‹ Prequel: Deeply Bound

Something Desired

A Text to Devon

Today was alright, I did the usual, a bit of work, a bit of writing and a bit of helping Sara with her honey do list at the end of the day.

It’s late in the evening and I find myself on the couch relaxing beside Sara as she is totally wrapped up in her medical series show. Things have not been the greatest between us but today has been decent. I’m not really into her show but I watch it with her because it seems to make her happy.
Every day seems to get a little better with her. I glance at her while she watches her show and get the feeling of how things were before the cruise. Sara seems like she is okay. I mean she seems a little less pissed off at me. I hope we can get back to that point. I know it will take a while.
My phone vibrates in my pocket and I just know it has to be Jordan. I haven’t heard from her all day. I glance over at Sara who has not taken notice to the vibrating noise of my phone. I decide that it is safe and I get up from my spot.

Sara asks, “Are you heading upstairs?”

I say, “Yes, I need to go to the bathroom then get a drink. I’ll be back down in a few.”

She regards me for a moment, as though she is trying to scan me with her eyes to see if I am being honest with her but that look to her leaves her eyes as mine meets hers. It is like she is consciously trying to hide her doubts from me. I don’t react to it. Her efforts to try to keep her doubts concealed, I take as a sign that she wants this good streak that we are on to last.

She asks, “Can you bring me down a light beer?”

I nod and head upstairs, taking my phone out of my pocket once I am at the top of the stairs and out of sight. I glance at the screen, it is Jordan, just as I had thought and my momentum of walking to the restroom comes to a grinding halt as I process the message on the screen. She has had the baby. I knew it was going to happen soon but without warning it has happened, she is here, her little girl. A picture of the newborn flashes up on my screen.

She is beautiful, wow I don’t know what to say except some congratulations message to her, I press send but know that it doesn’t truly convey how I feel without actually being there. Our conversation is short as I know Jordan is tired and messaged me as a courtesy. We say goodbye and I just forgot what I was doing. Oh yah, ugh, washroom and Sara wants a beer.

I return to my spot next to Sara with her beer in hand. She takes the bottle, glances at it then back at me.

I ask, “What?”

“You brought be down one of your beers.”

“I’m sorry, your right. You wanted a light beer.”

She says, “It is okay I can drink yours if you don’t mind.”

I get up again and extend my arm to offer to take the beer back, “It’s okay, I don’t mind, it’s my fault, I can go get a light one for you.”

She hands the beer and I head upstairs.