Sparks |Levi Ackerman Werewolf AU|

Can't Hide

I was ecstatic when Petra asked me for my insight in regards to bakery goods. She wanted to expand that area of her shop – selling only bagels, some cookies, and scones – and with my experience she wanted to give it a go. Maybe it’d bring in more customers since majority of them come in during the early hours which leaves the rest of the day rather slow for us. So I had a plate laid out in front of Petra and Krista with some samples I made in the back.

“Crepes, cream puffs, and lemon bars were popular items where I worked. We could try adding these to the menu if you like. Just to see how it goes then add more later on if the people seem to like what I have to offer. As long as they pass your test.” I laughed as both Petra and Krista looked down at the sweets with stars in their eyes.

“These look and smell amazing Danielle!” Petra exclaimed. “I don’t know where to start.” The door chimed near after hours. Right on time like clockwork. “Levi come try one. Danielle here made them.”  

“Tch.” Was all he said as he took his usual spot at the table, his eyes lingering on me longer than the other two.

He still doesn’t trust me fully.

I shook my head but walked around the counter, carrying a cup and tea kettle with me. I placed said cup in front of Levi and poured him his tea.

“Did you make this?”

“It’s not poisoned if that’s what you’re wondering.”

“Tch, I wasn’t you brat.” I shrugged, though not surprised by the attitude, and placed the kettle on the table for him in case he wanted more.

“These are amazing! They have to be on the menu!” Petra exclaimed, a half-eaten cream puff in her hand.

“Agreed! You have a natural talent Miss.” Krista said, the lemon bar in her hand and I laughed as I made my way back around the counter.

“Please, don’t call me Miss. We’re co-workers. Call me Danielle or Dani. And it’s not natural. My mother taught me as soon as I could pick up a spoon. Not the wisest decisions now that I think about it. You should have seen how dirty the kitchen would get.” Both girls laughed and in the distance I caught a quick glimpse of Levi shuddering. “Dad would get so upset.” I smiled, my eyes looking off in a thoughtful, blissful daze. “But as soon as he’d see me all covered in flour and chocolate frosting smudged on my lips, mom holding out a tray of cupcakes with a guilty smile on her face, he’d forget about it entirely.”

“So…” Krista began, “why aren’t you with them now? Your pack. Why’d you decide to become a lone wolf?”

“Krista.” Petra scolded her under her breath. I lifted my hand up, telling her there was no harm.

“It’s…not a simple answer I can give.”

“And it’s her personal business brat.” Levi cut in, catching all of us off guard when he had suddenly appeared up front with us. His hard stare was focused on Krista who now had her head down and eyes glued to the counter-top practically feeling the Beta authority he had over her. “Business you don’t need to concern yourself with.”

“Was that really called for? Name calling?” I asked concerned over my innocent friend and co-worker, someone who would wish no harm on anyone, but Levi here didn’t bother to care to answer. Instead, he took out his wallet from the inside pocket of his black suit jacket, flipped it open and tossed a $10 bill on the counter. There I saw it. The badge. Those iconic wings. “You work for the Survey Corps?” I asked as I got his change together.

“Obviously.”

“That’s dangerous work helping solve those unusual crimes. Some of those criminals end up being rogues correct?”

“Majority of them do but the humans don’t know that. They just see sick people. We tend to want to keep it that way so keep your mouth shut about it.” I handed him his changed but he just waved it off. “Keep it. I don’t need it filling up more space.” I looked to Krista who just shrugged and pocketed the little extra cash.

“Levi here is the top agent they have.” Petra began, smiling up at Levi from where she sat. “Alpha Erwin personally offered him to join.”

“Offered? If you want to call it that.”

“What do you mean?” I asked confused.

“Levi-”

“Don’t you dare say another word to this outsider.” Levi growled with authority. It stung. The constant reminder I wasn’t a part of their pack. “You have no right.” And before any of us could get out another word he had stormed out of the café. The tension in the air never left with him though.

“I’m sorry I shou-” Petra started but I shook my head.

“I should be the one apologizing. I shouldn’t have asked about it in the first place. No reason for me to pry into his personal life.” Petra and Krista hung their heads in quiet shame. “He’s right you know. I’m an outsider.” Silence. “I should probably go, it’s getting late.” I said as I placed the left-over crepe in a container, having lost my appetite. “Could you do me a favor though Petra?” She nodded.

