Status: Science Fiction! This is not a zombie story!

The Second Deimos: Unfortunate Planet

Teleport

The father watched in terror as his daughter vanished before him. She had gone up to the strange receptacle holding the false purple fire, and within seconds she had vanished. He forced himself to remain calm. She didn’t completely dissolve before him. Her hand went through and the flame seemed fine at first. He touched it with a curiosity. His hand went through the purple flame of the tube and he was not vaporized.

The man took in a weak inhale, “this technology is a bit beyond what I’m used to seeing… but it’s not so different from our own. We’ve got some theoretical science made into reality here… what could a big purple vaporizing machine be used for in front of all these other people!” His hand swept out motioning toward all the other pods that may have once contained humans. He took a step back, took a moment to analyze, and let the gears start to wind in his head.

“She stepped up, and then she was gone. She didn’t scream… so… she hopefully wasn’t in any pain. The energy is low… but the heat grew as she was in it…”

The man gave an aggravated moan, “what is your purpose!” He chucked his gas mask at purple illuminated tube and the mask vanished within the few moments it resided inside of the chamber. The man cried out throwing his hand hopelessly into the air.

“She’s probably not dead… I hope…” panic was just barely gripping his mind, he wanted to hope for the best. “Even if she did die, I suppose being vaporized is better than letting the parasites get to you… it would be better this way, right?” The man walked over and swung a terrified angry punch at a cryo-pod on the floor. His knuckles impacted with the metal and all the harshness of pain one might expect from such a foolish action flooded his nervous system. Tears welled at his eyes as the skin around his knuckles began to inflame from the self inflicted damage.

“This is not the time to panic!” he growled loudly to himself, “now think! Look around!”

He slumped against the abandoned cryo-pod staring at that purple flame. “If I woke up, this is the first thing I would see… that or one of the workers who stayed awake down the hall… but one of the two. Now what would this… purple thing signify to me?”

He placed his hands at his temples and rubbed them with frustration. “Only workers… things workers might need… but not enough space open for all these people to move about… and there isn’t any exit aside from the smashed room with a window.”

His eyes brightened, “there’s no exit here!” he exclaimed. “Is it possible… could something like this still be working on such little energy? No, no… its impossible… even we couldn’t come up with a stable model…”

The man examined what he was beginning to suspect to be a teleporter with caution. “Well…” he concluded, “the only way to find out is to go after my Alia… I can only hope it has been set to the same location.” The man jumped up onto the tube with the large purple flame, allowing it to envelop his body, “I’m coming for you Alia!” He yelled and the room before him began to vanish as he entered into a new one.

“Alia!” The father yelled.