Remenissions

Chapter 26

Martina's POV

This wasn't going as planned, everybody was supposed to be happy for us but Lana was sitting there crying her eye's out, she didn't look very happy.

I wanted to go to her but Matt was whispering to her and I had a feeling that he was the fucking problem to be begin with.

"Lana." I said, interrupting them. "Come inside for a minute." And I took her hand, leading her into the bathroom. "Lana, what's wrong, aren't you happy for me?"

She wiped her face, nodding. "Of course I am Marty, I'm so very happy for you."

"Then why the tears?" I asked her.

"Because I'm just so fucking happy." She sobbed and I reached out, pulling her to me. God, she was breaking my heart.

"Oh Lana." I whispered. "Talk to me, please."

"No." She said pulling away and wiping her face. "I'm fine, I'm okay."

"Lana you're not okay." I said softly.

"Yes I am." She said opening the door. "I'm fine." And she headed out the back. "Oh and Marty." She said stopping. "Congratulations." And I watched as her eye's filled up with tears again.

This was horrible, I thought as I followed her back out, I wanted everyone to be happy for us, but here was Lana, she was anything but happy. No that was wrong, Lana was happy for us, she just wasn't happy with herself.

"Everything okay?" Brian asked as I sat back down and I nodded.

"Yeah she was just a little shocked." I told him. "You know Lana doesn't cope well with surprises." And he looked at me and raised his eyebrow's because he knew I was damn well lying. "Well." I mumbled.

"Yeah well." He said putting his arm around me. "You're a terrible liar." And it was true, I was.

"Anyway she said she's fine. And look." I said, looking over at Lana. "She's fine now." And she did appear fine, she was sitting there, Nick had his arm across her shoulders and he was whispering something to her.

"Yeah I guess." Brian agreed. "Anyway, I want dessert."

I agreed with him, I wanted dessert and I got up, getting it ready then serving it to everyone, sitting back down and enjoying the company.

I looked around the table. These were all my friends and I was glad they were here, sharing this with us. I glanced at Lana again, she was sitting there eating her dessert, Nick was leaning forward and it seemed he was talking to Matt. I wondered what they were talking about, Nick was gesticulating with his hands and Matt was looking down at his dessert, frowning.

"Um Brian." I said, leaning over. "Do you want to intercept." I said indicating to Matt and Nick.

"Oh man." He groaned. "Hey who wants a game a pool?" Brian asked and I watched as Matt stood up quickly, volunteering.

"I will." Nick said smiling and I inwardly groaned. I had a feeling that Matt didn't like Nick and I knew it was because of Lana.

That was it, I'd had enough. I stood up, grabbing the empty plates. "Here, make yourself useful." I snapped, shoving them at Matt. "Take them inside."

Courtney opened her mouth to protest but I just glared at her, daring her to say something. Thank god she had the sense to shut her trap quickly.

I followed Matt into the kitchen and as he placed the plates on the bench, I pounced.

"Matt are you purposely trying to make Lana's life miserable?" I snapped.

He looked shocked, raising his eyebrow's. "No." He spat. "I'm not making her life miserable."

"Well you obviously don't like Nick." I pointed out.

He shrugged. "Well there's something about him I don't like, I'm not going to pretend to like him Marty."

Oh that was it, I'd had enough. "Why not." I snapped. "Lana pretends to like Courtney for your sake, when the truth is Lana can't fucking stand her, but she tolerates her, for you Matt."

I looked at his face, obviously he had no idea that Lana wasn't a Courtney fan, his face said it all. "I never asked her to do that." He mumbled.

"No you fucking idiot, you didn't, but she's doing it because she wants you to stay in her life Matt." I was on a roll now. "You and her, you go back years and she's willing to sacrifice her feelings to ensure your friendship stays strong."

He snorted, clenching his fist. "Yeah I know." He snapped. "Best friends and all that shit Marty, I know all about that." He turned, heading for the door. "Lana needn't worry, I'm her friend, I always will be, regardless of what happens." And he walked outside, wailing at Courtney, telling her they were going home.

I stood in the kitchen shocked, unsure of what had just happened. Matt had said he and Lana would always be friends, but he seemed bitter about it, upset.

Fuck, this was all turning out to be a big mess and I could not wait until everybody fucked off and left. I just wanted to go to bed and forget about Matt and fucking Lana. They were doing my head in and I'd had enough of their drama. Honestly, I couldn't wait for the fucking wedding then all of this shit, this crap going on between Lana and Matt would be over because he'd be married and she would have no choice but to get over it.

Now I felt like a bitch, thinking that and I quickly excused myself, heading to the bathroom and sitting on the toilet, crying softly.

I didn't know how to sort out this problem. Lana wouldn't let me help her, Matt was being a stubborn ass and fuck, he was getting married whether we liked it or not.

I was worried and I was scared. Over the last few weeks I'd seen Lana's mood plummet, I'd seen her happiness plummet and I was scared that this marriage would destroy her, I really was.

I told Brian all my fears, later as we got in bed, and he held me. "Marty baby." He whispered. "You can't help everybody." And I nodded into his chest. "I mean maybe you're making more out of this than there is. Lana has a boyfriend now, if she was in love with Matt, she wouldn't get a boyfriend."

He had a point, if you were in love with someone, you wouldn't actively pursue someone else would you?

God, my head was a mess, I was upset and confused and I needed to ignore it, ignore their problems. Lana didn't want my help and from now on she wasn't getting it. I had my own life to worry about.

But poor Lana.