Status: comments would be appreciated :)

Sterling's Daughter

Chapter 19

Rose was standing in the kitchen, laughing at something Melindy had said, when a firm hand closed around her wrist and jerked her backwards. Laya made sure her eyes had a forbidding look in them when she placed her face just centremetres from the other girl's.
"What?" Rose asked, confused.
"You said he wasn't going to be here," Laya hissed back, furious. It took a few seconds before understanding began to dawn in Rose's puzzled expression.
"Oh, you mean Will," she nodded thoughtfully.
"Yes, I mean Will," Laya rolled her eyes.
"Well, I never actually said he wasn't going to come," Rose replied calmly. "I simply said that 'I hadn't asked him'. That didn't mean that I wasn't going to. I hadn't asked him then, but I did later."
Laya let go of Rose's wrist and took a step back.
"Aren't you clever?" she said, the sarcasm unmistakable in her voice.
"Just give it a break, Laya," Melindy laid a hand on her arm. "He's actually started to be decent lately. And just because you don't like him doesn't mean that other people aren't constantly trying to uncover all sorts of bad things about him."
That's all too true, Laya thought reluctantly.
"Fine. You win," she groaned. "Just do me a favor and keep him out of my eyeline. Okay?"
Rose and Melindy just stared straight back, eyes wide with feigned innocence. Laya realised she was losing this little game of theirs.
"Aaghh! Fine!" she threw up her hands impatiently, and the other two started to grin. She eyed them, annoyed, then felt a reluctant smile pull at the corners of her mouth. Before it could be seen properly, she turned away and made her way back to Kirsty. Her friend was chatting to a boy their age and seemed to be leaning in a little too close. Laya gave her a small poke in the ribs and Kirsty shot backwards, head whipping around, looking more than just a little guilty.
"Sorry, what about Ty?" Laya teased. Kirsty blushed scarlett.
"We're just talking," she insisted. "Anyway, he's got a girlfriend."
Laya glanced around, curiously.
"She's not here," the boy said. "She couldn't make it."
"Right," Laya nodded slowly, giving Kirsty a pointed look. "I see. Seeking company from other rejected people who also belong in a relationship. Sweet."
"I said, we're just talking," Kirsty said in a low voice.
"I'm just joking," Laya said hastily. "Hey, you want me to get you another drink?"
"Sure," Kirsty smiled. "Thanks."
"No problem," Laya walked away. She'd only gone a few metres before she found herself pressed up against a person. She glanced up and found herself staring into the eyes of a tall, black haired boy who she didn't entirely recognise. He probably went to a different school. She opened her mouth to tell him to get out of her way, but no words seem to come out of her mouth. Admittedly, he was rather cute looking.
"Hey there," he smiled, showing rows of white teeth, and for some reason, Laya felt instant dislike for this guy. There was something very bold and confident about him that she didn't like. "What's your name?" he asked.
"Uh...Laya," she said stupidly, aware she was staring directly into his eyes. "I'm going to get a couple of drinks so could you please let me go?"
"Someone as pretty as you?" he smirked. "I don't think so."
"Please?" Laya tried to pull away, only to realise that his arms were circling her waist rather tightly. She ripped her eyes away from his and looked over her shoulder at Kirsty in desperation. But Kirsty was too involved in her conversation with the boy to even notice Laya, as well as her back being turned to her. There was no point in trying to call to her, she would never hear over the noise of the party and being that deep in conversation. Laya glanced around the room, but no one was paying any attention to her. THey were all doing there own things with their friends.
"Laya's a cute name," his head was very close to hers now.
"Really?" she mumbled. "I thought it was a terrible name."
He laughed. Laya swept the room with her eyes as she struggled to free herself.
"Let me go," she whined. His head dipped even more and his lips grazed her own. Ew. What was he trying to prove?
"Mate, just let her go," a voice said, and Laya felt a hand grab her arm and jerk her back. The boy released his hold on her a bit and she took the opportunity to step back, well out of his reach. "And leave her alone," the voice added, while it's owner pulled her back behind him.
"Will?" she squeaked, and relief flooded her. Thank goodness someone had seen her predicament and had come to help.
"Hang on," the other boy said, stepping foward. Laya took another step back . Will just sent him an angry look as he stood his ground.
"I said leave her alone, unless you want your face plastered all over the wall next to you. Back off," Will added, his voice threatening.
"You don't scare me," the other guy shrugged carelessly.
"Well, neither do you scare me," Will responded instantly. "Come on, Laya, let's go."
He pulled her away, keeping an eye on the other guy the entire time. Laya let him drag her outside onto the lawn before he stopped and faced her.
"Did he hurt you?" he demanded with such force that she flinched.
"No," she shook her head. "But he was holding on really tight."
"That wasn't hard to see," Will said.
"Thanks for that," Laya didn't even need to force the words out. "And I mean it. I really had no idea what I was going to do there and I was starting to panic."
Will shrugged. "'S'okay," he said easily. "Would I really let a guy like him take advantage of 'a pretty girl like you'?"
Laya stared at him.
"You were there the whole time, weren't you?" she asked. "From the minute I was pushed into him."
"I was leaning against the wall next to you two with a bunch of other guys. Of course I saw the whole thing," Will said.
"I never saw you," Laya replied.
"Didn't think you ever wanted to," Will said dryly, a small smile forming. Laya's heart began to race as he looked down at her, his dark eyes looking deep into hers. Without thinking, she reached up and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt.
Then she kissed him directly on the lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
please comment and subscribe

thanks for reading

:)