A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 28

Matt's POV

"Matt." Chloe called from the bathroom. "You forgot this."

I walked out of my room and she was standing in the doorway with a comb in her hand.

"I hardly need it now." I said, grabbing it off of her, glad that I'd cut my hair, glad that Chloe had done it for me.

"True." She said smiling. "Who's gonna do your hair now?" She added.

"No idea." I muttered and I didn't.

I was glad I'd gotten Chloe to redo my hair last night because I knew once I got home Lucy wouldn't do it, she wasn't a fan of the shaved head. I guessed maybe my Mom would do it for me.

I groaned in my head. Today was the day, we were leaving. I'd done it, I made the twelve weeks and now I was heading home again, only I wasn't sure how I would go at home. I was a little scared and apprehensive to say the least.

"I better finish packing." Chloe said, hobbling past me.

She'd finally ditched the crutches yesterday. She'd had another check up and the Doctor said as long as she wore the brace for a few weeks she'd be okay, although I had a feeling once we left here she'd ditch the brace as well.

"How are you getting home?" I asked her, following her into her room. "You're more than welcome to come with us, I'm sure Jaxson would be thrilled."

Chloe laughed, going to her bag and throwing a few things in. "I have my car, so after we get debriefed I'll drive myself."

I nodded, watching her. I think I was disappointed, no, I know I was disappointed, I kind of didn't want to leave Chloe.

Chloe lived in Newport, which really wasn't that far from me, the only problem was I still hadn't worked up the courage to ask her for her number. I wanted to keep in touch with her, I wanted to be able to call her if I had a problem, if she had a problem and maybe we could even go to some AA meetings together.

I sighed, I just wanted to hang out with Chloe to be honest, we got on well and I really enjoyed her company, a lot.

"You get debriefed?" I asked her, leaning on the door frame.

"Yeah." She said. "Just sit in the room, talk about stuff that happened, make sure everyone's okay with it all."

I nodded. They would probably talk about how I tried to choke the hell out of her, and I cringed, just thinking about that, thinking about how bad those first few weeks had been. I didn't want to go back there, ever.

"So." I said quickly. "Give me your number while we have a second, I meant what I said, I'm organising a show and I want you there."

"We're really not supposed to Matt." She said softly. "But okay." And I watched as she pulled out her phone.

I let out a breath. Thank god. I wasn't sure what I would have done if she'd told me no, fuck off.

I pulled out mine, adding her number and then she added my number into her phone.

"I'll call you." I told her. "We can do something."

She smiled, nodding and I headed back into my room to finish packing.

Home. Damn, I really wasn't sure what was going to happen when I got there. It seemed like it was so long ago I left, and tonight I'd be alone, spending the night, in my house, by myself. It all seemed a little daunting.

I finished the packing and zipped up my suitcases, looking around what had been my bedroom for the past twelve weeks. God, I was going to miss this place and as I walked out of the room I realised I was scared, really scared.

"Well I'm ready." I called out and Chloe appeared in the doorway.

"Yay." She said looking pleased, a little too pleased. "I'll walk you downstairs."

"Good." I told her and it was good, her coming with me.

She opened the door while I carried my bags and we headed downstairs, where the hustle and bustle of everyone leaving was. Honestly, it was the most people I'd ever seen hanging around in the place at one time.

"Coffee." Chloe and I said in unison and I laughed. Her love of coffee had rubbed off on me.

"Who's picking you up?" Chloe asked as we headed outside after grabbing the coffee.

"Lucy and the boy's." I said, dropping my bags and grabbing my cup off Chloe.

"Good." She said smiling.

Was it good? I mean the boy's part was good. I couldn't wait to see them, spend time with them, have sleepover's with them, but the Lucy part, I wasn't entirely sure of.

"Hey ass wipes." Jerry called out, walking with his wife. "Catch you around, oh and try not to get to drunk tonight lame ass." He sneered at me. "And you." He said leaning close to Chloe. "I'll be seeing you."

"Fuck off." I snapped at him. "You're husband is a pig." I told his wife.

"I know." She grumbled, climbing in the car, looking grim.

"Money." Chloe said quietly. "Obviously she's with him for the money."

We stood there silently watching the car drive away, when Chloe turned to me smiling. "Thank fuck we never have to see him again."

"God I know." I Laughed and my laughter died in my throat as I saw Lucy's car approach us.

"Daddyyyyyyy." Ryder screamed, jumping out and flinging himself at me.

I scooped him in my arm's, smiling, watching as Jaxson threw himself at Chloe.

"You coming home?" Ryder asked, looking at me with his big brown eye's.

I nodded, kissing his forehead. "I sure am buddy."

"Are you ready?" Lucy asked, getting out and walking over to me. No hello to me or Chloe.

"I guess." And I figured I couldn't put it off any longer.

"Well let's go." She said smiling.

I loaded my bags into the trunk while Chloe helped me. Lucy stood there watching, I mean as if she would help, she might break a nail or something.

"Well." I said to the boy's. "Get in."

"Bye Chloe." Ryder said, climbing into the car.

I helped him do up his seat belt then turned to Jaxson, who was once again in Chloe's arm's, doting on her.

"Come on big guy." I said holding out my arm's.

"Chloe." Jaxson said, looking at her. "Will I ever see you again?"

Chloe smiled and handed him to me.

"Of course you will." I told him. .

"Good." He said leaning over and sprinkling kisses on Chloe's face.

I helped him into his seat, then turned and faced Chloe. "Well." I started, lost for words.

"See you Matt." She said quietly. "And remember how strong you are."

I nodded, looking at her, wishing I could take a leaf out of Jaxson's book and sprinkle her face with kisses.

God, what was I thinking?

"I will if you do." I said and I reached out, hugging her tightly. "Thanks for everything Chloe, I mean it." And I did.

"No." She whispered, hugging me back. "Thank you."

"Any way." I said stepping back and clearing my throat. "I'll call you."

"You better." She whispered.

I took a deep breath and climbed in the car, doing up my seat belt and not looking back as we drove away.

"You're not really calling her are you?" Lucy asked before we'd even pulled out of the drive.

"What?" I asked, looking at her.

"Calling Chloe." She said. "I mean Matt, you've worked on yourself and now I think it's time to work on us. Don't you?"

I stared out the window, not saying anything.

I just didn't know anything at the moment.