Take Me to Church

Chapter Thirty-Six

Things were even more hectic the next morning.

Jax was still at the hospital with Tara, refusing to leave her side. Clay didn't dare come back last night, so he must've slept at the club. Chibs and I stayed with Gemma to be sure that she was alright.

When I woke up this morning, I made the three of us breakfast. Chibs would have to leave soon to handle club business, so I made sure to keep it simple. I planned on skipping everything to do with the club and spend the day with Gemma. Part of me felt like this was my fault- if I would have come inside with her yesterday, I could've stopped Clay. Or I could have at least tried to stop him.

"Staying with Gemma again today, love?" Chibs questioned, pulling his cut over his shoulders as he spoke. "Yeah,, I just don't feel right leaving her, you know?" I said with a sigh. My hands were down in the sink, hidden by the soapy water as I washed the dishes. "I understand, love. Call if you need anything, alright?" He ordered.

Pulling my hands out of the water, I grabbed a towel and wiped the water and bubbles away from my skin. Reaching over I smoothed over the front of his shirt as I looked up into his eyes. "I will, but you be careful out there. You know how much I worry about you." I whispered. I really was worried about him with everything that's been going on recently. "You know I'm always careful." He chuckled ever so slightly as he looked down at me. He gave me a few small kisses before finally leaving to go meet up with the rest of the guys.

As soon as Chibs was gone, Gemma came around the corner and into the kitchen. "Come with me, we have some errands to run." She spoke simply. I hadn't known she was even out of bed yet. "Oh, uhh, okay." I mumbled, throwing the dish cloth down on the counter.

Once more, I found myself in her car.

This time, our destination ended up being Jax's house. "What are we doing here?" I asked as I climbed out of the car. I became even more confused when I saw Chucky standing in the doorway. I became even more confused. "We have some business to take care of." Was all she said before walking into the house. "What business?" I didn't realize I had said it loud enough for her to hear until her head whipped around and she looked at me.

"Wendy's coming over. I told her that she could see Abel, but I want to talk to her about some things. Tell her that Abel's back in the bedroom whenever she gets here." She ordered before walking away. What am I, the maid now?

Turning to look at Chucky, I let out a slightly annoyed sigh. "I don't even want to know what kind of hell is about to be unleashed in there." Rolling my eyes, and crossing my arms. I moved to sit down on the couch. I hadn't even known that Wendy was back in town; how had Gemma found out? Chucky had disappeared into the kitchen on the note of saying that he would be fixing lunch for us.

I was flipping through the channels when I heard someone knocking on the door. At first, I thought it was coming from the TV, until I saw Chucky walk into the room with Wendy in tow behind him.

"You're the guy who called, right?" She asked, not even noticing me sitting there on the couch. "Yes, Chucky. I'm the helper." He smiled, offering his hand out towards her. She was definitely hesitant to shake his hand- not that I could say I blame her. "Helper?" She sounded confused as she looked around, her eyes finally finding me sitting there. "He's helping me. Abel's back there in his room, nap time." I said with a stern voice as I rose to my feet. "Oh! Kaela....I wasn't expecting to see you here. I thought you'd be with the boys." She was shocked to say the least. Her eyes landed on my cut briefly before moving to walk down the hall in search of Abel.

But I knew that wasn't what she was going to find. "Shit." I heard her curse upon finding Gemma.

I couldn't help the smirk that appeared on my face as I followed Chucky into the kitchen and sat down on the table. He had whipped up a small lunch of spaghetti, and my god it looked delicious. I didn't hesitate to start digging into the food once it was sat down on the table in front of me.

As I ate, I could hear the TV from the living room; but my mind was too focused on something else. I wanted nothing to do with whatever drama was about to unfold in Abel's room. Even thought, just by being here I was already in the middle of it.

By time Wendy and Gemma had finished their little chat, I was once more sitting on the couch flipping through the TV channels.

When Wendy left, she didn't seem at all happy with whatever happened in the back room. My guess was that Gemma had tried manipulating her into doing something. That's what Gemma was best at- no matter what. But I really didn't want to know. Gemma came waltzing into the living room with a rather smug look on her face. It definitely seemed like she had gotten her way.

"Come on baby, I'll give you a ride home." She seemed nice to me, compared to the way she treats everyone else. Maybe it's because I never once tried to go after her son, like everyone else did. "Actually, can you take me to the club? I'll just wait for Filip there so we can go home together." I made my simple request. She looked me over for a few moments before nodding her head. "Alright, let's go. You too Chucky." She ordered us as she was heading out the door.

