A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 61

Chloe's POV

I knew Matt expected me to get mad when he dragged me to Bruce's office, but I couldn't, because I really wanted to leave. I was tired, exhausted and I just wanted to go home and concentrate on my life, with Matt, with Harper, just go home.

"I'll help you pack." Matt said softly, taking my hand and leading back to the room, the room that was once our room.

We walked quietly to the room and when we opened the door Liam stuck his head out of his bedroom, shutting the door quickly again when he spied Matt.

"He better stay in there." Matt mumbled as we walked to our room.

I grabbed my bag's, throwing them on the bed. "I like it when you get all manly." I said softly.

He looked at me and smiled. "I thought you would yell at me."

"Not today." I told him, grabbing some stuff, and putting it in my bags. "I just want to go home."

"I know." He said helping me pack.

We didn't talk much, we just packed as quickly as we could until finally I was done and Matt started dragging my stuff downstairs to my car.

He was obviously in a hurry, but then again, so was I.

Clay jogged over to us once we made it outside, looking confused.

"You leaving?" He asked, looking between Matt and I.

"Yeah." I told him softly. "I can't do it anymore."

Clay looked at Matt. "You had better look after her." He told him softly and then he walked away.

"What was that about?" Matt asked me, looking as confused as I felt.

I shrugged. "I guess he'll miss me." I mumbled. "We have been doing this together for a while."

"Maybe." Matt mumbled, putting my stuff in my trunk.

"We better round up the boy's." I told him as I shut the trunk.

I was all packed and now I just wanted to get on the road, get home.

"Yep." He said smiling and grabbing my hand.

We found the boy's, playing soccer and got them a drink before I helped Matt load them into his car.

"Well, I'll be right behind you." I told him as he opened the driver's side.

He pulled me to him, hugging me. "Yep"

"And I'm going to get Lucy straight away." I'd missed her, so much.

Matt kissed me softly. "By the time you do that I should be at your house."

"You're coming over?" I asked him, secretly glad.

"Of course I am Chloe." He murmured, kissing me again. "I just want to spend some time with you."

"Good." I whispered. "Now let's go."

He kissed me again and we both jumped in our car's, getting the hell out there. As I drove away I looked in my rear view mirror. I wasn't going to miss the place, but damn it would always be special, it had led me to Matt after all.

We stopped about half way for a coffee, the boy's were sound asleep in the car so I ran in, grabbed the coffees and Matt and I stole a few kisses before hitting the road again.

I turned on the radio and sang. I was so happy and I just couldn't contain it. Matt made me happy. He brought out the best in me and that was what I needed in my life.

I'd pushed people away for years, but now I was letting someone in and I deserved it, I deserved to be happy.

There came a point on the highway where we went our separate ways and I headed off to get my Lucy while Matt took the boy's home.

Lucy was so excited to see me and I showered her with kisses, before taking her to the car and pushing her in. I hadn't even gone home first, I just went straight to get her.

Finally home and I took Lucy straight out the back while I unpacked the car, dragging my stuff in, once that was done I laid on the floor and Lucy and I cuddled.

She was my best friend, she'd always been there for me and we had a bond that was unbreakable my dog and I, we really did.

Eventually I got up off the floor, heading into the kitchen for some much needed coffee and just as it was ready my doorbell rang.

I opened the door smiling and there he was, standing there, looking perfect.

"Well hello." He murmured, walking in and pulling me to him.

"Hi." I whispered as he kissed me softly.

"I hope you don't mind." He murmured. "I brought a bag." And he held up a backpack.

I didn't mind at all. I had been hoping he might stay the might. "Of course I don't." I told him, hugging him. "Want coffee?"

He smiled, following me into the kitchen as I made us coffee I glanced at my answering machine.

"God." I groaned, more to myself. "I should probably call my Mother back." Because I had no doubt all of the messages were from her.

"You probably should." Matt said softly and I looked at him. He walked over, pulling me to his chest. "It's okay Chloe." He murmured. "Just call her."

I nodded, grabbing the phone. He was right, it would be okay, I just needed to bite the bullet and do it already.

"Chloe." My Mother snapped, answering almost immediately. "Where the hell have you been?"

"Working away." I snapped back, not that it was any of her business.

"Well shit's really hit the fan here." She went on. "It's a mess, you need to call Drew."

"What for?" I asked, not really wanting to speak to him at all.

"God Chloe." She said in a softer tone. "It really is a mess. Harper knows and well Jasmine and Drew have separated and yeah, it's just a mess."

"Oh." I wasn't sure what else to say. My Sister and my ex husband had separated and my daughter finally knew who I was.

"Yes oh." Mom snapped again. "Now call Drew." And she hung up.

Of course she would blame me for this, even though it had nothing to do with me. Hell they're the ones who took my daughter from me, they're to blame.

"I have to call Drew." I told Matt quickly, dialling Drew's number.

Matt smiled at me, taking my hand. "It's okay babe." He murmured and it was okay, he was here so I was okay.

"Hello." I said as Drew answered.

"Chloe." He said sounding surprised. "Where the hell have you been?"

I frowned, everyone was suddenly so bloody concerned about where I'd been. "Working."

"Oh yeah." He murmured. "Anyway, so a lot has happened." He told me.

I looked at Matt, he calmed me down. "So I've heard."

"Yeah well." He mumbled. "Good and bad and well Harper knows." He added softly.

I bit my lip. "She does?"

"Yes." He said softly. "And she wants to see you Chloe."

I looked at Matt with wide eye's, gripping his hand tightly. My daughter, my baby wanted to see me.

"Well good." I said, trying to sound confident. "I mean she is my daughter after all."

"Chloe." He moaned. "Please don't start."

"You started this." I snapped at him, trying my hardest not to hang up on him.

"Look I'm not fighting okay." He said in a softer tone. "Do you want to see Harper or not?"

"Of course I do." I told him, closing my eye's. I'd never wanted anything so much in my life.

"Well good. How about tomorrow?" He asked me.

"Tomorrow?" I asked, looking at Matt.

Matt smiled, squeezing my hand. "Tomorrow is good babe." He whispered and I nodded back at him.

"Yes tomorrow is good." I said quickly, feeling horribly nervous all of a sudden.

"Great." Drew said. "I'll drop her off at your place around eleven." He told me. "See you then." And he hung up.

"Tomorrow." I whispered, looking at Matt.

He smiled, getting up and pulling me into his arm's. "Tomorrow Chloe." He whispered.

Jesus, I was seeing my daughter tomorrow, tomorrow and that thought was terrifying.

I couldn't help myself, I started crying and Matt held me close, letting me.

"Chloe." He murmured and I looked up at him. "It will be okay." And I nodded as he kissed me softly. "I'll be here." He went on. "We'll do this together."

"We will." I whispered, closing my eye's as he kissed me again.

He kissed my nose, pulling me into a tight hug.

"You know." He whispered softly in my ear. "I love you."

And that was it. More tears.