A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 37

Chloe's POV

The rudeness of him. He was an absolute pig. What part of get out of my life did he not understand? It was a simple phrase, easy to understand, yet Matt couldn't understand it at all. Obviously he was stupid.

"Argh." I screamed, throwing my phone down.

Don't bother replying. How fucking dare he! What if I didn't want to go out with him, well that didn't matter, I needn't bother replying. God he infuriated me.

"Such an ass." I snapped at Lucy, walking into my room and opening my wardrobe.

What the hell was I going to wear? He said fancy, what did I have that was fancy?

"What the hell." I yelled, slamming the door of my cupboard shut.

Why was I even entertaining thoughts of actually going?

"Ugh because." I muttered, opening it back up. "He's coming regardless." And if he insisted on me going the least I could do was look nice, well as nice as I could look anyway.

Lucy wandered in and jumped on the bed, looking at me.

"What the fuck am I going to wear?" I asked her and she raised her eyebrow's, watching me go through my cupboard.

Finally I found a dress that was nice, well at least I thought it was nice. What if it wasn't?

"Fuck." I screamed, heading into the shower. Fuck him for doing this to me.

I got into the shower, washing my hair, then getting out, spending some time straightening it. I didn't know why I was putting so much effort in, but if he was taking me somewhere classy the least I could do was look the part.

I finished getting ready, applying my make up, then putting on my dress and shoes, standing back to look at myself in the mirror.

"Oh Lucy." I cried and she walked up behind me, looking. "I look stupid." And I did. Who was I kidding.

It was nearly time and I grabbed my purse, going to the living room to wait. I attempted to straighten out my dress as I walked, it was kind of tight fitting and it just felt so weird to me.

I jumped as he knocked at the door. Well I assumed it was him, it wasn't like anyone else would be knocking at my door.

I put on my bitch face and opened the door, glaring at him.

"Ready?" He snapped, glaring right back.

I grabbed my purse, while Lucy the traitor greeted him like a long lost friend. Me and her were going to have a good talk when I got home.

He blew her kisses as I shut the door, mouthing what I thought of her to her and as I locked up and he went to the car, opening my door and holding it for me.

I climbed in, ignoring him, but damn, he really did look nice in a dress shirt, it suited him well.

"How are you?" He asked gruffly as he started driving.

"Fine." I muttered and that was all he was getting from me.

We drove in silence, me looking out the window, wondering what the purpose of this whole thing was. Why take me out for dinner when I'd virtually told him to fuck off?

He pulled up, parking and I was glad I chose to wear what I did. We were in a classy area so I knew the restaurant we'd be eating at would be pretty damn fancy.

Matt got out and ran around, opening my door for me and I avoided his eye's, climbing out.

"Let's go." He muttered, turning and walking off.

I followed behind him, when suddenly he stopped, turning and grabbing my hand. I let him, I mean I was hardly going to make a scene here.

We walked to a restaurant named Rizoli's and Matt opened the door and we stepped inside.

"By the way." He said quickly. "You look beautiful." And then he turned to speak to the Maitre d'.

Beautiful. What the fuck did he mean by that? Was he taking the piss out of me? God I was so confused.

I couldn't remember the last time someone had told me I was beautiful and as I thought about it I figured it had to be at least eight years ago, maybe more.

"No." I whispered to myself as Matt led us to table, I don't think I'd ever been told I was beautiful before, I couldn't ever recall Drew ever saying that.

"Drinks?" The waiter asked as we were seated. "Would you like to see the wine list?"

"No thanks." Matt told him. "Two cokes."

I looked across as the waiter shuffled away, obviously disappointed in our choice of drinks.

We were at a table for four. Who else was coming? And I sat there wondering to myself.

God, what if it was Lucy and her and Matt had decided to try and set me up with one of his friends? That thought terrified, but worse, what if it was Drew and Jasmine and somewhere in Matt's fucked up mind he thought he could get us all to be friends, a family reunion if you will?

"Hey." Matt called out and I looked up, breathing a sigh of relief.

Danielle and Brian were making their way over to the table and I smiled as they sat down, Dani opposite me.

"How are you Chloe?" Brian asked, smiling widely.

I was kind of glad they were here, out of anyone these two were probably the people I felt most comfortable around outside of my small circle of friends. I chuckled to myself, my very small circle.

"What are you smiling at?" Matt asked me suddenly and I looked at him.

"Nothing." I said quickly.

He nodded, then put his arm across the back of my chair, resting his hand on my shoulder.

I listened as everyone chatted while we waited for our food. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be, and while I still didn't want to be here I was sort of glad I came.

"Oh shit." Someone suddenly called out. "Fraternising out of school, someone's gonna get in trouble."

And fuck me, of all the people, here was Jerry standing in front of us, smiling like a long lost friend.

"I thought this place had standards?" I said looking at Matt, ignoring Jerry.

"Apparently not high enough one's." He mumbled. "And hey, we're not in rehab anymore, care to take this outside." He snapped, turning to look at Jerry.

"Calm down." Jerry laughed nervously. "I'm just here dining with some friends, thought I'd say hello."

"Yeah well bye." Matt snapped and Jerry shook his head, turning to leave.

"Oh Chloe." Jerry called out, smirking. "You look so fucking delicious I could eat you."

"Oh fuck." Brian called out as Matt jumped up, spilling our drinks. "Sit down Matt." He hissed. "Don't let him get to you."

"Such a fucking loser." Matt muttered, sitting back down.

"He is." I said quietly.

And he was, Jerry was such a loser and of course he'd have to show up and ruin this already shitty night.