Sparks |Levi Ackerman Werewolf AU|

The Outsider

The second the soles of my black riding boots stepped off the bus and onto the rather vacant sidewalk I felt so out of place. The familiar overwhelming sense of discomfort that had built up the entire trip here suddenly washed over me. This wasn’t home. This wasn’t my territory. My surroundings were completely unknown to me. Was there anyone who inhabited this land already? And if there was…were they friendless who’d allow a lone wolf such as myself to roam freely on their territory?

With only a backpack to carry and a suitcase to drag along, I made my way down the path in search for a motel to get me by for the next few days. Being just outside the main heart of the city known as Trost, it wasn’t all that difficult. I stood in front of a small one story motel that had only a few cars occupying its lot, though rather sketchy, it’s what I had to deal with; the scent of human is all I got from it which is what I needed – what I could deal with right off the bat.

“Excuse me, miss. I’d like a room please.” I asked the old lady at the counter as soon as I stepped through the glass door.

“I need to see some ID first.”

“Oh yes, sorry.” I dug through my backpack which had my purse, took out my wallet and handed her my ID. She barely glanced at it before handing it back.

“How many nights?” She asked without a care in the world, her tired eyes now focused on the computer screen.

“Umm…about a week perhaps. You see, I just moved here and-”

“Room 7, here’s your key.” She cut me off as she handed me a key with a laminated card attached to it.

Pft…rude much.

I took the key nonetheless, thanking her for the time knowing I wouldn’t get a response back, and readily made it to my room where I placed my belongings on the plain, neatly made, white bedspread. I hailed a cab with my cell phone with another goal in sight…finding a job in the city…

***

If I was nervous stepping off that bus, I was probably near a panic attack at this point as I stood in front of a café called Stone Mountain Café. The scent of unfamiliar werewolf was all around me and coming strong out of the cozy building. The only thing keeping me from high tailing it in the opposite direction was the HELP WANTED sign posted in the window on the atmospheric looking building. Its lovely arches leading into the outdoor patio with purple floral vines weaving through it. Polished, dark oak tables with cushioned seats lined within the black vintage style fence. I can only imagine how beautiful it looked on the inside…

But that lingering reminder kept nagging at my mind, at my instincts. This wasn’t my territory. I’m a stranger. An outcast. A rouge in their minds first and foremost. Unwelcomed as far as I know. Still…this place was my best shot at starting over. Starting fresh with a new life. This is where my experience lies and the opportunity is right there for the taking. I’m not about to let it go to waste simply because I was practically trespassing.

They wouldn’t do something to me in public. Not with humans around. I can do this. Show no mercy. Keep your chin up, head held high like you always have. Don’t let this get you down Danielle. You’re strong. Besides they could be friendly…

I marched into the café, the bell chiming at my entrance above me. And I was right. The inside was just as beautiful. Wood flooring, light glossy half stoned walls upon warm dark cream colored walls, a fairly large dark stone trickling water fountain decorated with lotus and bamboo was on the opposite side of the door surrounded by two loveseats and a glass coffee table, same tables and cushioned seats that were outside framed the outer walls near the windows and down the center, healthy green potted plants all around gave life to the café as Zen music played softly overhead.

“Good afternoon, how-” The strawberry blonde lady behind the counter began, her amber eyes widened in shock and realization at the sight of me. She knew. “How may I help you miss?” She continued once she quickly composed herself.  I gaze a quick glance at a random business man, human, who sat at one of the tables sipping his tea before directing my attention back to the smiling lady. With a friendly smile on my face, showing that I wasn’t near a threat at all, I approached with eyes set forward.

“Hey I saw your sign out front and was wondering if I could apply for an opening you have? I used to work in a bakery for 5 years and this place is just too lovely to pass up.” Her eyes brightened and a true smile graced her face when she took note of my genuine smile, reading me as not a threat.

“Of course! Follow me, my names Petra by the way and I own the place. Krista could you come up front please, I’m going to talk to…” She trailed off.

“Danielle.” I added for her.

“Danielle about the job opening.” A teenager with blonde hair and bright blue eyes stepped out from the back door, werewolf as well but she didn’t seem bothered by my new face. Instead she gave me a curious look then smiled.

“Not a problem, I’d be happy too.” Krista cheerful smiled as she took her post up front while Petra led me to the back room.

