Remenissions

Chapter 5

Lana's POV

"You're a slut." Marty said, taking a mouthful of her coke.

I put mine down and looked at her. "I beg your pardon?"

"You heard me, giving some strange guy your number."

"Well he's not a stranger, I know his name is Nick and besides, only last night you were lecturing me about meeting someone, so he asked for it, I gave it." I told her.

"Do you think he'll call?" She asked me.

I shrugged, I had no idea, all we were doing was having a late lunch and one of the guys who worked in the restaurant asked for my number so I gave it to him. He's was pretty good looking and if he called me, yeah, I would probably go out with him, why not, I had no reason not to date. "Maybe."

Marty opened her mouth and thank god my phone rang, interrupting her, I was getting a little over her and I was glad for the interruption.

I looked at it and groaned internally. Matt.

"Hello." I answered.

"Hey, what are you doing?" He asked straight away.

"Currently I'm out shopping with Marty, and we're having a late lunch."

"What are you doing later?" He asked.

"I don't know Matthew. Define later?"

"Dinner, tonight." He said. "We can hang out, watch movies, eat."

The last thing I wanted to do was hang out with him and Courtney.

"I'll stay over." He added, possibly sensing my hesitation.

"What, just you?" I asked, trying to sound casual., but probably failing.

"Yeah, we haven't done that for awhile." He said and he was right, we used to always hang out at each others places, watching movies and he'd always stay over, but then Courtney happened and it pretty much stopped. Actually a lot of things stopped once Courtney arrived on the scene.

"I guess so, why not." I agreed. I was looking forward to it, just hanging out with Matt.

"Good, I'll see you about five." He said, hanging up.

"Well I have to leave soon." I told Marty, shoving my phone back in my bag. "Matt's coming over to hang out."

"Oh well." Marty said. "That will be nice, you two hanging out." And I had to agree, it would be nice.

I think I'd probably be able to cope with this marriage more if Matt and I could keep our friendship, just spending time with him would be enough for me. I just hoped Courtney wouldn't come between us.

We finished up eating and payed our bill. I said bye to Nick and he assured me again he'd call me, but I guessed I'd see.

Marty took me home and as I grabbed my stuff climbing out she leaned over, looking at me. "At least you got some nice stuff today."

"Yeah." I mumbled. I didn't really, I got a couple of dresses that Marty insisted I buy, dresses that I knew I'd never wear but I wanted to keep her happy.

"Very pretty." She went on and I realised she was stalling leaving.

"Yep , very." I said, half closing the door. "Better go, I'll call you later." And I shut the door, running up the front steps.

As I let myself in and walked up to my apartment I felt a little bad. Poor Marty was trying to avoid Brian, but I really wished she'd speak to him, at least then she'd know what was going on.

I walked in and threw my bags on the couch, looking around, at least the place was reasonably tidy and I quickly ran around, putting a few things away. Not long after the buzzer went and I buzzed Matt in and opened the door, waiting for him to appear at the top of the stairs.

"Hey." He called, reaching the top and smiling at me widely.

"Hi." I said stepping back and letting him in and I watched him walk over to the couch, grabbing stuff and pulling things out of my shopping bags.

"I see you bought a bit." He said, then he laughed. "Really Lana, this." He said holding up one of the dresses.

I snatched it off him, he didn't have to be so rude about it. "Yes, a dress." I mumbled grabbing the rest and taking into my room.

"So what do you feel like eating?" He asked as I came back out and sat down.

"I don't care." I said, and I didn't, I felt awkward, weird, I think it was because he was getting married.

"Pizza." He announced and I sat there while he ordered. I didn't have to tell him what I wanted, he knew me so well.

The pizza arrived and we chatted while we ate and I was glad we weren't talking about the wedding, I just really didn't want to.

It wasn't until we were halfway through a movie, when Matt paused it that shit really hit the fan, and when it did I did what I usually did when it came to Matt, I just pretended that it was all okay.

"So Lana." Matt said, turning to me. "We've decided not to have a long engagement, we're getting married in October."

I looked at him. Fuck, that was only three months. "Nice." I wasn't sure what else to say, because what I really wanted to say would only cause problems.

"Yeah, anyway, Courtney is having a couple of friends and her sisters as bridesmaid." And I nodded. "I wanted her to have you."

"Oh no that's fine." I did not want to be bridesmaid at their wedding, no way.

"Anyway Courtney didn't want to upset any one by having you." He explained.

"That's fine Matt, I really don't mind." And believe me I didn't mind at all.

"Soooooo." He said smiling. "I want you to me my best man Lana, I mean you are my best friend and I want you to stand beside me."

Was he fucking serious? His best man? "What?" I asked, trying not to sound as offended as I was.

"Yeah, I really want you there Lana, I mean of course you'll have a dress and stuff, but please, for me." He begged.

I sighed. I would do anything for Matt, I really would, more than he would ever know and as I looked at him I knew I would do it, for him, I'd do it. "I guess." I said softly.

"Good, thanks so much." He said hugging me. "I just don't think I could do it without you Lana, I need you by my side."

That was really nice, that he wanted me by his side, that he needed me. It just hurt to know that he didn't want me in the same way I wanted him.