“Sure, anything.”

“You seem pretty close with Levi so I’m assuming you know where he lives?” I asked a little timidly. She tilted her head, confused. “I want to deliver this to him in person.” I clarified, holding up the container. “I’d ask you to do it but I thought I’d apologize.”

***

I stood on the sidewalk in front of a nice cottage home, a halo of a streetlight overhead giving me light in the dark night. There was only one light on in the entire house. Up on the top floor on the right side.

Better make this quick.

I walked down the narrow step-stone path that lead up to the door with the crepe still in my hand and rang the doorbell. Inside, I could hear soft shuffling and the sound of soft footsteps making their way down the stars. Still…the door never opened but I knew he was standing just on the other side of it; his scent coming strong.

“I know you’re there Levi.” I stated softly. “Don’t think I can’t hear you.” He still wouldn’t open the door. “I just…came by to apologize. Face-to-face. Can you give me that at least? So I didn’t come all this way for nothing?” I sighed heavily, realizing how stubborn this man could be but knowing I could be just as. “I’m not leaving here until you do. I’d be more than happy to camp out here and catch you in the morning if I have to. Make you late for work, are you sure you want that?”

“Would you shut the hell up?!” Levi growled annoyed on the other side of the still closed door.

“I will if you let me in for a second.” A click was heard and the door swung open rather harshly. Victory. “Thank you.” I smiled and stepped in. The lights in the hall and living room flickered on and I was amazed at how clean the place was. Not that I pictured Levi to be a messy person but this…this just seemed obsessive. “Uh, nice place you got here. Very…clean.”

“Shoes.” Levi demanded. It was then I got a good look at the man in actual casual, lounge around at home kind of clothes. A form fitting white wife beater tank that showed off his tone arms and thin black sweatpants that hung from his hips. My cheeks began to warm up as my mind began to wonder and my eyes along with it.
“Oi!” I shook my head and cleared my throat.

“Pardon?”

“You heard me brat. I don’t need to repeat myself.” I rolled my eyes and took my shoes off in front of the door as Levi made his way into the living room. “And next time be a little more subtle when you want to check me out.” I growled out of annoyance and followed him in.

“I wasn’t “checking you out” so don’t flatter yourself.” Levi sat down on his dark brown soft microfiber couch while I sat on the matching love-seat across from him; a coffee table between us.

“Oh? Then what do you call it?” He asked with one leg crossed over the other and one arm outstretched, relaxing, on the back of the couch. My face grew even darker as I quickly looked away and was in desperate need to find anything else more appealing to help distract my mind.

What the hell is wrong with me?

“We’re getting off topic.” I said rather quickly, wanting nothing more than to change the subject. “Look, I came here to apologize for asking too much. It’s not my business to know about your past if you don’t want to share. I crossed a line so here.” I placed the container down on the coffee table. “I’m sure you’ll like it.” Levi rose an eyebrow. Looked at the container, up at me then back at the container without saying a word. “It’s a peace offering just take it.” Levi just stared at me now making me squirm out of discomfort from where I sat. Wish I could disappear right about now…

“You can’t hide forever.” Him too?

“I’m right here aren’t I? I wouldn’t exactly call this hiding.”

“I’m not talking about that idiot.” I narrowed my eyes at him as I tried to get a good read on him but couldn’t.

“What do you mean?”

“You may have everyone else fooled but not me. I’ve been keeping an eye you this past week and I see the look in your eyes. You hide behind a mask to fool those around you. Maybe you’re trying to fool yourself into thinking everything is ok. Thinking, if you keep this up long enough it’ll become a part of you that eventually you won’t have to even worry about it. But you and I both know that’s not going to work.” My heart raced and my shell was starting to crumble little by little. “If you keep this up long enough it will eat you. Question is, are you just going to sit back and let that happen?”

“Are you profiling me? You can’t really know me just by observation.”

“I’m damn good at my job. Besides, I don’t have to know you. When I look at you I see a little of me.”

***

Levi’s words had really struck a chord with me. My mind was buzzing with so many thoughts, questions, and what-if scenarios that I couldn’t keep it all together. Just a big jumbled chaotic mess and I had no idea how to make it stop. He was right. It was eating me. But was it too late to stop it?

The only thing we are allowed to do is to believe that we won’t regret the choice we made…There is nothing I regret.

I didn’t get much sleep that night.

When I look at you I see a little of me.