***

After a rather long conversation about my experiences working in a bakery, what I can offer for her business, making a pot of loose leaf earl grey tea to test my skill drink making skills, it was time to get a little personal. Now, this wasn’t normal for a job interview but being as who we really are there was no getting around it.

“What brought you to Trost? Do you…have a pack? Or a mate even?” Her eyes drifted to my neck after she asked.

“I’m a loner just trying to find a place to finally settle. I uh, I don’t have a pack nor a mate.” I smile, giving her the broadest answer I could give. And it was the truth no doubt but as Petra eyes lingered on me she knew it wasn’t giving her the complete truth. However, she chose not to push it, giving a satisfied nod to the answer instead.

“You realize I have to report to my alpha that you’re here, especially if you plan on staying.” Petra smiled with sympathy. I shuttered at the thought of having to talk with the alpha. It was bound to happen I know. Not now though, I’m not ready. “But I won’t.” I looked at her confused. My hazel eyes basically telling her ‘why would you do that for me?’

“You could get in to some serious trouble…” I trailed off, not wanting that to fall on someone all because of me.

“I know someone like you who was once a loner. You’re not a rogue so I’m giving you a chance.”

“You’re giving me the job?” I nearly beamed. She smiled earnestly and nodded her head. I sprung from my chair and took her in a hug along the way. “Oh thank you! You have no idea what this means to me!” She laughed nervously while giving me an awkward pat on the back. My eyes widened in realization as to what I had done so I immediately let her go. “Sorry about that.” I laughed uneasily. Though I got the job, meaning I’d be living here, I was still considered an outcast to Petra and her pack.

“Don’t worry about it. Just know you won’t be able to hide forever. I’ll do what I can until you’re ready to talk to him but if someone else feels the need to report you I won’t be able to help.”

“Understood, I’ll try my best and prepare myself. Just need a little time to…adjust. That’s all.”

***

When I closed the motel door behind me it felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders; though still heavy, a little can still make a difference. I walked over to my suitcase and took the small photo album I had filled entirely with past memories. The first picture to be seen was of me in between my smiling, happy parents. A birthday cake with 10 candles was placed directly in front of me. Streamers framed the top and confetti littered the table. A dab of pastel blue frosting was on the tip of my nose. Such simpler times. Oh to be a kid again…

“I’m going to make you both proud. Just you wait and see.”
 
*~No one’s POV~*
A man in a nicely pressed black suit with a white cravat tucked inside his shirt, walked into Stone Mountain café just as it was about to close. Something had been off but he couldn’t pinpoint what exactly it was. A new scent, though faint, was in the air when he entered. It stood out amongst the rest within his memory. Apple blossom and jasmine. Though he wasn’t complaining about the beautiful aroma – a thought he’d surely keep to himself – he understood a rare scent such as this couldn’t belong to a human.

“Petra,” The man addressed, his grey-blue eyes watching as the woman scrubbed away at the countertops as she prepared to close down. “Has anything…peculiar happened today?” He questioned as he took a seat at the nearest table while Petra came around and poured him his usual cup of earl grey tea.

“No, why do you ask?” She asked confidently.

“I smell an outsider.” She never faltered as she moved back behind the counter, nor did she respond to the comment. “So you’re telling me you didn’t notice anything?” She shrugged.

“It’s possible if one had come through.” She started as she looked up, almost as if in thought. But the man narrowed his eyes, catching this subtle indirect action that only he really knew about. “If an outside had stopped by it must have happened while I was on my break. Whatever the case, they’re gone now right?” She concluded. Again, the man narrowed his eyes.

“I suppose.” He ended with the interrogation, not believing her in the slightest yet trusting her instinct on this. So he took the porcelain cup, holding it by the rim in that unusual way of his, and brought it to his lips. His eyes widened just a millimeter at the taste. This was different and in a good way. Yet…it was familiar at the same time. Petra couldn’t have prepared this batch.

“Do you like your tea Levi?” Petra asked as she started packing away what few pastries and other baked goods were left.

“Yes…” Levi trailed off in a low mumble which went unheard by the woman who didn’t seem to care for an answer, only simply looking to make small talk. He swirled the tea around in contemplation. It was still earl grey but not the blend he’d been drinking for the past few years he’s been here. Then out of the corner of his eye, something caught his attention. Or rather, a lack of something that had caught his attention.

The HELP WANTED sign was gone.

Petra most certainly didn’t prepare this batch. Levi quickly finished his tea and brought the empty cup to the counter for Petra, placing it next to the equally empty kettle.

“Clean this shit up.”