Status: Complete <3

Volanta

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Pippa didn't see much of anyone in the days following Peter's attempts at thievery. It left her alone with her thoughts far too much, and as much as she didn't want them to, Peter's words kept echoing mockingly inside her head.

He'll go back to his dusty libraries and his college lectures and put you out of his mind.

Pippa knew Peter had been trying to provoke her, but she couldn't help but fear that there was truth to what he said. Oliver had never given her a second glance before now and once they had returned home and everything went back to normal, maybe the excitement of their time here would wear off and he'd realize he didn't like her that much after all; that he just cared about her in that way you cared about a person who had known for a long time, and had lost his head a bit because they were alone together for so long.

The day they were supposed to leave, Rena came to Pippa's room to find her moping on the window seat, petting Jasper's head.

"Why the troubled face, Jahasha?" she asked. "I would have expected you to be happy."

"I'm a lot of things," Pippa said. "I am happy that we all survived and happy to be going home, but I'll miss this place."

"I'll miss you, too," Rena said. She took Pippa's hand, swiping the blade of a small ceremonial dagger across the delicate flesh. Then she did the same to her own hand, clasping her palm to Pippa's. Pippa watched in fascination as Rena's liquid silver blood mingled with her red. The cut healed almost instantly, leaving behind a thin scar. Rena's palm was of course unblemished.

"Don't worry; we're bonded by blood now even if we don't share the mark," Rena said. "You are my friend, Jahasha. And it seems we made a warrior out of you yet. Little you may be, but it only takes a little flame to start a wildfire, yes?"

Pippa stared at the scar for a moment, then fling her arms around Rena and hugged her fiercely.

"You're the best friend I've ever had," Pippa said. "Thank you, for everything."

Rena smiled. "I would suggest that you stay here with us, but I sense that you have many paths yet to tread. This is likely just the first of many adventures for you, Pippa of the Fiery Hair."

If Pippa didn't have people she loved back home in Caslenia, she might have considered staying in Volanta. But she still had a thirst to see the world; and she couldn't simply abandon her father or Oliver that way. Her stomach recoiled into knots when she thought of him.

"I have two parting gifts for you," Rena went on. She fastened a rather impressive collar of gold and rubies around Jasper's neck, explaining that it was enchanted metal; it would grow to fit him no matter how large the leopard got. Then she gave Pippa a small dagger much like the one she had; the blade was carved with winding vines and the hilt was gold bedecked with rubies, just like Jasper's collar.

Overcome with emotion, she hugged Rena yet again. She would miss her terribly when she was gone. Pippa had opted out of Volantian garb for her journey home, instead sporting her plain shirt and breeches again. Rena had still insisted that Pippa take a couple of the Volantian style dresses with her. Pippa agreed, because she didn't want to hurt Rena's feelings. But she would probably never be able to wear any of them in public. Rena said she had already sent the dresses ahead to their ship with one of the Volantian guards.

Rena led her to see the queen after that, Jasper with his head up proudly to show off his collar. Pippa had her dagger tucked into the waist of her pants, a comforting presence as the queen big them goodbye and the guards led them away from Volanta. The queen stood at the grand entryway with Tiya and Rena, who both lifted their hands in farewell. Pippa kept glancing back at them and waving until they were all out of sight.

It turned out Captain Sorenson and what remained of the crew were fine; Peter and his three goons had knocked them out and tied them up on their rooms. They all seemed more than eager to be free of the island. Peter, Gillis and Hestin had all been captured by the Volantians and remained behind. Pippa shivered to think of what sort of punishment Fenro and Nthuri might have in store for them. The bullet Pippa had put in Peter's knee would likely seem like nothing more than a splinter by comparison.

Pippa was acutely aware of Oliver's presence, walking just ahead of her. She did her best to keep her eyes glued to anything that wasn't him. As far as she knew, he still wanted to keep whatever was between them from the crew. If there even was anything between them. She still felt a little sick with worry over that.

The Volantian guards deposited them on the beach where the Good Fortune was anchored, patiently waiting for her crew to return. One of the guards thanked Oliver and Pippa in broken English, for stopping Peter. Pippa smiled gently and replied in Volantian as best she could; Rena had taught her a little. He gave her the small trunk full of dresses Rena had given her.

Then returning to their ship, the captain sighing in relief, like he had come home. The guards stood on the beach for a few minutes, then they too raised their hands in farewell before melting back into the trees as the sails were hoisted.

"I think I'm ready to retire after all this," Sorenson muttered. Pippa hid a smile as she stood at the rail. The winds kicked up quickly, catching in the sails and moving swiftly along the waves. Pippa had a feeling Nthuri had something to do with the friendly and expedient breeze. She watched the island disappear, again becoming that small green dot it had seemed before, and then eventually vanishing from sight altogether; as though swallowed by the sea. The return home would be bittersweet. Jasper crouched near her, seeming unsure about why the ground was rocking below his paws. Pippa could already imagine the scandalized whispers circling parlors and ballrooms.

"Can you believe Pippa Glasswell brought home a leopard to keep as a pet?"

Pippa was so lost in thought she didn't even notice Oliver approach until he cleared his throat nervously.

"I feel a bit as if you're avoiding me," he said, nervously smoothing his shirt.

"You wanted me to keep...whatever this is a secret, did you not?" Pippa asked coolly.

"I-well-" Oliver trailed off, looking uncertain. Pippa leaned away from the rail, speaking too fast.

"I can't help but wonder if perhaps it was all a heat of the moment sort of thing for you. Or maybe you just wanted to spare my feelings and not embarrass me while we were going to be stuck together far from home. Maybe I just turned this into more of a romance than it really is because I've spent so long waiting for you to notice me. And I can't help but worry that we're going to get home, and I'm just going to go back to being plain, annoying Pippa and you're going to change your mind about whatever it is you may have thought you felt. If it's not real, I can handle it, Oliver. You don't need to try and be gentle about it. I just need to know one way or the other."

She finished her speech, a little breathless. Oliver opened his mouth to reply but they were interrupted by Preston, who insisted he had an important question to ask Oliver. Pippa excused herself and hurried down to her room, having to carry Jasper when he mewed pitifully at the top of the stairs. She set him on her bed and then flopped ungracefully beside him, burying her face in her pillow with a muffled groan of frustration.