A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 17

Chloe's POV

I was actually awake this time, when Matt came sneaking into my room early in the morning. I had actually been awake for a little while, staring at the ceiling, thinking.

"Chloe." He whispered.

I wasn't sure why he was whispering, I mean it wasn't like he didn't want to wake me up.

"Yes?" I asked, not moving, still staring at the ceiling.

"You're awake." He said sounding a little shocked.

"I am." I murmured.

"Anyway, do you think you could cut my hair?" He asked me and I could hear him fidgeting in the doorway.

"What?" I asked sitting up and looking at him. "What do you want done?"

"I was thinking that maybe you could shave it?" He said smiling at me.

I frowned at him. "What for? I like your um, whatever you want to call it." And I was referring to his Mohawk or whatever it was, but I was telling the truth, I did like it.

"Yeah I know." He said running his hands through his hair. "But I think it's time for a change."

I shrugged, standing up. "I guess I can."

"Good." He said smiling at me. "I already have everything ready." I opened my mouth but he cut me off. "And I already got you a coffee."

I couldn't help but smile, Matt knew I couldn't function without caffeine in the morning and I was a little surprised but pleased that he'd gone out of his way to get me one.

"So what am I doing?" I asked him, after I'd had a few mouthfuls and he was sitting on a chair in front me.

"A number three, all over." He said and I did as he asked, watching his hair fall to the ground.

"Are you excited?" I asked him as I finished up, making sure everything was even.

"God I am." He said softly. "I've been waiting for this day since I arrived."

Today was the day, finally. Today was visit day. Everyone had made it to week four and finally they were allowed to see their friends and family. It was an exciting day, for all of us.

"I bet you have." I said and I knew he had.

"I can't wait for you to meet my boys." He added, smiling and standing up.

I looked at him. He looked incredibly handsome with his hair short, it suited him, so much.

"Oh Matt." I said frowning. "I won't be with you for your visit."

"What?" He asked, raising his eyebrows at me.

"Yeah, well I mean, it's visiting day Matt." I told him smiling. "For all of us, we get visitors too."

He groaned. "Of course you do, god I don't know what I was thinking."

I smiled watching him walk into the bathroom. I didn't add that I wasn't getting any visitors, I mean all of my friends were working and I really didn't expect them to drive nearly four hours up to the middle of nowhere to see me and well my family hated me so there was no chance they were coming. What Matt didn't know wouldn't hurt him and besides I wanted him to have privacy on his visit, I wanted his family to see how different he was, how hard he'd worked.

We both showered and got dressed, Matt putting in a little extra effort and I had to smile at him, he really looked great.

We had breakfast together and I listened as Matt chatted non stop, he was so excited and I was glad. We ate in our room, to avoid Jerry and once we finished it was time to head downstairs.

"Ready?" I asked him and he nodded smiling and standing up, as usual fidgeting.

We went downstairs, where for once it was busy, the normally deserted corridors busy, everyone was out of their rooms at once and everyone was excited.

"Well this is where I leave you." I said to Matt. "Have a great time, enjoy it and I'll see you after."

They were all heading over to the common room where their family's would go when they arrived, then they would go their separate ways, usually heading outside to one of the many picnic tables set up on the grounds.

I watched him walk away then I turned, going back to the room for my book and more coffee. I headed outside, into the sunshine, grabbing a chair and making myself comfortable. I needed some down time and I was kind of looking forward to it.

Soon enough family's started to arrive and I frowned as I watched a woman get out of her car, throwing herself at Jerry and kissing him passionately. Was she fucking stupid? Blind? Did she know what a sleaze he was?

I was sitting there, frowning, watching him when another car pulled up and I watched as two little boy's climbed out, one helping the other.

I knew they were Matt's son's, they looked so much like him it was uncanny and I smiled wider as Matt suddenly appeared and they ran straight to him, throwing themselves at him.

I was meant to be reading my book and I was trying, but I couldn't help watching as Matt's wife climbed out of the car, glancing around.

Of course she was fucking perfect. Her hair was perfect, her figure perfect, she looked like a model.

I watched as she walked over to Matt, smiling, then I watched as he leant over and kissed her cheek, saying something.

That was enough, now I felt like a pervert and I looked down at my book. I really hoped Matt sorted his life out, he deserved it and he was working so hard for it.

"Hey what are you doing over here?" Clay asked, appearing from nowhere.

I held up my book. "Relaxing, reading."

"Rejuvenating." He added, grinning at me.

"I need six months sleep to do that." I grumbled, smiling back at him.

"No visitors?" He asked me and I looked up at him, standing there.

"Do I ever?" I asked, trying not to sound as disappointed as I felt.

I hated seeing people getting all their visitors, every time I hated it because never, not once, had anyone ever visited me. I knew it was my fault, what had happened with my family was unforgiveable, but just once I kind of wished someone cared.

"Me neither." Clay said holding his hand. "So why don't you and I get some food, pick a table and have lunch together, kind of like a date, only not really a date."

"It's a date." I grinned, letting him pull me to my feet.

We headed to the dining room area and Clay slipped his arm around my shoulder. I'd been feeling sorry for myself, thinking that I'd had no friends but honestly Clay was my friend, we'd known each other for a long time and he was my friend, he really was.