A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 12

Matt's POV

I opened my eye's. I was laying face down on my bed, fully clothed with absolutely no recollection of how I'd even gotten here. Obviously I'd been asleep, but I had no idea for how long.

I sat up, groaning softly. I still felt like shit, although I did feel a little better. I felt like I'd been hit by a bus, but my stomach seemed to be a little more settled.

I stood up and noticed every muscle in my body was aching and I had to ask myself, was it worth it? All of this pain, everything I'd endured over the last few day's. Was it really worth it, and I thought about my boys and yeah, it was worth it, it was really worth and I couldn't wait to see them again, for them to see me.

I opened the bedroom door and stepped out, looking around. I had absolutely no idea what the time was, but I felt a little hungry which surprised me, it was the first time since I'd been here that I felt hunger, all I'd been feeling was sick.

Chloe was laying on the couch, with her eye's closed and I snuck past her, using the bathroom. By the time I came back out she had her eye's open, staring at the ceiling.

"What time is it?" I asked her, sitting on the couch opposite her.

"Um, about 4pm." She said in a whispery croaky voice.

"How long did I sleep for?" I asked frowning at her.

"A day and a half." She croaked.

I frowned. A day and a half. How the fuck had I slept so long?

"I'm kind of hungry." I muttered, feeling a little embarrassed that I'd slept so long.

"Me too." Chloe whispered, sitting up and grimacing.

"Are you getting sick?" I asked her, watching her stand up gently.

"Something like that." She mumbled. "Wanna go eat?"

"Sure." I agreed, standing up and looking at the black silk scarf Chloe had wrapped around her neck. Obviously she was coming down with something but I wasn't sure how the scarf was going to help.

I followed her out of the room and down the stairs, noticing that she seemed a little stiff. Maybe it was from laying on the couch, or maybe she was getting sick. I hoped not, I didn't need to catch anything at this point in time.

We entered the dining room silently and we made our way over to the food. I looked at it and my stomach did a somersault so I decided on salad, it was something I found least offensive right now.

Chloe grabbed some soup, a bread roll, a cup of coffee and a glass of iced water, then making her way to a table. I grabbed a coffee and joined her, sitting opposite.

"Have I really been asleep for that long?" I asked Chloe, putting some dressing on my salad.

She nodded, taking a mouthful of soup and wincing. "Don't worry about it." She croaked. "Your body knows what it needs right now and apparently it needed sleep."

Sleep? It was more like a coma. But she was right, my body did know what it needed and fuck me, it still wanted a drink. Would this thirst ever go away?

"I guess." I mumbled, eating and looking around.

As usual nobody else was around and as I sat here, wondering if anyone else was even alive, I groaned as Jerry and Caitlin walked in.

"Pretty boy." Jerry sneered, grinning at me. "I never thought you had it in you."

I frowned, wondering what the fuck he was talking about. "What?" I snapped.

He just laughed, walking over and getting food.

I looked at Chloe, she was frowning, staring at him. He obviously made her uncomfortable and I hated him even more for that, for intimidating Chloe.

"Just ignore him." Chloe mumbled, sipping her ice water.

"No seriously though." Jerry called out, grabbing some food. "I really didn't pick you as one of them."

"Jerry shut up." Caitlin snarled at him and I was pleased to see he looked a little scared, at least he didn't intimidate her.

"No." Jerry said, walking over and sitting at the table next to us. "How are you feeling sweetheart?" He asked Chloe, winking at her.

"I'm fine." She muttered, avoiding his gaze.

Jerry looked at me, smiling again. "Is that why your wife left?"

"Huh?" I asked him, confused. I was completely confused and I had absolutely no idea what he was getting at.

"Just shut up." Chloe snapped, wincing.

"Throat a little sore?" Jerry grinned. "And I'm asking is that why your wife left you, because you like to get a little physical with the women."

"What the fuck are you talking about?" I snapped, sick and tired of his bullshit.

His smiled widened as Chloe jumped, and spilt her coffee.

"Fuck." She whispered, getting up and grabbing her napkins.

"I'm guessing you don't remember." Jerry whispered, leaning closer. "Or you choose not to remember, either way ask Chloe."

"Ask her what?" I muttered, trying to ignore him.

"Jerry stop." Caitlin snapped again.

"Ask her what's wrong with her." He grinned. "And maybe ask why she's wearing that stupid looking scarf."

"That's it." Caitlin snapped, standing up. "We're eating in the room."

"Suits me." Jerry said standing up. "I'd rather not socialise with someone who beats women."

I watched him walk out, shocked. What the hell was he talking about? I'd never laid my hands on a woman in my entire life.

"Thank god he's gone." Chloe said softly, mopping up her coffee with her napkins.

"Yeah." I mumbled, looking at her, really looking at her. "Why are you wearing that scarf?"

"It doesn't matter." She mumbled, going back to her soup.

I shrugged, attempting to eat my salad. She said it didn't matter so maybe it didn't. But what the fuck was Jerry was going on about then?

We finished eating in silence, but I watched Chloe out of the corner of my eye. There was definitely something going on, the way she moved was slow and she looked like she was in pain, dark circles ringing her eye's.

"Ready?" She asked, standing up once we'd finished.

"Yeah." I smiled. "I might get another coffee though, I enjoyed that one."

And I had, I had really enjoyed it and for once I actually didn't feel like puking.

"So what are we doing now?" I asked Chloe as we walked back upstairs to our room.

She shrugged, opening the door. "Not much until tomorrow."

I nodded, frowning at her. She seemed different, on edge.

"Show me." I said, closing the door softly. She was hiding something and I wanted to know what.

"Matt no." She said smiling, trying hide her fear.

"Chloe, show me." I snapped and she jumped again.

I groaned. Had I? Had I done something? And as she reached up, loosening the scarf and pulling it off I knew I had, the bruises were obvious.

"It's okay." She said looking at me. "It happens."

I looked at her, then I looked at the bruises again. It wasn't okay and it never happens, not me, I had never touched a woman in my life, it was something I'd never do.

"Jesus Christ." I cried. "What am I?"

What the fuck had I become?