Status: In the process of writing

And Like Icarus, We Flew Too Close to the Sun

Chapter 1

Flying in the early morning sky was the most peculiar animal: a black owl. What makes this peculiar more than the owl, was the fact that it was flying in the wee hours of the morning, when it should have been sleeping. No, this wasn't the most strangest thing to ever happen, especially to people who were used to this sort of thing. Descending to a quite cozy house, onto the ledge the of the second story window, the owl began to hoot and peck at the glass.

Young Freya Becket instantly awoke from her light slumber. The girl quickly jumped out of her bed and opened the window. "Come here, you. I bet you would like to have some treats. I was up waiting for you all night!" She scooped up the bird and began untying the letter from it's leg.

Indeed, the brown haired girl had stayed up most of the night waiting for her letter. Even when her aunt insisted on Freya going to bed at a decent hour. It didn't stop her though. In fact, she had done many things to keep her preoccupied so she could stay up as long as possible. Like reading two different books, flipping through her photo album, and even counting the stars she could see outside her window. But despite her attempts, little Freya had slowly drifted off to sleep looking at a moving photo of her parents.

Excitedly, Freya tore open the expected Hogwarts letter. She knew from the moment she started mysteriously making her brother's toys disappear that she was magical. Just like her brother and Aunt Sylie. Even like her father had been, before he was killed. Or at least that was what her aunt had told her. Then again, her Aunt knew these things. Seeing as she was a witch herself. Her brother had been wrong, thankfully! She wasn't going to be a no-maj, squib... or whatever it was.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Becket,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.Term begins on 1 September. We await you owl by no later that 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Squealing loudly, Freya gave the owl a quick kiss on the head and gave it some treats. It seemed the owl was used to this kind of behavior, if not worse. She took the other letter addressed to her older brother and scampered out of her room, down the stair to the kitchen where she knew her Aunt and brother, Sebastian, would be. They actually liked mornings. "Aunt Sylie! Aunt Sylie! I got my letter!" She waved the letter around excitedly.

The middle aged woman rolled her eyes and extended her hand to take the letter from her niece. "Well of course you did, you silly girl! Honestly, child. You are the brightest little thing, but sometimes I wonder where your senses go to!" Yet her British accent held no serious tone to it.

"But Bash told me I could have been a no maj!"

Tsk-ing, Sylvia Becket glared at her thirteen year old nephew with the same piercing blue-green eyes that stared back at her. "Oh, what does he know? He's a daft boy who's only in his third year." This earned a giggle from Freya and not so friendly mumbles from her brother.

Freya's mood suddenly shifted. Her thoughts went to her recently deceased muggle mother. "You think mother would have been happy for me?"

Her brother's grimace turned into a soft smile for his younger sister. "Of course she would have been!" Sebastian moved quickly to hug his sister close to him. He wasn't always so mean, this brother of her's.

Freya looked up to her brother and smiled. No words were needed.

~8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8~

July and August seemed to pass by in quite a blur for Freya. But nobody in the Becket household heard any complaints from her. She was elated knowing that school would be starting soon. Even Sebastian's roller coaster emotions of teenage angst wasn't as bad once the end of August rolled around.

On August 31st, Freya gleefully trudged along beside her brother. Since this would be his third year at Hogwarts, their Aunt left him in charge of helping his sister get the things she need for her first year at Hogwarts. And Sebastian took his task very seriously. Before getting her a wand and pet, the two siblings agreed to get her books and supplies first. That way, they could simply put it in her trunk and not have to worry about them later. Sebastian promised the best for last!

Pointing at Ollivander's, Sebastian gave his sister a slight nudge to the entrance. "He's a little odd, but Ollivander is the best at what he does. Don't be scared."

Freya scoffed. Her, scared? She did grow up with his nonstop pranks and insults. Breathing in a deep breath through her nose and exhaling, Freya opened the door and entered into the building. It took a few moments for Freya's eyes to adjust to the darkness, but instantly, curiosity got the best of her. Instead of calling out for the man, she made her way to the large shelves that held long boxes.

