‹ Prequel: Good for You
Sequel: Same Old Love

Hands to Myself

Four

And you should know if I could
I'd breathe you in every single day

~*~*~


Liz had to circle through the arrivals terminal three times before she saw John outside and then a fourth time to snag a spot to park in. She opened the trunk and John stowed his bags and quickly jumped into the passenger seat, trying to avoid too many people from noticing him. Liz pulled away from the curb as he buckled.

“Thank you for picking me up,” John said.

“Not a problem,” Liz smiled.

“I was thinking maybe we could hang out at my place tonight, order in some dinner, watch a movie,” John suggested casually.

He hadn’t invited her to his place before. Their nights had always ended with John dropping her off at home before going home himself. This seemed like a step forward in a relationship she wasn’t yet sure of the boundaries of.

“That sounds nice,” she replied. “But can I ask you a question?”

“Shoot.”

“What are we doing?”

“Dating. At least I thought so.”

“Are you dating other people?”

“No.”

“No one?”

“No one. Are you?”

“No.”

“So we’re dating each other and only each other.”

“Yes. So this is a relationship?”

“If you need me to ask, I will. Will you be my girlfriend, Liz?”

She blushed. “I didn’t mean...”

John cut her off. “I did mean it. I like you. I like spending time with you, and talking to you, and getting to know you, and I like you in my life.”

“I like you in my life too,” Liz admitted shyly.

“So I can tell Sarah this is an official thing then? Because she has been bugging me all week about you.”

Liz laughed. “Cassidy texted me while I was waiting asking about you. She and Tom are with Sarah and Mike this week.”

“She’s crazy, but damn if she ain’t a hell of a friend. I’ve known Sarah for almost a year now and I don’t know how I’ve lived this long without her as a friend. She’s as true as they come. And Mike is a solid dude. Lesser guys would have flipped their shit with the way Sarah is with me but Mike trusts her and it’s a beautiful thing you know? Their love is so pure and true. They’ve been through shit, but they went through it together.”

“Cassidy and I joke that Mike and Sarah are relationship goals but truthfully, they are. They’re so good together and I think everyone aspires to find a soulmate like that.”

“I know I do,” John said, reaching across to grab Liz’s hand. She blushed again and John chuckled. “I like the effect I have on you.”

“You would. You’re not the one blushing red like a tomato.”

“A really pretty tomato.”

“Just tell me how to get to your place and save the compliments for when we aren't comparing me to fruit.”