Status: This is a work in progress, existing chapters may be edited and changed keep an eye out for updates!

Inside the Mind

Savior

BAITER APARTMENT:

“The unsub entered the apartment from the fire escape, due to a window being broken into, but no one in the building reports hearing anything last night. The ME report shows that time of death was somewhere around four in the morning.” Spencer said as he walked through the bloodied apartment.

“How can someone smash a window and not alert anyone in this building, there has to be a hundred people living here.” Morgan replied

“127, actually.” Spencer said as he looked closely at the broken window. “This window wasn't broken into; it was broken out. The glass shards have been scattered on the inside of the apartment, but the pane shows splintering on the inside.”

“So whoever did this knew these two.” Morgan stated moving towards the bloodstains that had formed around the floor.

“At least well enough that he was able to enter the apartment and subdue the two victims without causing any alarm.” Spencer replied. “He broke the window to cover his tracks.” His face shifted to a look of concern and suspicion as he looked back at Derek.

MEDICAL EXAMINER OFFICE/MORGUE:

“We know the slashes were caused but a very dull serrated object, he had to go over each wound several times before they were deep enough to cause the bleeding that we found at the scene.” The ME said as he pulled the cloth sheet back that was covering the second male victim.

He was a short balding man who may have been attractive ten years ago but his age and his profession had started to take its toll on his appearance.

“That kind of anger means this was personal,” JJ said looking over the body slowly.

“It would've taken hours, each wound would have to be almost two inches deep to cause that kind of blood loss.” Tara said as she turned to examine the female victim.

“There are twenty-three wounds total on each victim.” The ME replied. “Also, both victims showed signs of long-term drug abuse their livers are all but destroyed, I found large amounts of heroin in their systems.”

“Were they drugged before being tortured?” JJ asked.

“It's hard to tell since both victims were dead before the drugs metabolized but I'd wager it was how he kept them from screaming while he cut them.” The ME replied.

Tara and JJ looked at each with concern and disgust marring their faces.

POLICE STATION:

Leona moved the clear dry erase board forward before taping on the photos of the first two victims. She then did the same with the second victims’ photos. Prentiss came in behind her with the photos from each crime scene and put those up underneath the DMV photos. Rossi was talking quickly with Garcia on the phone in the center of the table, they had received information that the unsub may have known both sets of victims and the two were trying to narrow down any possible meeting points in their lives. Leona turned around just in time to meet Spencer face to face, he and Morgan had just returned from the crime scene. Spencer turned away quickly focusing his attention on the board, studying the images closely as if he wanted to avoid Leona all together.

“Garcia, the ME said that both victims showed signs of long term drug abuse can you check and see if they had ever attended a rehab program?” JJ's voice called out.

“That I can do,” Her voice replied from the speaker on the phone. “I'll call you back as soon as I have more details.”

A large man with a thick mustache appeared in the room, his name was detective Johnson, he had greeted the three at the police station upon their arrival. “Emma and Eric's families are here for the interviews.” He turned from the room JJ and Rossi turned to go with him.

“Lewis, Prentiss you two should head over to the nearest rehab center talk to anyone you can there, see if anyone has noticed anything odd with new attendants.” Morgan said.

The two nodded and left quickly.

STARKEY FAMILY INTERVIEW:

The couple sat together on the opposite side of the table, Rossi and JJ took seats next to each other.

“Mr. and Mrs. Starkey, we're so sorry for your loss.” JJ said as she moved her chair forward.

“We can't begin to understand what you're going through, but any information you can give us may help us catch the man who did this.” Rossi added.

“How had Emma been in the last few weeks?” JJ asked gently trying to get the couple to open up about their daughter.

“She was doing so well.” Mrs. Starkey replied dabbing at her eyes with a tissue.

“Emma had been sober for two years; she had a steady job and was working to help other addicts in their recovery.” Mr. Starkey added.

“Who would do something like this?!” Mrs. Starkey burst out, tears streaming down her cheeks.

HAWTHORNE REHABILITATION CENTER:

“Look Detectives if I could tell you anything I would but unfortunately-”

“It's Agents and we understand.” Prentiss interjected.

“We were hoping you could tell us if you had any new patients, someone who would've just showed up in the last four days.” Lewis added more gently.

The doctor stopped walking and turned to face the two women. “I wish I could help you, but I really can't say.”