"Hello!" The old yet warm voice called. "First year, I see." Ollivander looked the girl up and down and then gazed into her eyes. Freya stared back bravely. "Aaaaah. I've seen your eyes before. Though much like your brother and father's, your's are much different. Full of curiosity. Thirsty for knowledge." A magical tape measure flew from behind his counter and tugged at Freya's arm to be out stretched.

Watching the old man go behind a few shelves, Freya's calm voice spoke out. "I've read that sometimes the third or fourth wand is usually the perfect one for the person it chooses. And other times, it takes only one try!" She smiled to herself. She enjoyed her books.

Finally, Ollivander came back around. He smiled at the girl. "The wand always chooses the witch or wizard. So yes, it does take quite a few tries, my dear." He opened the box and carefully pulled out a golden wand. "This marvelous golden-toned wand usually does best in the hands of the warm hearted, the generous and the wise. And you seem to have wise eyes. The core is White River Monster spine that produces spells of force and elegance. In your hands, I hope it produces some of the greatest magic. Now, give it a flick."

Before Freya could even flick the golden wand, the room began to brighten up and become pleasantly warm. Goosebumps were forming on her arms and she began to feel quite joyful. "Wow!" She breathed out.

Ollivander chuckled. "Wow indeed! I do believe the wand has taken quite a liking to you! Seven galleons!"

Freya thanked Ollivander and handed him seven galleons. She quickly made her way out. Thankfully, her brother was still waiting. Their last stop was to get her either a cat, an owl, or a toad. Instantly, she fell in love with a slate grey owl. The female owl took an instant liking to the young girl as well. Rubbing it's head with her finger, Freya said, "I'll name her Artemis. After the Greek moon goddess!" Her brother rolled his eyes and mumbled something that sounded like nerd.

That night, in her rented room belonging to the Leaky Cauldron, Freya was holding a picture of a woman that had seen better years. The woman had light brown hair and similar features as she did. Stroking the picture one last time, she put it under her pillow and began to ready herself for bed, her thoughts lingering on her mother. She only wished she could remember her mother as fondly as her brother. Sadly, Freya remembered the frail and sad woman their mother had been before she died.

Melody Becket had once been a very beautiful woman. She was compassionate, generous, and as open minded as one could get. She had loved her children very much, nobody could deny that. But once her beloved husband had died, the children's mother sunk into a deep depression. She even went as far as moving the children to America, in hopes that getting away from her late husband's home country would lessen the hurt and pain she felt. Freya was only a baby when her father had died. And six when their mother passed. Their Aunt Sylvia was never far from the children. She was the only sane one able to care for her deceased brother's offspring and teach them about the magical world as if they were her own.

But Freya's dreams weren't of her mother. No, they were of Hogwarts!
♠ ♠ ♠
Greetings, fellow readers and writers! I am very pleased to announce that I'm finally writing again! I've been stuck in a rut for quite some time: writer's block being my main problem. But with recent events in my life, I feel like it's my time to actually start writing and stick with it. And for now, I'm going to just stick with one story and not concentrate on any other ideas in my head! This will be my non-human baby, seeing as I already have a baby!

Lately, I've been reading a lot of fan fiction in the Harry Potter universe. So I'm really excited to start this story! Really, I'm just ready to begin this new and exciting journey! I promise you, I will not give up on this! My deepest hope is that you all will enjoy my story!

Feel free to leave constructive criticism, reviews, and even messages. It's all very welcome! If you want a chapter dedicated to you or anything, shoot me a message! If there is an idea just bursting at the seams in your head and you want me to add it in, definitely let me know. I'm going to try and keep this as close to the canon as I can possibly make it. Maybe a slight AU. But really, this story focuses on characters who weren't necessarily major in the books and films.

Disclaimer: I do not own the writes nor did I create the Harry Potter world. That's all J.K Rowling!