‹ Prequel: Good for You
Sequel: Same Old Love

Hands to Myself

Five

In late July, almost six weeks since they became official, John was picking Sarah and Mike up from the airport as Liz put the finishing touches on dinner at home.

It was weird still for her to think of John’s place as home but it was. Two weeks after they had their talk, John had asked her to move in. She had started staying over at his place after the night he got back into DC and despite whatever was happening moving fast, they both felt completely at ease in their relationship. Four weeks in, John asked her to marry him. It was absolutely insane but it also felt right and utterly perfect.

They had not told their friends the news yet. Their families knew but they wanted to tell their friends in person and they wanted to start with Sarah. Liz twisted at her engagement ring anxiously as she glanced at the time on the stove, expecting John to walk in at any minute. It wasn't an obnoxiously oversized diamond because Liz wasn't the girl who needed people to see the ring from space and John wasn't the type that needed to show off his wealth with the gifts he gave. Instead it was a pear shaped two carat diamond, set in a vintage style white gold band with filigree work that weaved between smaller accent diamonds, making the band resemble vines with leaves. It had taken Liz’s breath away when John proposed and it still did every time she looked at it, even now two weeks since the night.

Thirty minutes later, Liz heard John's key in the door as she took chicken out of the oven. She set it on the counter and wiped her hands, stepping out into the living room to greet everyone. John pulled her into his arms and kissed her and Sarah squealed.

“I knew you two would be good together!” She exclaimed as they separated.

Liz blushed as she stepped towards Sarah to hug her. “It's good to see you too, Sarah.”

“How are you? Is John making time for you in between training for next season?”

“Of course I am,” John spoke up.

“He is,” Liz agreed.

“Plus I asked her to move in so I can see her even more.”

“It's fast though,” Sarah replied as they moved towards the couch.

“Maybe,” John shrugged. “But I asked her to marry me too so what's really fast when you're in love?”

“YOU’RE ENGAGED?!” Sarah shrieked

John smiled and held Liz’s hand out to her. “We’re engaged.”

“Congratulations, man,” Mike said, clapping his hand to John's shoulder.

“Oh my god,” Sarah breathed. “The ring is stunning.”

“Thank you,” Liz said quietly.

“I'm so happy for y'all,” Sarah told her, tugging the other woman into another hug. “When are you getting married?”

“I want to get married before the season starts but Liz wants to wait until next summer,” John answered.

“You moved in together and got engaged all in six weeks. Might as well go head first into the deep end,” Mike said.

“That's the part I'm afraid of,” Liz replied. “That we're moving too fast.”

“No such thing,” Sarah said dismissively. “My parents got married three months after they met and they were happy every day and I know they still would be if she hadn't passed.”

Mike squeezed her hand in his and pulled her close. “We’re both really happy for you.”

“Thanks, Mike,” John grinned.

“You'll come to our vow renewal, won't you, Liz?” Sarah asked.

“I have a work commitment that week so I'll be at a conference in Kansas,” she answered. “But I wish I was going. After hearing Cassidy talk about how beautiful it was, I want to see it for myself.”

“You're welcome anytime, Liz,” Mike replied. “Because Sarah will accept any reason to have her friends visit.”