Status: comments would be appreciated :)

Sterling's Daughter

Chapter 17

Laya shut her locker door and turned to walk away. School was over for the day and she was glad. She needed to time to sit down and think about how she'd told Will that they were equal. She'd persuaded herself throughout her last classes that it was a stupid thing to say because now she would have to miss out on having someone to pick on. But she couldn't deny the feeling deep down inside that she wasn't feeling sorry about what she'd said. She couldn't seriously actually be glad that they weren't fighting and were talking to each other without fighting, could she? That thought was ridiculous.
Laya came face to face with Kirsty, who had been standing behind her with arms folded across her chest, and a curious look on her face.
"I want details," Kirsty stated. Laya felt like screaming.
"Come off it, Kirsty!" she almost wailed in despair.
"Hey, don't blame me for being a curious person with a vivid imagination," Kirsty pretended to pout. "That was my mother's fault. I've been told I'm a lot like my mother. And she's a reeeeally good listener."
Laya chewed on her bottom lip, trying not to let her mouth curve upwards into a smile.
"How blantantly obvious can someone get?" she asked, while managing to keep a straight face. Kirsty shrugged.
"I have no idea," she said, smiling calmly.
Laya rolled her eyes and laughed.
"Fine, you win. He said he was sorry for acting like a jerk so I felt bad and said that I was sorry for being a bitch to him. And that pretty much covers it," she added.
Kirsty looked a tiny bit disappointed.
"Really?" she asked. Laya stared at her curiously.
"I thought you were annoyed with me for fighting with him," she said.
"Oh, that did test me a little, but it was kinda..." Kirsty's voice trailed off as she eyed Laya warily.
"Kinda what?" Laya couldn't help suspicious. Kirsty pursed her lips thoughtfully, as though thinking over what she was going to say next.
"Oh, ya know...cute," she waved her hand vaguely. Laya almost choked.
"What?" she squealed. "Cute? That doesn't even...work. Fighting isn't cute."
"No, but you two are," Kirsty grinned very widely. It was obviously something she'd wanted to say for a long, long time, Laya thought grimly.
"We are not together, okay?" Laya said. "It was merely forgiveness, even though I still don't really know why I forgave him."
"Oh, and that's the other thing that makes you cute," Kirsty had a twinkle in her eyes that only made Laya more suspicious about what was to come. "You forgave him. Since when have you forgiven a guy in your life? And you said before that you felt bad when he apologised to you. Well, well. Who would have known that Will Hamilton was the one?"
Laya stared at Kirsty as her heart sank to her toes. She felt her cheeks go hot and she suddenly felt that desperate urge to get the hell out of there.
"You know what?" she blurted out suddenly. "Mum wanted me to walk home so I could stop by the dairy and grab a few things for her, so I should probably get going."
Laya stared to walk off, but Kirsty grabbed her arm.
"How blatantly obvious can someone get?" her friend asked and Laya looked around at the words she'd spoken a few moments ago. "Look Laya, I'm your friend and I can tell that you're lying. I get it, okay? You're a little worried about Will because he has this weird effect on you that you can't prevent from happening. You've blocked out and distanced yourself from so many guys that might like you, but for some reason you and Will always come crashing back together. Why? Because you like him Laya. Whether you feel comfortable admitting that or not."
Laya stared at Kirsty, not really knowing what to say.
"I have to go," she managed to get out, and before Kirsty could reply, she turned and basically ran outside. Her heart was slamming painfully in her chest, and she felt all hot and bothered. She decided to not take the bus home to avoid both Will and Kirsty, and headed in the opposite direction. She needed to think.
Because somewhere, deep inside, she had a feeling that Kirsty was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
please comment :) thanks for reading