Status: This version of TARA has been discontinued and will not be finished.

The Adventures of Rin and Aya

Chapter 4

“Thank goodness it’s Friday!” The two girls pushed their way through the front doors of the school along with the other two hundred students wanting to get out to the buses and go home. Rin closed her eyes and took a deep breath of fresh air.

“Smells like a perfect night to go camping doesn’t it?” A boy walking down the sidewalk caught her eyes when she opened them. She elbowed Aya in the side. “Suspect is heading North on Broadway.” Aya’s head snapped to where Rin was looking and her eyes narrowed.

“Oh there is no way that he tells me to meet him by his locker and then he goes and ditches me! He is so going to die,” She said before taking off and running through the buses and across the parking lot. Aya had now turned into a cheetah that had locked it’s eyes on an innocent baby gazelle. “Die jerk!” She screamed as she jumped up onto his back and wrapped her arms around his neck.

The boy let out a shriek of surprise as he face planted it right into the grass along the sidewalk. Aya stood up and glared down at the boy. Still slightly in shock the boy rolled over onto his back and slowly sat up, spitting pieces of grass and dirt from his mouth. “Aya, what is wrong with you?” He asked when he saw the girl standing above him.

“What happened to ‘meet me at my locker’ huh Chaz?” Charles scrunched his nose a few times before sticking a finger up his left nostril and pulling out a rather long piece of grass. He flicked it away as he casually stood up and fixed his messy brown hair.

“I’m sorry Aya. I forgot.”

“Uh huh, I bet you did. But about this weekend…” Charles rubbed the back of his head and avoided Aya’s gaze.

“Yeah, about that…I can’t come with you guys. I really wanted to and everything but I kind of already made plans.” Aya’s eyes grew large and her lower jaw hung down in disbelief. She stuttered, trying to say something but nothing would come out. “Uh, I’m gonna go now other wise I’ll be late for work. See ya Aya.” He said as he waved goodbye and headed down the sidewalk.

Rin jogged up to Aya, who was standing there, mouth wide open and staring after Charles. “He’s already made other plans,” She finally said. Rin frowned.

“Oh well I guess. But hey, we can still have fun! Just the two of us!” Aya sighed, still a little down that their friend, whom they haven’t had any decent time with recently, was ditching them probably so he could hang out with the drama club students. But not wanting to bring Rin down into a foul mood too, Aya smiled and nodded.

“Of course! Now let’s head home. We have a lot of packing and planning to do.”

---

As quietly as possible Rin tip toed up the stairs carrying her dark purple sleeping bag and her parents mini DVD player. Also in her hands were a variety of different movies such as When a Stranger Calls, The Secret Window, Without a Paddle, and Finding Nemo. When she was at the top of the stairs she made her way to her room, mentally thanking her parents for getting carpet when she dropped one of the movies.

Rin gently closed the door to her room before jumping over to her window and opening it with some difficulty. She tossed the sleeping bag down first and it landed with a soft thud on the hard ground. Then she took her school bag and emptied it of its contents before putting the player and movies in it. After throwing it over her shoulders she gracefully moved out of her window and scaled her way down to the ground.

Picking her sleeping bag up, she held it tightly in her arms as she started to run towards the back of her house. After passing through her yard and then two other yards of her neighbors she came to the edge of a dark woods. Aya was standing there, leaning against a tree and waiting for her friend to show up. When she saw Rin she picked up her own sleeping bag.

“Finally! I thought you were gonna be a no show,” She said with a harsh whisper. Rin smiled cheerfully.

“A herd of stampeding blue footed boobies couldn’t stop me from camping out in this dark, eerie, and probably dangerous woods with my best friend!” Rin jerked her head towards the woods. “Now let’s go find a good spot to camp.”

“I was scouting around in it before you came,” Aya said. “And I think I found a good spot.” She led her friend down a small path that she had found until they came to a small clearing completely surrounded by berry bushes.

“This is…awesome!” Rin said with a grunt as she tugged on her sleeping bag, which had gotten snagged in one of the bushes as she walked through them. She sighed happily when she got it free.

