Remenissions

Chapter 20

Martina's POV

I took my coffee outside, it was a beautiful morning and I was up early so I wanted to enjoy the sunshine. I'd slept like shit, because Brian wasn't in my bed and I missed him, a lot. I know, I was pathetic, he was there for a couple of days but in the time we spent at Big Bear I'd felt we'd grown closer, closer than we ever had been.

I sat in the sun, flicking through bridal magazines when I heard the phone ring inside. I jumped up, running as fast as I could, I was hoping it was Brian and as I reached it I smiled, it was him.

"Morning." I answered.

"Morning babe." He said in a husky voice.

"You're up early."

"Yeah, I didn't sleep well and I'm about to head down to breakfast." He explained. "Lana and Matt are still sleeping."

"How was your day yesterday?" I asked, I was curious, I wasn't going to lie, it was Vegas after all.

"Okay, we hung by the pool and went out for awhile, but we got to bed pretty early." He told me.

I smiled. "I hope you're behaving."

"You know I am Marty." He murmured and I missed him, just the sound of his voice was making me sad. "I wish you were here." He whispered.

"I wish I was there too." I murmured back at him. "Anyway, it's only a couple of days." I said, trying to lighten the conversation. "What are you doing today?"

"Well today apparently we're going to The Grand Canyon." He chuckled. "I don't know that some of the guy's will be so keen, but Lana's organised a helicopter flight and stuff so it should be a good day."

"Damn, I've always wanted to do that." It was the truth, I had always wanted to do that.

"I'll bring you out here babe, we can do it together." He told me.

"Good. So is the big party tonight?" I asked, smiling at his sweet words.

"Yep, should be a good night." He told me. "I hope Matt's prepared, I think Lana has gone all out on this one."

"Oh I'm sure she has." I giggled and I knew she had, she'd told me all about it.

"Anyway, I'm starving babe." He said. "I'll call you later on this afternoon okay?"

"Okay." I murmured. "I love you."

"And I love you gorgeous." He murmured hanging up.

Great. I loved that he called me but now I was depressed, missing him more than ever.

I decided to grab something to eat while I was inside then I headed back outside, spending the morning laying in the sun, swimming and looking at wedding shit. I still couldn't believe that I was excited at the prospect of my wedding, I was really getting into the whole thing and I already knew exactly what type of dress I wanted.

I was contemplating whether I should get up and make some lunch and what the hell I was going to have when the doorbell rang, interrupting my thoughts of food.

Who the fuck is that? I wondered as I headed to the door, quickly pulling a dress over my head. I had no idea who it was and I wasn't answering the door in my fucking bikini.

"Oh." I said, opening the door to reveal Courtney standing there looking terrible.

"Martina." She said and I looked her up and down.

She looked like absolute crap, her clothes looked unironed and her hair wasn't really done.

"Um hey." I said awkwardly, wondering what the fuck she was doing here.

"Ugh Martina." She said, pushing past me and walking inside. "I'm sorry to just show up unannounced but I was wondering if I could talk to you? I just have to talk to somebody and you're the only one who I could I think of."

I was shocked. She wanted to talk to me? "Um sure." I said slowly. "Let's go sit out the back." We headed out and as we got to the kitchen I offered her a drink.

"Coke." She said quickly, so I grabbed her one and we went out the back door.

"So what's up?" I asked her as we sat down.

She looked at me, rubbing her head. "Um, Marty I need to ask you something, it's weird but yeah, I need to know."

"Um, okay sure Courtney." I said shifting in my seat. I couldn't imagine what she needed to know off me.

"Look I've asked before but I need to know the truth." She blurted. "Is Lana in love with Matt?"

Oh here we go again. "Look Courtney, I'm pretty sure she's not, I mean they're best friends, that's it, nothing more."

"I know they're best friends, it just worries me." She said, glancing around, avoiding my eye's.

"Look you've probably got wedding jitters or something." And I was feeling a bit sorry for her, she looked so distressed. "Why don't you hang out here today?"

"I wish they were wedding jitters Martina." She cried. "But I have this horrible feeling that if Lana loved Matt he'd dump me. I'm his second choice, I just know it."

"You're being ridiculous Courtney, honestly." I said, I was trying to reassure her but I think I was failing.

"I mean she's with him now, all weekend, who knows what might happen." She said taking deep breaths, trying to calm herself down.

"Look Courtney, you're getting worked up over nothing." I told her, positive that she was.

"No Marty." She cried and I looked at her, she'd started crying. "I'm not getting worked up over nothing, he said her name, he said her fucking name." She sobbed.

"He said her name?" I asked, feeling a little confused.

"Yes." She said, wiping her face. "He said her name, he said 'Oh god Lana'."

I looked at her, shocked. "Um." I wasn't sure what to say.

"He said that while he was fucking me Marty, he moaned her name while he was fucking me, his fiancé."

"Oh I'm sure he didn't mean it." I said quickly. I mean fuck, what was I meant to say?

"You didn't hear him." She cried. "He had no idea he said it and he still doesn't know, but he moaned another woman's name."

I chewed on my lip. "Look he's tired Courtney, all this wedding stuff and wasn't he out dress shopping with Lana last week?" I asked.

"Well yes he was."

"Well there you go, he's just tired Court, I mean you're getting married, you've been together for ages, I think you're overreacting." I was grasping at straws.

"Ugh maybe you're right." She sobbed, wiping her face again. "I mean Lana."

I didn't really like the way she said Lana but I let it slide, she was distressed and feeling unsure. "Yeah, so let's have some lunch, hang out."

She nodded, half heartedly smiling at me. "You're right Marty, I'm being silly."

I nodded at her only I wondered if she was being silly. Something weird was going on, something with Lana and now something with Matt. I hoped it was only the stress of the wedding and the recent strain that had been on their friendship but I had to wonder if it was that. But Matt and Lana?

I smiled at that thought, then quickly wiped the smile off face. Matt and Lana together, that was a nice thought.

But I wasn't going to tell Courtney that.