Color Me Blue

when i'm looking up at you

He was blue in every sense of the word.

His denim jacket, slowly filling with muted patchwork, that never seemed to leave his shoulders. The blue tinge that covered his lips because he was always cold – so cold – no matter how much you turned up the heat to try and create some type of warmth. The color that was stained on his nails after you convinced him to let you paint them. He claimed it was never going to come off but he always said it with a tiny smile, as if he was happy that a piece of you would always be with him. You would intertwine his icy fingers between yours and squeeze, never wanting to forget that tiny smile.

His heart that pumped cerulean blood, running through the vessels and into the organs and settling inside the tissues. Perfusing to the surface and settling right beneath his skin, glowing in a way that would make you look twice because you could have sworn that you were seeing things. The chilling way his voice slid through the words that slipped through his lips, intertwining with ice as they brushed over your skin. You couldn’t help but shiver every time his breath warmed your ear.

His cheeks that were marked with the tracks of his tears, leaving permanent indentations over their preferred route. His chest would silently heave as he hid his face within his hands, hoping that blocking the world from his view meant that it would all slowly fade away. You would slowly pull his hands away and brush the salt water from his eyes, giving him that tiny smile that you hoped he would return.