Remenissions

Chapter 10

Martina's POV

I sat on the edge of the bed and stretched, it was just after midday and I'd only just woken up. I sat there for a few minutes, waking up, listening. Everything was quiet so I guessed Lana and Matt were still sleeping and I smiled, I was touched that they'd come all this way just for me, it meant a lot.

I got up, using the bathroom then heading into the little kitchen to make some coffee, I grabbed a cup then started for the porch, stopping at Matt and Lana's room first.

"Hey guy's." I said opening the door quietly and sticking my head in. "It's after midday." And then I chuckled softly to myself. The bed was a mess of arms and legs everywhere.

"Huh?" Lana mumbled sitting up and slapping Matt's arm that was on her chest. "Fuck off." She muttered.

"Go away." Matt groaned and I closed the door, heading for the porch.

I sat down, enjoying the peace, well only for a moment because Lana came stumbling out, clutching a cup of coffee.

"I feel like shit." She mumbled sitting next to me and I nodded, I bet she did. "That bed is so fucking small."

"It is little." I added.

"Double my ass." She mumbled, rubbing her head. "And that big sweaty piece of shit takes up the whole bed. He can sleep on the couch tonight."

"I am not sleeping on the couch." Matt told her, walking out, clutching his own coffee and sitting on the steps.

"Well be considerate." Lana snapped at him and I watched him grin at her, infuriating her further.

"I'm hungry." Matt announced and I nodded, I was a little hungry myself so we headed back inside to make some breakfast/lunch, whatever you wanted to call it.

"So how's the wedding plans going?" I asked Matt, once we'd sat down at the table to eat. I knew they wanted to address the Brian issue and I was hoping to avoid it at any cost right now.

He shrugged. "Eh, okay, Courtney is dealing with most of it." And he looked at Lana. "We have to find you a dress." He told her and she nodded.

In my own problems I'd forgotten all about Lana being best man and I really wanted to talk to her about it, find out how she felt.

"I might have a shower." Matt announced standing up and I looked at Lana.

"Feel like going for a walk?" I asked her.

She nodded. "Sure, why not." Watching Matt put his dish in the sink.

"Well don't go to far." He told us as I stood up and Lana went to get her shoes.

"What, do you think we'll get lost?" She snapped, walking back out and pulling her shoes on.

"No." He told her. "Go down to the lake, I'll meet you there when I'm finished."

"Okay okay." Lana said, grabbing a band and tying her hair back. "Ready?" She asked looking at me and I nodded, following her out the door.

We walked in silence for a little while, Lana mumbling under her breath about the bugs, while swiping at them. I smiled, she really wasn't at home in nature.

"So." I said to her eventually. "Best man." And then I let my statement hang in the air.

Lana was quiet for a little while longer, but then, then she started. "Yes best man. Can you believe that? Best fucking man. I don't know Marty, should I be insulted, I mean I feel insulted, I'm not a man, I have boobs, how the fuck can I be best man? Ugh fuck Matt."

I waited until I was sure she was finished. I mean she was pretty upset about it, I didn't realise how upset she was though until now, but I didn't blame her, I could see her point.

"Are you sure it's Matt?" I asked her quietly.

"What?" She said looking at me.

"Courtney might have something to do with it." I suggested.

"Ugh you're right, Matt did say he wanted me as a bridesmaid but she didn't have room." I watched as she kicked a stone. "I don't know Marty, I don't think she likes me. She tolerates me, but doesn't like me. What's going to happen once they're married?" And she let the question hang in the air.

I wish I could give her the answer she wanted, but I had to agree, I didn't think Courtney liked her and I, like Lana, had a feeling that once she had that ring on Matt's finger she was going to split Matt and Lana apart. But what could we do? He wanted to marry her.

We walked in silence again for a little while and I could see the lake, we were almost there.

"Should have brought my swimmers down." Lana mumbled and I realised she was still a little upset.

"We can come down again later." I told her.

We reached the lake and found a place to sit, then we both stared out at the water, I guess both of us thinking.

"Why didn't you call me Marty?" She suddenly asked me. "Sunday, why didn't you call?"

"Lana, I was just so devastated, I didn't know what to do." I told her softly. "Please don't take it to heart, I couldn't talk to anybody."

"Okay." She whispered, looking at the water. "So I want to talk about Brian, but I know you don't want to."

"I really don't."

"So, let me tell you about my date." She went on.

"You had a date?" I asked her, smiling, secretly pleased.

"I did, with Nick, that guy we met on Sunday." She told me. "He took me to dinner and a movie."

"Did you have fun?" I asked her, remembering Nick and happy that he'd called her.

"I did, he was really nice." She said. "And, well, he kissed me."

"He did?" I asked, grinning at her.

"He did." She said smiling and looking down at her feet.

I looked at her, she didn't look as happy as I would expect her to be, after going on a date with a nice guy, she looked a little forced about the whole thing.

"Are you going again?" I asked her, analysing her face. Yep, she definitely wasn't as keen as she was making out.

"Is who going out again?" Matt asked, suddenly appearing and flopping down next to Lana.

"Lana going out with Nick again." I said, filling him in.

"Well?" He asked, looking at her. "Are you going out again?"

"Yes I am." She said matter of factly and I smiled. At least she was giving it a chance.

"Awww how cute." Matt said, putting his arm around her. "Lana's got a boyfriend."

Lana slapped his arm away and I saw a look pass over her face.

What was that about? I needed to find out. It would give me something to do.

I needed something to get my mind Off Brian. Brian. I missed him so much it hurt and I couldn't help myself, I looked at Lana and Matt and burst into tears.