‹ Prequel: Good for You
Sequel: Same Old Love

Hands to Myself

Three

A week after the playoffs ended for the Caps in May, Sarah and Mike packed up and headed for their home in Ontario. Tom and Cassidy left a week after that. John had left town in between the two couples, leaving Liz alone in DC for a week before John would be back. Since their first dinner date three weeks prior, they had seen each other a few times, including twice when John had joined the girls for playoff games.

Their dates had been fairly standard as far as getting to know you first dates went. They had been out to dinner a few times, a movie once, and out to the bar twice with Cassidy. They texted each day, and while he was home with his family, he called one evening too. It had been nice, the dates no pressure and despite John’s status around town, low key as well.

Liz was looking forward to John’s arrival back into town and had offered to pick him up from the airport. A teammate had dropped him off when he had left town so she knew he didn't have a car parked in the long term lot and thought picking him up was nicer than him having to take a cab. She was anxiously counting down the hours until she needed to leave to get him, surprising herself with how much she wanted to see him again.

When the time finally rolled around for her to leave, she was antsy waiting in traffic, constantly checking her phone, afraid she was going to be late. Finally she reached the airport and parked, waiting for a text that John had landed. When her phone dinged a few minutes after parking, she reached for it excitedly, fumbling and dropping it. She cursed under her breath, leaning across the console to grab it out of the floor. She sighed as she read the message from Cassidy.

So????

So what?

Have you picked up John yet?

How do you know I'm picking up John?

Because John told Sarah, and Tom and I are in Kenora with Mike and Sarah.

Did you go fishing with Mike yet?

This morning and don't change the subject.

Did you catch anything?

LIZ!

I'm waiting on his flight to get in, okay?

And then what?

I don't know. We didn't make any plans, just that I was picking him up.

You like him. You really, really like him.

He is very nice and I enjoy spending time with him, okay? Now, did you catch anything?

Yes I did and it was a lot of fun fishing with Mike. He knows some really great outdoorsmen here that took us out this morning.

And how is Tom?

Great. He took Sarah for mani/pedis and massages.

How is Sarah?

Glowing. I’m not even kidding, Liz. Pregnancy agrees with her. She’s so cute with her little bump and Mike just dotes on her.

They were always so cute together whenever we went out with them.

It’s ten times cuter. I want to be as happy as they are one day.

You will. I mean, you and Tom are already pretty adorable together.

:)

Have you guys seen Michael since you left town?

No but I think we’re getting dinner with him when we head back to Toronto. They aren't going to re-sign him so who knows where he’ll be playing next year.

Wherever it is, I hope he finds someone like Tom did with you.

Too bad it didn’t work out for you and him. You could be here too.

I think it worked out better, at least for me.


Liz’s phone dinged, signaling a new text from John, letting her know that his plane had landed and he was waiting for his bags. She texted back that she would circle by the arrival terminal for him and then sent a quick message to Cassidy.

Talk to you tomorrow. John’s plane landed. Tell Sarah and Mike and Tom I said hello!