“Alright, we'll come back with a subpoena.” Prentiss replied.

“Fine, fine. Look a guy showed up here three days ago. He checked in attended a group session and hasn't been back since. His name was Michael. He's not required to give a last name.” The doctor said flustered by the situation.

“Thank you.” Prentiss replied before the two women turned and left.

BAITER FAMILY INTERVIEW:

“Eric was a mess.”

“James!” The older woman said.

“It's the truth! He stole money, jewelry anything he could sell to get money for dope.” James added, he was a young man no older than nineteen, “I'm glad he's dead!”

“You don't mean that! He doesn't mean that,” The woman all but shrieked while turning to look at JJ and Rossi. “Eric was getting better, he got help. He... he was going to a rehab place, they got him a sponsor, he was going to get better.” The mother wept softly.

“Where did Eric go to rehab?” JJ asked gently.

“I... I don't remember the name.”

“Hawthorne Rehabilitation center.” James interjected.

PROFILE DELIVERY:

“We're looking for an older male, probably white and very sophisticated in nature.” Prentiss said as the room came to a standstill.

“He's going to be trustworthy but manic, someone our victims want to talk to. Given their past drug abuse he may even be a recovering addict, but it's possible he may be using again.” Lewis added to the profile.

“This unsub is methodical in his behavior, much like Edward Edwards, by capturing and killing two victims at once he's gaining power over them.” Spencer added.

“This guy loves the feeling of control; we believe this is why he drugs his victims he wants to have full control over them while he tortures them.” Rossi said.

“Is he going to kill here again?” A dark-skinned police officer asked.

“We believe the unsub may still be in the area, but not for much longer. He more than likely lives somewhere in the area.” Leona replied.

“This guy is in the system, he's going to do everything in his power to stay away from us, we have to move quickly if we're going to catch him before he finds his next victims.” Morgan added.

-----

Leona sat at the table reading over the files again, she could recite them by heart but staring at the pages helped her work the information around in her mind. The rest of the team was scattered about, Morgan had left the room as he called Garcia, Leona decided not to question their method of privacy knowing that they worked well as a team. She couldn't be sure where the other team members were but the silence in the room had started to take its toll and she could feel her eyes getting heavier by the second.

Spencer watched from outside the conference room, he was going over the profile in his mind and working through the files he had memorized earlier. He couldn't understand why the unsub took the left foot from his victims but he wanted to figure it out.

Morgan joined Reid outside the room and peered in through the glass.

“Why don't you take these,” He said placing two Styrofoam cups of coffee in his hands. “and give one to her.” He indicated to Leona.

“Oh uh... yeah... yeah.” Reid replied not moving.

“You have some really weird luck.” Morgan said nonchalantly.

Spencer looked at Morgan. “That's it,” He rushed into the conference room and placed both cups down on the table not too gently and went up to the board.

Leona stood quickly as hot coffee slopped onto the table. The rest of the team walked into the conference room after him and stared incredibly at Spencer.

“Some cultures have superstitions surrounding the left foot, more specifically bad luck. When someone's right foot itches they believe this means travel lies ahead but when the left foot itches it indicates bad luck. What if he's taking the left foot of each victim because he believes this will somehow protect him from bad luck?” The words flowed from Spencer almost automatically.

The conference phone rang, and Leona hit the answer call button.

“You're on speaker phone Garcia.” Prentiss said.

“So I've been doing some digging and by digging, I mean mounds of information do you people know how many Michael’s exist in the great state of Florida? I digress, I have found one Michael who matches your profile, he was sentenced eleven years ago to rehab by the courts he successfully completed his mandated term and has moved on to traveling through various cities sharing his success story of getting clean. Also get these two victims were found several years ago in Orlando where a Mr. Michael Davis lived just six months before he was arrested." Garcia talked very quickly, downloading the information to the team.

"Garcia, what was his last known address?" Prentiss asked.

"His last known address was in Falmouth; I'm sending the address to your phones now!”

“Great job baby girl.” Morgan said.

-----

Leona sat in the back of the giant SUV; the sound of the siren was drowned out by the drumming in her ears. The other SUV was directly behind them, followed by several sheriffs’ vehicles. Her FBI issued bullet proof vest hugged against her tightly. The last known address was some distance out of town, but they were headed there now.

