A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 58

Matt's POV

I saw her as soon as I pulled up. She was sitting in the sun, her head back, her book askew in her lap and she was asleep. She looked fucking perfect and I wanted to sit here in the car, just watching her for awhile.

Jaxson however had other plans. He'd spotted her too and before I could even protest, he was out of the car, running over to her.

She sat up and she looked confused at the sight of us. I didn't blame her, I mean I still hadn't told her we coming. I was trying to read anything on else on her face, hoping just a little that I might see something else, but I didn't and I felt disappointed.

I got straight to the point of my visit, I couldn't see any point in making small talk. Chloe seemed surprised, but I reminded her that I told her I would help with Harper and I always kept my promises.

After she'd signed everything, I called the boy's over. It was time to go, I didn't want to stay any longer, Chloe seemed a little distant and it hurt just being near her.

The boy's said their goodbyes and went and stood over near the car and then I faced Chloe.

She offered lunch and thanked me again for helping her with Harper and while she did it she looked down at her hands. She couldn't even look at me, she couldn't meet my eye's.

"Anyway." I muttered, getting the hint. "I'll see you later."

Chloe looked at me, her brow creasing. "Yeah."

Suddenly she stepped towards me, reaching up and hugging me.

I closed my eye's, hugging her back and god it felt so good, holding her, it really did. I'd missed having her in my arm's, so much, it just felt so right.

"Please don't go." She whispered quietly, so quietly I almost didn't hear her.

God, I didn't want to leave and when she said it I pulled her a little closer, burying my face in her neck, feeling her hair on my face, holding her a little longer.

"We can stay for lunch." I murmured, but I wanted to stay forever.

"Good." She whispered, pulling away and god I wished she hadn't.

"Boy's." I called out to Jaxson and Ryder who were standing by the car. "We're going to stay for lunch."

"Good." Jaxson screamed, his excitement getting the better of him. "I am very hungry."

I smiled, he was always hungry. "Well let's eat."

Ryder walked over and grabbed my hand. He was being very quiet and I was think he was embarrassed by what had happened last time he saw Chloe.

"Come on." Chloe said smiling at us and I watched as Jaxson took her hand as they walked inside.

Ryder and I walked behind her and I looked at her ass. I wished she wouldn't those little shorts, her ass was perfect and I hated the idea of other people looking at it. God, I was in love with her, I couldn't deny it. I was in love Chloe. Somewhere along the way I'd fallen in love with her, it was obvious to me now.

Chloe got her and Jaxson's lunch while I got Ryder's and mine. It was weird being back here and I looked around at the familiar surroundings. It was busy, people everywhere, kids running in and out.

"Should we eat outside?" Chloe asked looking at me and I nodded, following her.

She made her way over to a table and I was happy to see it was a little secluded and away from everyone else. I wanted a little privacy, just to spend time with Chloe.

The boy's started eating, shovelling food down their throats and I realised that they were probably starving, poor guy's. I was glad we stayed, they could eat and I could see more of Chloe.

We made small talk while we ate, not talking about anything in particular, just talking, and it was nice, just being with her was nice.

"Can we go play?" Jaxson asked, shoving the last of a cheeseburger into his mouth.

"Yeah but just don't annoy anyone." I told him, thinking of the people who were trying to spend a little time with a loved one.

"We won't." He giggled, getting up and running off with Ryder following close behind him.

"I'll clean up." Chloe said, standing up and gathering our empty plates. "Want another coffee?" She asked, smiling.

I nodded. "Yeah I would." And I smiled, it was her who got me addicted to coffee in the first place.

I looked around as Chloe went back inside. There were a lot more people here than when I was here, but obviously the clients this time had more kids and family.

I sat there watching a guy, who was with his family and god, he looked so high strung, agitated and I could tell his partner was uncomfortable and I couldn't say I blamed her. He looked like he was about to go off at any minute and everyone just looked uncomfortable.

"Here you go." Chloe said, placing my coffee in front of me and sitting down, getting comfortable.

I looked at her. "So how are you going?" I asked her softly. "You look exhausted." And she did, she looked like she hadn't slept for days.

"I am exhausted." She said softly. "I really am."

"Bad?" I asked her and she didn't reply, she just nodded.

"I don't know that I'm cut out for this anymore." She murmured after a little while and it was my turn to nod, I didn't really want her doing it either, but that was me being selfish, I didn't want her going away for twelve weeks.

"Maybe you shouldn't." I added softly, looking at her, really looking at her.

"Maybe." She said. "Anyway how are thing's with you?"

"Not bad." I said smiling at her. "I put the house on the market." And I missed you, every minute I missed you, but I didn't add that.

Chloe frowned at me. "You're selling the house?" She asked me.

I nodded. "Yeah, my lawyer advised me to, pay half to Lucy, although she is going to go for half of my earnings." She said she wasn't but I knew she would, she was a greedy bitch.

"And how are thing's going with Lucy?" Chloe asked me softly, looking down at her hands.

"You know." I said shrugging, because Lucy was being a super bitch, not that that was surprising. "But at least she let's me see the boy's whenever I want."

"Of course." Chloe said softly.

Fucking Lucy, she was only letting me see them because I wasn't seeing Chloe and she took great joy in that fact, the fact that Chloe and I were apart.

Fuck her. She could do what she wanted, if she tried to keep me away from the boy's I would take her to court, I was done with her blackmailing shit.

"Yeah, you know what she's like." I said softly.

Chloe nodded and sort of smiled and I reached over, under the table, taking her hand and entwining my finger's with hers.

I squeezed her hand gently and then I leant over, kissing her forehead softly. God, all of this just felt so good.