Status: comments would be appreciated :)

Sterling's Daughter

Chapter 9

It was Will's turn next. He rubbed his face as he leaned foward.
"Laya, truth or dare?"
She groaned.
"Why does every dare involve the two of us?" she sighed heavily. When he just smirked at her, she snapped out, "Dare."
"Dare it is then," he said. "I hear you've been wanting to ride a certain horse by the name of Tempo, but you haven't yet. Am I correct?"
"You are," she fixed him with a hard stare. But deep inside, a cold hand was working its way towards her heart.
"Then, Miss Sterling, I want you to ride him. It's only a little walk away."
Laya's heart sank. This was what she'd been fearing.
"I can't," she said bluntly. "He's not ready yet. My mum's still working on him. And besides, I prom..."
"A dare's a dare," Will cocked his head at her, and the others nodded.
Laya looked at Kirsty.
"I prom..." she tried again. "Kirsty?"
"He's right," her friend shrugged.
"Besides, you wouldn't want to give into him, would you?" Ty smirked a little.
That did it. Laya leapt to her feet, annoyed.
"Fine," she snapped. "He's in a paddock down the very back of our section at the moment, so it's probably a five minute walk from the house."
As the group of teenagers walked down the road, Laya felt like kicking herself. She was torn - she desperately wanted to show Will she wasn't scared of his horse - but she had promised Mum that she wouldn't ride Tempo until she had the permission. And she hadn't. So what was she doing here?
Catching Tempo was easier than expected.
"How long do I have to ride him for?" Laya asked. She glanced over her shoulder and back towards the house. A thick line of trees blocked any view her parents would have of the paddocks, which was a good thing. Her mum might never even know if she'd broken a rule.
"A lap each of a walk, trot, and a canter," Will said as he leaned against the top rail of the wooden fence to watch. "Bareback."
"Can I ask a question?" Laya asked.
"I believe you are," Will smirked, meeting her gaze.
Laya felt the strangest fluttering sensation in her heart and she hastily focused on retying Tempo's halter.
"Have you ever ridden a horse?" she blurted. As soon as it came out, she saw his smile drop. Duh, Laya! she shouted in her head. Of course he's ridden a horse! It was killed!
She swore. She didn't really mean to swear out loud, and every stared at her.
"Uh, oh I um...mean...don't worry. It doesn't matter," she mumbled.
Using the fence to help her get up onto Tempo's broad back, she was aware of everyone's eyes on her. Tempo shivered as Laya settled herself.
"Helmet," Kirsty held it out. "I know your mother. She'd blow your ears off if you ever rode without a helmet. I got it out of the shed when you got the halter. If you fell off and knocked yourself out, I'd be paying your mother back with my own life."
Laya rolled her eyes as she laughed, and pulled the helmet down over her head, and fastening the strap.
"Oh come on, my mum's not that unforgiv-" she broke off as a sudden gust of wind blew against the group of teenagers. It swept up underneath Melindy's light jacket, which happened to be unbuttoned. Laya could see it coming.
"Melindy, hold your jacket dow...!" she began to cry out, but it was too late.
Tempo spooked and whirled, and Laya made a wild grab for the mane as she was suddenly unbalanced. The sudden movement above him only freaked Tempo out more, and he spun towards the fence and made a lunge at clearing it.
"He won't make it!" Will shouted.
"I can't stop him!" Laya panicked, and the next thing she knew was that she was falling, falling, falling. She smacked on her back into the grassy ground, helmet grazing the fence post as she landed.
"Laya!" Kirsty screamed. Laya looked up, and saw the fence splintering as Tempo's huge form crashed into it. Directly above her. And then, as if life had been turned into slow motion, Tempo neighed helplessly as he fell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment!!!Feedback is needed and appreciated!!
THANKYOU for all the reads so far!!