‹ Prequel: Good for You
Sequel: Same Old Love

Hands to Myself

Six

February 2017

Liz hurried through the halls under the Verizon Center on a Saturday evening, running late for the start of John’s game. She was rushing, hoping she'd make it to her seat in time for tip off when she rounded a corner and ran right into someone.

“Oh my god, I'm so sorry,” she immediately apologized. “I was in a hurry.”

The man she had run into turned, as did the two people with him. “Liz?” Michael Latta said with surprise.

“Michael? What are you doing here?”

He stepped around his friends and picked her up in a hug. “We play the Caps tomorrow but we got into town an hour ago. Sarah arranged for us to have tickets. We were just heading out.”

“Oh.”

“This is Jeff, he's one of my teammates, and his wife Julie.”

“It's nice to meet you both,” Liz smiled.

“You too,” Julie replied.

“Come on, we can head out together. You are sitting with Sarah, right?” Michael asked.

Liz nodded. “I am. She just didn't mention that it was a family reunion.”

Jeff laughed. “She wouldn't have. We just sprung this on her a few hours ago.”

Michael and Jeff led the way as Liz fell into step with Julie. “How do you know Michael?” Julie asked.

“My best friend Cassidy is dating Tom Wilson so we met because of them.”

Julie nodded. “I see. And you two?”

Liz shook her head. “Friends only.”

Julie nodded. “Sarah asked us to look out for him in LA. He's renting their house from them.”

“I think Cass had mentioned that. It sounds like he's having a good season too.”

“He is. We like having him on the team, and not just because he offers to babysit for us.”

“You two coming?” Jeff asked, interrupting their conversation. He offered his arm to his wife who happily took it and Liz walked beside Michael. When they reached the seats several rows off the floor, Sarah stood to greet everyone. By the time the seats were sorted out, Liz was between Cassidy and Michael, with Tom to his right, and Sarah, Julie, and Jeff to Cassidy's left.

As the starters made their way onto the court, John looked over to the group and smiled at them, laughing when Sarah stood and whistled loudly.

“Let's go Wizards! Let's go Wall!” She shouted.

He shook his head at her but flashed a thumbs up as he sought out Liz. When their eyes met, his smile softened and Liz lifted her hand to wave at him. He tapped his chest over his heart twice before their gazes broke and the game started.

“You and John?” Michael asked quietly, leaning towards her.

Liz looked up at him. “Me and John,” she confirmed.

He glanced down at her hands folded in her lap. “Congratulations.”

“Thank you.”

“I bet Sarah was happy you two got together.”

Liz giggled. “She was. You look happy. Less sour grapes for sure,” she teased him.

Michael chuckled. “Things are looking up for me in LA.”

“I'm glad to hear it. You deserve it.”

“Thanks. So when's your big day?”

“Oh, um, it already happened, back in October. It all happened really fast by conventional standard I guess but we threw caution to the wind and dived in.”

“How fast?”

“We started seeing each other in April, moved in together in May, got engaged in July, and then married.”

“Shit, you weren't kidding about fast,” Michael laughed. “You're happy?”

“Ecstatic.”

“Good for you, Liz.”

“Thanks. You seem more relaxed than when I met you last year, happier.”

“Well I am playing hockey every night so that's a nice change.”

“It's more than that, Michael. Your eyes say your content in life, comfortable in it. You met someone.”

He grinned. “Perhaps.”

“Does Sarah know?”

“I'm pretty sure Julie sends her weekly progress reports on me.”

Liz giggled. “She cares.”

“Too much, but I like it. She's good to have in your corner.”

Liz glanced over where Sarah laughed with Jeff and Julie. “Yes she is,” she agreed.

“Tell me about the wedding. I want to hear everything.”

~*~*~


“Hey, babe,” John said close to Liz’s ear after the game, squeezing her shoulders and kissing her cheek lightly.

“Good game tonight.”

“Thanks. Did y'all have fun?”

“Do you mean did we have fun listening to Sarah cheer for you?”

John chuckled. “She is loud, isn't she? Where is she anyway?”

“She went back to the hotel with Jeff and Julie. Cass and Tom took Latts with them. She said to tell you that she wants us to join her, Julie, and Cassidy for dinner before tomorrow nights game.”

He nodded. “Sounds good to me. I'll call her tomorrow and work out the details.”

“You ready to go home?”

“I'm ready to go anywhere and everywhere with you, Liz.”

She smiled and went onto the tips of her toes to kiss him sweetly. “I'm ready to go anywhere and everywhere with you too, Mr. Wall.”

“What are we waiting for then? Shall we, Mrs. Wall?” John asked, offering her his arm.

“We shall. Forever.”

“I like the sound of that.”

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy $@!* y'all!! I did not mean to wait a week to post this! I am so terribly sorry that I did not put this up sooner. I'm glad you've enjoyed and hopefully I'll share Latts story soon. You'll notice I decided to leave Latts in LA despite the Kings sending him to the AHL this year. Creative license though, this being fiction and all. As always, I have quite a few things in the works but I have been without muses for awhile now and find myself with a case of writers block. I am always open to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and ideas though. Quotes, songs, pictures, whatever; you never know what will inspire. :)