Take Me to Church

Chapter Three

Upon arriving at the hospital, I sat in the car for a few minutes before I could bring myself to go inside. I was so worried about all the things they might tell me once I go through those doors.

Hearing someone tapping on my window, my body jumped. Looking over, I saw Opie standing there looking at me through the window. I was quick to wipe my eyes before climbing out of the car. "What are you still doing out here? I figured you'd be inside already." He stated, taking a hit from the cigarette in-between his fingers.

"I'm so scared Ope. I feel so lost, what am I supposed to do, how am I supposed to react to the fact that my husband might be dying in there?" My voice wavered, and my hands shook as I spoke. Opie was quick to wrap his arms around me in a comforting way. "I don't think I can go in there." I added as we stood there.

"Come on Kaela, he needs you in there. You're not alone through this, we're all here for you. There's nothing to worry about, Chibs is going to be just fine, no come on let's go inside." He spoke softly as he began leading me towards the doors. We paused ever so slightly in front of them though. I stood in silence for a moment before nodding my head and deciding that he was right- I had to go in there.

I couldn't bring myself to talk to the nurses though. So, Opie did it for me. That only lead us to a waiting room down the hall from the room they have him in. It was too soon, they didn't have anything that they could tell me about my husband.

I sat down in a chair in the corner of the room, and put my feet in the chair next to me. My legs laying over the arm rests of the chairs. Opie came over and sat behind me, allowing me to lean my head back against his shoulder. It was nice; but I knew that he was going to have to get back to the club soon, and I don't want to be left alone here.

Thankfully, not too long after that Gemma came rushing around the corner with one of my go bags in her hand. I guess she had found the spare key to our house. She put the bag down in the chair where my feet were resting; before motioning me to her. I was hesitant to stand up, but as soon as I did she pulled me into her arms just as she had done while we were at the club.

Upon pulling away, she ran her hands over my long, red hair; and I allowed more tears to fall from my eyes.

"Have you heard anything?" Gemma asked, looking between Opie and I. "Not yet, nurse at the station told us we couldn't see him yet and stuck us in here." I explained, shaking my head ever so slightly. So, Gemma turned her full attention to Opie.

"Why don't you go back to the club, they're going to need you; I'll stay here with Kaela." Gemma ordered the large, bearded man. Opie simply nodded before doing as he had been told, and left to go back to the club. Once he was gone, Gemma and I sat down and did our best to get comfortable. I actually started to doze off leaning on Gemma's shoulder I was so tired.

We had been sitting there for about two hours before Tara came walking out to the waiting room. As soon as I saw her, I jumped up out of my chair to talk to her. My sudden movements also seemed to wake Gemma up. When she saw Tara, she had the same reaction of jumping up as I had previously done.

"We're waiting for his test results; but from what I can tell he's going to be completely fine. He's still asleep but you can go see him if you'd like. He can't have any visitors tonight, just you until visiting hours in the morning." She flashed me a sympathetic smile. I nodded my head before thinking over what she had told me. Gemma was still half asleep where she was standing next to me, and I knew that Tara had to be getting to that point as well. "Why don't you go home and get some rest, both of you. Come back in the morning with everyone else." I suggested to the two women.

"What about you, baby? Do you really want to be sitting here alone?" Gemma asked, a small yawn following her words. "I won't be, I'm going to go back and see Chibs. Sit with him. I'll be fine. So go home and get some rest." I ordered as I picked up the bag of clothes she had brought me. Reaching out, Gemma gave my hand a small squeeze before leaving with Tara.

I, on the otherhand, took a shaky breath before making my way down the hallway to the room that my husband was in. Once more, I began hesitating; but my mind wondered back to what Opie had said to me earlier. That's what made me keep walking.

The hallways seemed to go on forever, and once I was in the doorway I saw something that made me want to break down and cry.

There he was, my husband, laying in the hospital bed with his eyes closed and white bandages wrapped around his head. He was all hooked up to all kinds of machines that were helping him breathe. Once more, tears welled up in my eyes as I walked closer to him. In the process, I dropped the bag in the floor, and pulled the recliner up to the side of the bed.

A slight anger began to fill up inside me as I noticed the dried blood and all the small cuts hat littered his face. Isn't part of a nurses job to clean and dress a patient's wounds?

It was becoming obvious to me that a majority of people around here didn't know how to do their jobs, or at the very least didn't care enough to take their jobs seriously. That's how I knew that Chibs was definitely going to need someone to help take care of him- especially with all the stuff happening at the club recently.

I had been so worried about him, and this doesn't help.

Slowly, I brought my hand up to grab his own that was laying still and motionless on the bed. It wasn't the most comfortable position, but that's how I fell asleep.

I slept through the rest of the night and a majority of the morning in that position. Of course, I did slightly wake up any time a nurse came in to check on Chibs; but quickly fell back to sleep after they left the room.

I was just ready for my husband to wake up safe and sound so we could go home together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we go guys :)