Back in Gemma's car, I sat in silence as she drove us all to the club and dropped the two of us off before leaving.

Spotting the long line of bikes parked out in the lot, I was quick to make my way into the club house in search of my husband. I found him in our apartment, passed out in the center of our bed. The sun was still just barely clinging on to the sky. I knew he must've been exhausted, he hasn't been sleeping too well recently.

Not wanting to disturb him too much, I stripped out of my clothes before climbing into the bed with him. Almost as soon as I was under the blankets, Chibs reached out and wrapped his arms around me tightly. I absolutely loved the feeling of being wrapped in his arms, and laying pressed up against his body. I couldn't help but be engulfed in awe as I looked up at his sleeping face.

His long hair was no longer pushed back, but was now falling down around his face. The scars on his cheeks were more prominent than ever. When he slept was the only time you could ever really see his age on his face.

Closing my eyes, I snuggled closer to his body. Warmth radiated off of him, as his hand slowly moved down the length of my arm before wrapping further around me and his hand came to land on my stomach. I noticed Dyna laying over in her dog bed in the corner- she had grown so much since we first found her. I felt back that because of the club, we never really had that much time to spend with her. Maybe she'd be better off with a different family. No. I couldn't even bare the thought of that.

Unable to will myself to sleep, I did my best not to wake Chibs up as I moved around trying to make myself comfortable. Something in my gut just didn't feel right. I felt like something bad was about to happen.

My gut feeling was confirmed when I heard a loud gun shot coming from the mostly empty lot outside. My body jumped, causing Chibs to stir lightly in his sleep. "Filip, Filip, you need to wake up. Something's happened." I spoke, shaking his shoulder violently in order to wake him up.

"What the hell are you waking me up for, lass?" He groaned, slowly moving to sit up in the bed. "Something's going on outside, I heard gunshots." I'm not sure why, but for some reason I was whispering. My words definitely woke him up it seemed. His eyes shot open, and he climbed out of the bed and began pulling on clothes. "Stay here, I'll go see what's going on. I'll be right back." Stuffing his feet down into his boots, he walked away. It was then that I heard sirens coming our way.

Worry continued to rush through me, the longer it took for Chibs to return, the more worried I became. Climbing out of the bed, I pulled my jeans back onto my body before stuffing my feet down into a pair of boots. I also haphazardly grabbed my gun, and tucked it down into the waist band of my jeans before running outside.

Outside, the lot was crowded with police officers, and I spotted Clay being loaded up into an ambulance. I also noticed Unser standing with Roosevelt a few feet away, most likely giving a statement. Chibs was sitting on top of the picnic table that was just outside of the door, smoking a cigarette and shaking his head. Walking up behind him, I put my hands on his shoulders and squeezed lightly. "You never came back. What's going on?" I asked him softly.

"Someone came into the compound, shot Clay." He didn't sound as upset as I was expecting, "Holy shit." I gasped out. Part of me suddenly felt violated that some random person had come onto the lot and done this. Even though Clay had fucked up recently, it still terrible that this had happened to him. When Roosevelt finished speaking with Unser, he came walking over to where we were.

"So you two have been here all night, that correct?" Roosevelt immediately jumped into his questioning, looking at us suspiciously. Seeing his look, Chibs moved to put his arm around me protectively, and pulled me into him. "Yes, but we've been in bed since about six o'clock." I nodded my head, having no idea what time it was now. Roosevelt's eyes flashed over me, as if trying to figure me out.

"And you never heard or saw anything?" He raised his eyebrows as he asked his question. "We were sleeping, so we didn't see anything." Chibs scoffed, and I knew he was rolling his eyes without even having to look at him. "I heard the gun shots, it's what woke me up. I got pretty worried since it sounded so close, and so I woke up Chibs. Then when we came out here, the lot was swarmed with police, and now we're answering your questions." My almost sarcastic tone matched the one that my husband's voice held.

Seeming to give up, Roosevelt walked away, and we were free to go to the hospital in order to check on Clay. Tig and Happy had beat us there.

Happy had a blank look on his face. Whereas Tig looked grief stricken. It was as if he were blaming himself for this. Tig was always by Clay's side no matter what. Yet, the one night Tig left Clay by himself, this had happened. Sitting in the waiting room just waiting for something to happen next was driving me insane.

Even Gemma showed up; but she left almost as soon as she showed up.

They had rushed Clay back into surgery, so all we could really do was wait for some kind of news.

"It's going to be a while before they tell us anything. Why don't we all go get some rest. We have a big meet in the morning." I reminded the boys in a sharp tone, hoping it would get the point across.