Remenissions

Chapter 32

Martina's POV

I sat there in the church uncomfortably. I mean why were church pews always so damn uncomfortable anyway? For us sinners? Anyway I sat there and looked around, watching Matt and Lana come into the church, walking down the front, holding hands. It was weird, he was getting married, yet here he was, clinging to another woman. As far as I was concerned him holding Lana's hand spoke volumes to me, he was making mistake, he was marrying the wrong woman.

I glanced around, wondering what all these people would say when I stood up, objecting to the marriage, and I realised I didn't care, the could suck my fuck, this marriage was a mistake and I didn't care what anyone thought of me.

I watched Matt and Brian get up and disappear into a room and I wondered what they were doing. Hopefully Matt was waking up to himself. Wouldn't that be great.

Matt's mom ran down the aisle to Lana, then Lana got up going to the door. I don't know what happened, but her face when she turned around, something was going on and I felt a little excitement building in my chest. Brian stuck his head out and said something to Lana and I smiled at her as she walked down the aisle and outside.

Everyone began shifting uncomfortably in their seats as Lana made her way back to the front of the church and Brian came back out, sitting next to her. He had his head close to hers, whispering.

I began smiling, well because something was obviously going on and the longer we sat here, the longer I could think of what I was going to say. "You can't marry her because she's an ass." Wasn't good enough.

"What's going on?" The man next to me whispered and I just looked at him shrugged.

"No idea." I whispered back. "Cold feet perhaps." And I smiled.

He shook his head and turned to watch Matt's parents get up and walk outside the church, whispering furiously to each other.

I looked over at Brian and Lana, she was looking at him with huge eye's and I could read her lips. 'What do you mean gone?'

Gone? Did she say gone? And then suddenly we heard this horrible wailing sound from outside and I knew straight away it was from Courtney. Lana had obviously said gone. Matt had come to his senses and left. Well at least I hoped he had.

The man next to me raised his eyebrows and I put my hand to my mouth. I had to cover it, I was grinning like an idiot and I was doing my best to hide my joy.

"Ahem." A voice suddenly said and we all looked to the front to see the Priest standing there, with Brian and Lana. "Brian has a little something to say."

Brian shuffled his feet and Lana stood there, looking wide eyed, chewing on her lip.

"Um." Brian started. "Um." And Lana looked at him, shrugging. "Um, so Matt would like to apologise to everyone of you." I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs. "He, um, he needs to clear his head. Um." Jesus, how many times can he say um? "But he has asked that you all still attend the reception centre, have a party and a drink on him." He looked at Lana, raising his eyebrows. "So yeah, there will be no wedding today. Sorry."

I gripped onto the pew with my hands. I gripped it hard. I wanted to jump up and scream, scream at the top of my lungs. YAFUCKINGHOO. But I didn't, I gathered that some people wouldn't be impressed with my reaction.

I leant over to the man next to me. "Well." I said. "I guess we should go and get a drink don't you?" And I watched Brian head to the front of the church and walk out.

I stood up and excused myself, torn between going to Lana, who was still at the front of the church, looking like she was going to have a breakdown, or going to Brian, and getting the gossip.

I chose Brian and I headed out to the front, stopping to survey the scene.

Courtney was a mess and she was being consoled by her friends and family. I barely glanced at her, making my way over to Brian, who was smoking a cigarette under a tree, looking stressed.

"I thought you were giving up." I said to him, smiling.

"Fuck Marty." He mumbled. "What a fucking mess."

"Well?" I asked.

"Well what?"

"Brian what happened, and where is Matt?" I asked, dying to know.

"What happened, I'll tell you what happened." He said, putting his cigarette out. "Matt completely freaked out, is what happened. He said he couldn't do it, said he couldn't marry her. I told him not to, I mean clearly he was doing the wrong thing." He looked at me and sighed. "Is it wrong that I'm glad Marty?"

"No." I said stepping towards him and wrapping my arms around his waist. "I'm glad, very glad. Did he tell you why?"

He shook his head. "Not really, but you could tell why, well I think, I think Lana, but he didn't say and he refused to speak to Lana so I don't really know, I don't know."

"Where is he?" I asked, looking up at him.

"He said he was going away for a few days, to clear his head." He told me. "I think he's confused, I don't know, all I know was that he freaked out and he's done the right thing."

"He has Brian." I said. "He has done the right thing, this wedding was never meant to be."

He nodded, getting out another cigarette. "Yeah but fuck, he left it to me to tell everyone the bad news."

I smiled. "And you did a great job babe, so how about we go to the reception centre and get shit faced?" I suggested.

"Ugh, you know me so well." He smiled.

We headed towards the cars, walking past Courtney and I stopped.

"I might just go offer my condolences." I said to Brian.

"Yeah I don't know that she wants to see any of us right now." Brian muttered, rolling his eye's at her crying.

"I'll only be a sec." I told him, heading over to Courtney.

She looked at me as I approached her and I held my arms out, offering her a hug.

"Oh Marty." She sobbed, stepping into them.

I pulled her close to me and placed my lips next to her ear. "Oh Courtney, I just wanted to say fuck you." I whispered. "You're a bitch and I'm glad he dumped your ass, you deserved it."

She let out a cry, trying to pull away from me, but I had one more thing to say, one more thing I wanted her to know.

"Oh and Courtney." I murmured, smiling widely. "He meant to moan her name you know, when he was fucking you, he meant to say Lana, because, well, because it's her he wants."

I pushed her away and turned towards the car laughing.

This was the best day of my life.