Take Me to Church

Chapter Forty-Three

I got to the hospital within minutes. Happy, Phil, Juice, and Chucky all accompanied me, but I left them behind in the waiting room.

They had pumped Gemma with so many drugs that she wasn't going to wake up until morning. Abel had to have a procedure done in order to once more regulate his heart beat, along with needing a few stitches a top of his head. Thomas was fine- a little shaken up and screaming, but didn't even had a scratch on him. I cradled the young boy in my arms until Jax and Tara were able to arrive at the hospital from the cabin.

I immediately told them everything that I knew, everything that the doctors had told me in their absence. Once they were caught up, I passed Thomas over to Tara before making my way out to the waiting room with everyone else. Where Chibs had to all but hold me up. My side was beginning to once more throb in pain. "Everyone's going to be fine, they're just a little banged up." I breathed out. They all seemed glad and relieved to hear the news. "What about you guys?" Phil asked, looking towards my husband.

"We know who the shooter is?" Happy asked. His words made me forget my pain, as my head whipped around to look at Chibs. My eyes narrowed down into a glare. "Woah, a shooter? What the hell happened tonight." I hissed.

"Jax is gonna bring everybody up to speed, just stay available." Bobby's words did not temper my rage. My narrowed eyes twitched ever so slightly, and the face I made told him that we would definitely be discussing this later. He simply nodded, before we moved to sit down in the chairs against the wall. In doing so, he placed his hand on my knee as I leaned against his shoulder and attempted to get comfortable.

Upon noticing that I was gripping my wound, Tig was rather quick to offer me something for my discomfort. Oxycontin by the look of it, and a small cup of water along with it. I quickly downed both. It was only a matter of minutes before the pain began to subside, and I was able to fall asleep leaning against my husband's shoulder.

When I woke up, I was laying on a bed, and there was a flat pillow under my head.

People were talking around me, but I couldn't get my eyes to open in order to see who it was. I was still so tired, and sleep was just so comforting.

"Clay lied for me. He told Jax I was run off of the road, but that's not what happened. I was high driving those kids, I thought I'd be okay. I drive high all the time, I just didn't want to miss my chance." It was Gemma speaking now, her voice ringing clear through out the room. She sounded so disappointed, so sad.

I found myself drifting back into the comforting darkness of sleep. Sounds around me once more became muffled, and my body was very much relaxed.

When I finally opened my eyes, I squinted due to how bright the lights above me were. I was no longer laying on a bed. Instead, I noticed I was laying on the couch in Abel's room. Gemma was across the room, sitting in a rocking chair holding Thomas against her. Abel was fast asleep in the hospital bed, and Tara was pacing. Upon seeing me awake, She came over and crouched down in front of me. "How are you feeling?" Her voice was soft as she questioned me.

"Better. I need to tell you something." I whispered as I made a slow move to sit up on the couch. She looked confused by my words. I cleared my throat. "What's going on?" She questioned, moving to sit next to me instead of crouched in front of me. My eyes flashed over to Gemma briefly before I reached out and put my hand softly over top of her own. "Maybe we should wait for Jax to get back, but I think someone's lying about something." I whispered.

Almost as soon as the words left my lips, Jax walked into the room looking absolutely pissed. He already knew what I was going to tell Tara, and this was not going to end well.

"What's going on?" Tara asked, looking between Jax and myself. Jax had a scowl on his face as he walked over to Gemma and very quickly took his son out of her arms. "I got some new information. You wanna tell her, or should I?" He questioned Gemma, holding Thomas close to him.

Gemma suddenly looked very nervous. "I just love him so much, baby." Reaching out, she tried to place her hand on Thomas back, but Jax pulled away before she could. "What happened?" Tara asked once more, rising to her feet. I leaned back against the couch, hoping that if I focused hard enough I could disappear into the fabric and not have to be here for this. It was a long time coming, and there was no telling what was really about to happen.

"No one tried to run me off the road. When you called last night, I was getting high with Unser- thought I'd be okay to drive. I just didn't want to miss my chance with the boys." The more Gemma spoke, the more Tara's face changed. She looked a mix of terrified and enraged. Not that I could really blame her. By time it was over, Tara stepped forward, and sent her hand flying across Gema's face.

"You're gone. You don't call, see, or come near my kids again. Get out!" Tara screamed, causing Thomas to start crying against his father's chest. When Gemma turned around, I saw that her lip was bleeding as a result from Tara's smack. Only once Gemma was gone, did Tara turn to Jax and allow her tears to fall. A few minutes were passed like that, before Bobby came barrelling into the room. "We gotta go brother." He sighed.

Shaking his head, Jax handed Thomas over to Tara before looking towards me. "You need a lift back to the club?" He asked; but I knew I wouldn't be able to stay steady on a bike right now. "No, thanks. I'll stay with Tara and the boys. Let Chibs know, will you?" I hummed.

Jax hesitated before nodding his head and leaving with Bobby. I moved from where I was sat on the couch to stand next to the bed. "Why don't you take Thomas home for the night? I"ll stay here with Abel so he's not alone." I suggested, feeling slightly responsible for his admittance here in the hospital. Reaching down, I ran my hand over the young boy's forehead. I should have realized that something was up with Gemma, I shouldn't have let her driven off the lot with those boys.

"Oh, you don't have to do that, we can stay here." Tara tried waving me off, but I wasn't having that. "Thomas doesn't need to be here, he could get sick. It can easily be avoided, so take him home. I'll let you know if anything changes here." I spoke in a stern voice, knowing she wouldn't be able to say no to me.

So, she hung out until it was time for Thomas to go to bed. She kissed Abel before gathering the baby boy and his things before heading out the door. Heading home.

Kicking my shoes off, I sat back down on the couch with my legs up under me. I couldn't bring myself to look away from Abel. I was so glad that he was okay, but I was scared shitless that something else horrible was going to happen to him. This was my fault, and now I was going to do everything in my power to protect that little boy. Once he wakes up, he should be his normal, happy, and active self.

Absentmindedly, my hand came down and rested over my stomach as I made myself comfortable laying on the couch. That's where I fell asleep. Fell asleep watching the young boy, and listening to the steady beat of his heart monitor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long!