A Place of Hope and No Pain

Chapter 64

Matt's POV

"Ready?" I asked the boy's as they climbed into the car.

I'd just picked them up from Lucy and we were spending the day together.

"What are we doing Daddy?" Ryder asked once I was in and driving.

"Well first." I told them. "We're going to see Nan and Poppy and then we can go and see Chloe."

"Yayyy." Jaxson screamed and I knew the mention of Chloe would excite him.

I was glad he liked Chloe, I really was and I was pleased to see that even Ryder was warming up to her, regardless of what his Mother was no doubt saying.

They chatted while I drove and once we arrived at my parents they jumped out of the car, running up to the door.

By the time I reached the door Mom had opened it and the boy's had disappeared inside.

"Good news." I told Mom as I followed her into the kitchen.

"And what is that?" She asked me, putting on some coffee.

"I sold the house." And I was so happy about it, finally that was done and I could find a new place, to start my new life.

"Well where are you going to live Matthew?" Mom asked, looking at me.

"Well I better hurry up and find a new place." I said sitting down and I really did need to find a new house.

I'd looked at a few places, but so far nothing had really caught my eye.

"You might end up homeless." She told me, placing a coffee in front of me.

I smiled. "I'm pretty sure Chloe would let me stay with her until I found a place." And when I did I was kind of hoping Chloe might move in with me too.

Mom looked at me and nodded. "So." She went on. "Lunch is here for Thanksgiving."

"Yeah I figured it would be." I told her, I mean it usually was here.

"Yep, we're going to have a nice family day." She said, sitting down. "No drama."

I frowned. "Why would there be drama?"

"Well." She said. "I don't know, your Sister is coming and I would just like a nice day, a family day, no drama." And she emphasised the drama part again.

I nodded. "Yeah me, Chloe, Harper and the boy's will be here."

"Um, about that." Mom said. "Well I told you I wanted a family day." She said looking at her coffee.

"Well yeah you did." I said watching her. What was her point?

"Well with your Sister coming and everything I meant it when I said only family." She said, finally meeting my eye's. "Lucy is coming."

"Wait." I said. "So you're telling me Chloe isn't invited?" Was she fucking serious? My girlfriend wasn't invited but my soon to be ex wife was?

"Well yes Matthew." She snapped. "That's exactly what I'm telling you. Your Sister doesn't know anything at all about this stupid divorce and I want her stay here to be a good one., a pleasant one, without any fighting."

"Are you serious?" I snapped. "My stupid divorce will be final in a few weeks and she doesn't know?"

Mom shook her head. "No, and well Lucy and I thought just for the day we could play happy family's."

Lucy, of course she had something to do with this. It would seem now she had my own Mother turning against Chloe.

Mom sighed, looking at me. "Can you just do it?" she asked. "Just for lunch."

I frowned. How the fuck was I meant to go to Thanksgiving without Chloe? What the fuck was I going to tell her?

"But Chloe." I said and Mom threw me a foul look.

"Yes Chloe Matthew." She snapped. "All I'm asking is that you spend a few hours with your family, your wife and your children. Is that too much to ask?"

"Well I guess not." And I guessed it wouldn't be that bad, like she said, it was only for a few hours.

"Good." She said smiling. "Now Matt your Father and I are very proud of you, especially now, but I wish you'd stop this nonsense and go back to Lucy."

Oh yeah, Lucy had been at her.

I stood up, draining my cup. "It's not nonsense." I muttered. "It really isn't."

I gathered the boy's and we got in the car, heading over to Chloe's. I felt bad, this whole Thanksgiving thing seemed wrong, but hopefully Chloe would understand and after that was all over I'd sit down with my parents and explain it to them, explain that I was in love with Chloe and that we were staying together. They'd like her, I knew they would, I just needed them to give her a chance, without Lucy whispering in their ears.

We arrived and as was the same as at my Parents place the boys were out and at the door before I'd even turned the car off, running inside after Lucy as soon as Chloe opened the door.

"Hey." I said watching her close the front door.

"Hi." She smiled and I couldn't help myself. I reached out, pulling her to me and kissing her softly. "Are you and the boy's staying for dinner?" She asked me softly.

"We sure are." I murmured. "And then we're having a sleep over."

"Good." She whispered, kissing me again.

I didn't bother asking Chloe over, I knew she wouldn't come. She'd finally told me that being in the house made her uncomfortable and I was okay with that, I could understand why.

"But I'm having a sleep over here tomorrow night." I murmured in between kisses.

"Good." She whispered again.

The boy's played while Chloe and I made dinner, then we all sat down and ate together. I liked it, it was like a family, the family I wanted.

"So." Chloe said after we'd finished eating and were cleaning up. "Have you decided if you're having Thanksgiving lunch with Harper and I?"

I smiled at her mention Harper. I was so happy for her. Harper and Chloe had started a relationship and it was a beautiful thing to see. They were seeing a lot of each other and I loved it, I loved them.

"Um well." I said, my brain turning. "I'm taking the boy's to lunch at Mom and Dad's." I explained. "It's a family thing, you know." I mumbled and fuck that sounded so lame.

She smiled. "Of course you are." She said softly. "What was I thinking."

God fucking dammit.

"But." I whispered, leaning over and brushing her lips with mine. "As soon as it's over I'll be here and we can have dinner together."

She smiled. "That sounds great." She said softly. "And besides, lunch with Harper will be nice."

"Exactly." I told her. "Spend some quality time with your daughter."

Except that I wanted to spend quality with her and her daughter. I wanted them to come to Thanksgiving lunch with me.

Damn Lucy and damn my Mother for listening to her.