"You're on Speaker phone." Morgan's voice rang from the radio in the SUV.

"I've been looking into Davis some more and this guy is sleazy with a capital Z. In 2004 he was arrested for battery against an ex-fiancé, he tried to saw off her left foot while on a drug induced rampage. He did two years in prison for the assault before heading over to sunny Orlando for the rehabilitation center. The fiancé at the time filed a police report that stated Davis shot her up with their drug of choice, heroin before tying her down and cutting at her foot with an old kitchen knife."

"Why the cooling off period?" Prentiss asked. "The first victims were in Orlando just after his prison sentence so what made him stop killing between then and now?"

"See that's were things go all crazy. Davis didn't have a job or any real address for six years. He spent most of his time staying in different rehab centers, but it seems he turned into a model citizen for a while no arrests or anything after the incident in 2004."

"What happened to the ex?" Leona asked leaning forward in her seat.

"Oh... she, she died last month, from a drug overdose." Garcia replied.

"There's our stressor." Rossi said simply.

"Davis probably went back to using drugs after learning about the ex, that's why he started killing again." Spencer's voice could be heard this time.

-----

It didn't take them long at the speed they were traveling. The SUV pulled up quickly on the side of the road, Rossi, JJ and Leona jumped out of the vehicle, the second SUV pulled up and they were joined by Spencer, Prentiss Morgan and Lewis. The agents pulled their weapons and fanned out. Leona followed Morgan to the front door and stepped back to flank him as he kicked in the door. The two agents split, and each took a different path through the open floor plan of the home. She checked everywhere someone could hide before calling the all clear. She heard a thump from the below her and rushed forward. She followed the sounds and came across a doorway, she turned the handle quickly and was met by a set of stairs, she followed them, and they took her down into a dark damp smelling room. Suddenly she felt a hard object slam into the back of her head, and she fell to the ground, her eyesight blurred, and her ears rang.

“Leona!” She could hear someone calling her name, but it was muffled.

She tried to call out, but her head screamed in protest. She could make out the dark shape of someone moving around her, but her eyes wouldn't focus.

Spencer ran down the steps, he had followed her trying to make sure no one got hurt. He was met with a horrid scene, Leona was lying on a dirt floor and the man they were after was circling around her with a large make shift knife, made of duct tape, glass and a wooden handle.

“Michael, I need you to put the knife down.” Spencer said gently.

“No no no no." Michael's voice was panicked. He was pacing back and forth around the room.

“There's nowhere for you to go. The FBI is all over your house, you can't make it out of here.” Spencer replied aiming his gun directly at the other man.

Morgan inched his way down the steps he wanted to flank out beside Reid, try to take a new angle on the suspect. JJ was right behind him and he knew without having to say anything that she would take the opposite side. They moved slowly and were able to surround Michael.

“Bad luck! Bad luck!" He screamed before lunging forward.

It all happened so quickly Reid didn't even give it a second thought. Michael made to grab for Leona, and he fired. The gunshot echoed in the small space and his ears rang. The man hit the floor as blood began to pool onto his shirt from his chest. It didn't take long before he stopped breathing, JJ rushed forward and felt for a pulse but shook her head. Spencer went to Leona and lifted her gingerly into a sitting position. Morgan took hold of her other side and they lifted her up carrying her away from the now dead man.

-----

Spencer set the cup down gently on the table in front of her. “I think I owe you this.” He said.

The cup steamed over the top and she smiled gingerly up at him, touching the spot on her head that continued to throb.

“I've been shot three times,” He added matter of fact.

“Good to know this is just the first of many injuries,” She replied laughing softly before wincing once again.

“You get used to it.” Rossi said as he sat down opposite Leona.

“Don't worry Leona, you're not really a member of the team until you've been seriously injured.” Prentiss interjected as she scooted into the seat next to Rossi.

“Or maimed.” JJ added.

Spencer's face fell slightly as the team began to surround the two youngest members of the team. Morgan nudged him slightly forcing him to smile before taking the seat directly next to Leona. They all talked, retelling stories of previous injuries and showing different battle scars. Leona couldn't help but notice the attention Spencer paid to her during the flight home, and if she wasn't already dizzy from her injury, she was sure her head would be spinning.
♠ ♠ ♠
“There are memories that time does not erase... Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable.” - Cassandra Clare