“I know!” Aya uncurled her sleeping bag and laid it down on the ground next to Rin’s. Just as Aya was about to grab her own back pack that she had brought, she stopped short as she heard giggling next to her. She looked over at Rin.

The blue haired girl had her feet up in the air and she pulled on a pair of knee high socks. When they were on the girl happily stared at her feet as she wiggled her toes. Rin looked at Aya as if she had felt her friends gaze. “Toe socks Aya! Toe socks!” She said sounding like a complete idiot.

“You do know that you look awfully weird wearing shorts and knee high socks right?” Rin’s smile faded and she started pouting slightly. Aya rolled her eyes. “Alright fine, they are amazing socks. Happy?”

“Yay!” Rin went back to wiggling her toes. “So, what movie are we going to watch first?” Again she looked over at Aya but off in the distance something caught her eyes. “Aya, what’s that?” She asked, pointing just behind Aya.

Aya continued to look at the DVD’s that Rin brought, shuffling them in her hands and biting the inside of her lip trying to decide on which one to watch. “What? Those tall, brown things? Those are called t-r-e-e-s.”

“No!” Rin screeched. “That! That big dark thing back there in the woods.” The pink haired girl turned around and squinted into the darkness.

“It…it looks like…a house? What the heck?”

“Let’s go check it out!” Aya nodded and grabbed her back pack and Rin copied her, throwing hers onto her back and pulling out a flash light. She handed it to Aya as she led the way over to the old house.

After trudging through all the leaves, sticks, bushes, and vines on the ground, they came to stand in front of a small cabin. It was old, REALLY old. The front door was completely gone and the wood had turned a dark gray color most likely from termites and rain. Aya pointed the flashlight through the doorway and after making sure it was safe she walked inside, Rin following close behind her.

“Aya, this is kind of freaking me out now. It’s all so old and abandoned. What if a homeless guy named Boris lives here?!” Aya turned around and looked at Rin like she was crazy before shaking her head in utter disbelief at her friends imagination.

Sqee-eee-eee-eek!

Both girls jumped up with a shriek and clung onto each other protectively. A door just a few feet ahead of them had opened. Aya, being the brave girl that she is, look the flash light she was holding and used it to push the door all the way open. Still holding onto each other, the girls tip toed and peaked around the door frame.

Inside was just a plain, old room that smelled of dust. It appeared to have been a bedroom for there was a yellow, stained mattress lying on the floor and a dresser on the far side of the room. “Hey! Maybe we can find out who lived here,” Rin said releasing Aya and strutting over to the small dresser. Without a second thought she opened up one of the drawers and started shuffling through the contents even though there wasn’t much in there. The most she found were blank pieces of paper or a sock that had gotten left behind by the previous owner.

Aya, on the other hand, stepped into the room cautiously, looking around and taking in her surroundings. There was nothing too unique about this room. She walked over to a door next to the dresser, and she figured that it led to a closet or maybe even a bathroom. Grabbing the knob Aya pulled the door open but she was met with an intensely bright light and she had to hold up one of her hands to shield her face.

She cursed, putting her hand into the closet to try and find a light switch, not realizing that there wasn’t any electricity. All she knew was that she didn’t want to go blind by looking at the light.

“Stop shining that flash light over here Aya! It hurts my eyes,” Rin complained.

“It’s not me. It’s this light in the closet!” Now frustrated as ever by her watering eyes and Rin’s complaining she took a step forward thinking she was going to walk into the closet, but a scream erupted from her throat when she started falling.

Rin spun around to face her friend when she heard her scream but Aya was no where to be seen. The blue haired girl cautiously walked towards the closet, her heart pounding with adrenaline. What if something bad had happened to Aya? Rin’s mind started getting creative as she imagined someone, who looked a lot like Freddy Krueger, coming up from behind her and then…BAM!

She shook her head trying to get those images out of her mind. As she moved closer to the door she squinted as her eyes started to water. It felt like she had looked up at the sun when she stood in front of the door. “Aya?” She called. Suddenly, a hand shot out from the closet and grabbed her ankle. With a swift pull Rin stumbled forward and found herself falling, surrounded by the bright light that stung her eyes.