‹ Prequel: Good for You
Sequel: Same Old Love

Hands to Myself

Two

The next afternoon, Sarah slid into a booth across from Cassidy and Liz with an ear to ear smile that she aimed right at Liz.

“What?” She asked.

“You and John.”

“There is no me and John.”

“Bull shit. I saw him when he saw you talking to Marcin. I saw the way he talked to you. I saw him give you his number. I saw him lead you back over to us and stay within five feet of you all night. John likes you, he's liked you for awhile, and finally he manned up and did something.”

Liz blushed. “He doesn't like me. He just said we should hang out, because you and Cass are gonna leave soon.”

“Do you remember the first time we met?”

“Yes.”

“You had just banged Latts.”

She blushed harder. “I didn't bang Michael. We made out a lot a few times and that was it.”

“That was it, really?” Cassidy asked.

“Maybe there was some heavy petting involved also.”

“You thought about it,” Sarah said.

“Of course I did! He's gorgeous, and those freaking arms. If you weren't married and happily banging your husband, you'd think about it too.”

Sarah paused and then shrugged a moment later. “Yeah, I probably would. Him and Tommy are both pretty damn good looking.”

All three women shared a laugh. “What do you think of John?” Cassidy asked a moment later.

“He's very nice,” Liz answered diplomatically.

“And hot,” Sarah chimed in. “John is a walking, talking chocolate dreamboat.”

“Sarah!” Liz hissed, bushing again.

She laughed. “Your blush gives you away. You like him.”

“Okay, maybe I do think he's attractive.”

“When we met and I told you I had someone I could introduce you to if you were interested, I meant John. I had a feeling after meeting you that you two would click.”

“We haven't clicked yet.”

“There is an attraction on both sides. That's clicking,” Sarah said.

“How is everything with Tom?” Liz said as she turned to Cassidy.

“Tom is great,” she answered brightly. “He is a changed boyfriend since we first met.”

Liz knew that was true. After going radio silent for several days when the relationship wasn't even a week old, she hadn't been sure if Tom deserved the second chance with her best friend. But Cass believed in him, so she believed in him too. He had been a rock star boyfriend ever since.

“Kelly said y'all babysat for her and Justin last week,” Sarah spoke up.

“We did,” Cassidy replied. “It was fun but I am definitely not ready for kids of my own anytime soon.”

Sarah smiled softly. “I am. I mean, I didn't think I was but when I found out I was pregnant, I was so happy and when I told Mike, seeing how happy he was got me even more excited.”

“Well I hope we get the chance to babysit for you guys.”

“Me too,” she sighed wistfully. “I just want Mike to be happy and playing hockey makes him happy. Well, that and fishing but fishing is boring. At least I enjoy myself at a hockey game.”

“Fishing isn't that boring. It's fun,” Cassidy said.

“Which is exactly why you are coming to visit us in Kenora and you and Mike can go fishing and Tommy and I will do something fun, like get pedicures.”

“Or Mike and I could teach you both how to fish.”

“Pass!”

They giggled and a waitress appears to take their order. A moment after she left, Liz’s phone chimed with an incoming text. She blushed when she saw John’s name and tried to flip the phone face down but Sarah snagged it from her first.

“Yeah, you totally don't like each other,” she teased. “I know I said let's get dinner when I come back from Raleigh but how about right before I leave instead?” She read.

“That's sweet,” Cassidy said. “I like John.”

“I thought you wanted me to give Michael a chance?” Liz replied.

“I did in the beginning but I know from hanging out with him that you two would never work. He's not ready to grow up and that's fine. When Latts is ready, the right girl will fall into his lap.”

“That's how it works. When you're not looking, love finds you,” Sarah added. “So answer the guy already and tell him you'd love to have dinner tonight. I mean, you would love to have dinner with him, right?”

“If I didn't, do you think I'd tell you?” Liz answered with a smile. “Give me back my phone so I can say yes.”