Status: Complete <3

Volanta

Chapter Eleven

Pippa had only been on a ship once before, when she was nine. They had traveled along the coast of Caslenia, north from Highgate to visit Pippa's great-aunt. The ship that her father had accrued for this journey was far sleeker and grander than the one that had taken them to White Marsh. It was called Good Fortune and it sat regally in the harbor. The captain was a brawny man with a scar on his left cheek named Vincent Sorenson. He was rather formidable, and didn't seem to smile much. But his first mate did enough talking for them both, and then some.

The two of them had come down to greet Pippa, Nigel and Oliver on the docks. Colette was sobbing into a handkerchief while Oliver tried to comfort her, looking awkward. Elliot just seemed incredibly put out with having to be there at all, and Harry just looked like he didn't know what to make of all this. Captain Sorenson had introduced himself formally and shaken Nigel and Oliver's hands, but his first mate's attention had immediately landed on Pippa and he flashed her a charming grin and dipped into a bow.

"No one told me that we'd be traveling in the company of Caslenia's greatest beauty," he said. "I can cease my search for riches and good fortune, it seems. Peter Myers, and it's a pleasure to meet you, Lady Glasswell."

Pippa managed a polite smile. "Pippa will be fine, thank you."

He was handsome and charismatic, with light brown hair in need of a trim and twinkling hazel eyes. But he was immensely self-assured, and Pippa has wary of arrogant, swaggering men. Still, his good cheer was infectious and she was too excited to stay annoyed for long. Peter took her luggage, insisting on carrying it onboard for her. He didn't even glance toward Oliver's.

"Colette, pull yourself together," Harry said, trying to pry his wife off of Oliver.

"I c-can't believe you're l-leaving, Oliver," Colette hiccuped and Oliver sighed.

"Mother, I'm not leaving forever. I'll be back before you know it."

That just made Colette cry harder. Nigel finished speaking with Sorenson and came to embrace Pippa.

"I'm going to miss you, my darling," he said. Pippa hugged him tight.

"I'll miss you too, Daddy. Take care of yourself and don't forget to eat three square meals a day. I've given Marlene permission to scold you on my behalf if you don't."

He chuckled and stepped back, planting a kiss on her forehead before Colette came over to sob on her for a while too. She could see him whispering something to Oliver.

"Oh my dear sweet Pippa, are you sure you want to do this?" Colette asked.

"Yes, Colette. I'm sure. There, there. You'll be just fine, stop all this crying."

"It seems like only yesterday you and Oliver were little children playing in the garden." Colette blew her nose loudly into her handkerchief before swatting Elliot's arm. "Don't be rude. Tell Pippa and your brother goodbye."

"Goodbye," Elliot mumbled. Pippa was sure he would have tried to talk her into staying behind if his parents hadn't been standing right there. Finally Nigel and Harry managed to get Colette to stop hugging Pippa and Oliver and the two of them made their way up the gangplank to board the ship. Captain Sorenson paid them little attention as he barked orders at his crew.

Pippa stood by the railing and waved cheerily until the ship moved away and she lost sight of her father and the others. She already missed Nigel fiercely, but she felt that she needed to do this. And Oliver certainly needed it, though he looked far less excited.

"Wipe that mopey look off your face," Pippa ordered. Oliver threw her a sour look.

"I am not moping," he said. "I'm just hoping this isn't a huge mistake."

"It's not," she said in exasperation. "Will you relax and just try to enjoy yourself, for once? You worry too much, Oliver. One would think you were an old man instead of barely into your twenties."

"Derek said the same thing," Oliver frowned.

"Because it's the truth. Stop all your fretting." She studied him for a moment. "What did my father say to you?"

"What?"

"Before we got on the ship. I saw him talking to you. What did he say?"

"Oh. Nothing much, really. Wished me luck and such."

They stood at the rail in silence for a few minutes, gazing out over the ocean. It was still a bit gray and drab here, but soon they'd make their way into clearer, bluer waters and Pippa couldn't wait. The Good Fortune moved swiftly through the waves, leaving the harbor and Highgate behind.

"The sea is rather beautiful isn't it?" Pippa mused.

"And dangerous."

"Aren't most beautiful things a bit dangerous, Otter? That's part of their appeal." She threw him an amused look. "Don't start telling me about all the dangers in the world. If you start to sound like Roland I'll toss you overboard myself."

To her surprise Oliver cracked a smile. "Actually, please do. I'd rather not turn into him."

"You won't," Pippa assured him. "You may worry far too much, but you're not a coward."

Oliver glanced at her, seemingly caught off guard by the statement. "Ah. Thank you."

Feeling suddenly self-conscious, Pippa toyed with the locket around her neck. "You're welcome."

"Your quarters are both ready, if you'd like to settle in," Peter said, appearing beside them and flashing Pippa another crooked grin. "I took the liberty of putting your luggage in your room, Lady Glass-Pippa."

"Oh. Thank you. That's very kind of you."

"I'll show you both to your rooms. Right this way." He led them down into the lower deck of the ship. "Dinner is served promptly at seven, and Captain doesn't like anyone to be late. Breakfast is at seven in the morning. Besides that, you have free reign to go and do what you like, not that there's really much to do on a ship. You're always welcome to come find me if you get too bored."

Pippa felt her ears turn red as he slid her a teasing sideways glance. She'd never encountered a stranger so brazen. This behavior she expected from the likes of James Ingerson and Elliot. She wasn't sure how to handle it coming from a man she had scarcely met half an hour ago.

"I'm sure I can manage to entertain myself, thank you," she said primly. He chuckled.

"Your room is on the right, pretty Pippa. And, Dr. Lambert, is it? Your room is right across from it. Here are your keys; be sure you don't lose them. See you both at seven."

"Thanks," Oliver said.

"No problem, boss." Peter gave Oliver a jaunty salute and bowed to Pippa before retreating back up the stairs, whistling cheerily. Pippa shrugged and opened her door, finding her luggage stacked neatly in the corner. There was a small window looking out on the water, and the sheets and linens on the bed smelled freshly washed. Highgate was completely out of sight by now. They were truly on their way.