Status: This version of TARA has been discontinued and will not be finished.

The Adventures of Rin and Aya

Chapter 5

THUD!

Rin landed on the hard ground and dust rose up around her. She coughed as she sat up on her hands and knees, trying to regain her bearings and she slowly raised her head. All she could see was darkness. Fear started taking over her mind at the thought of Freddy Krueger actually coming after her, and she started hyperventilating. “Oh no. What am I going to do?” She asked herself. “I can’t see a thing! Everything is so dark but…but what if I’m blind?!”

She jumped up from the ground with her arms out to her sides. “I gotta get out of here!” Rin ran to her right but she smacked right into a wall. Any other day she would have been happy to get to know the wall better but today was not that day. With a loud shriek she turned and ran to her left only managing to trip over something soft and warm laying on the ground.

“Hey!” The thing yelled.

Rin curled up into a round, little ball on the floor she had fallen on and tears were threatening to fall from her now-blind eyes. “Please don’t kill Mr. Krueger! I’m too young to die,” She whimpered.

“Mr. Krueger? Rin, it’s me Aya.” Rin quickly sat up and shot her arms out in front of her, searching for her best friend.

“Aya help me! I’ve gone blind!” She continued to wave her arms around wildly, but she couldn’t seem to come in contact with Aya for even a second.

“Well if you want to see then maybe you should start with OPENING YOUR EYES!” Aya yelled from Rin’s left side. Rin’s eyes snapped open and a smile soon made it’s way on to her face.

“I can see. It’s a miracle!” She looked around at her surroundings. There was a small dresser resting against the wall on her right side and to her left sat an old bed. She was back in the cabin. The only difference was that there was moss and vines growing on everything and light was shining through a small window on the back wall. “Aya what’s going on?” She asked her friend.

Aya shook her head. She wasn’t even sure what had happened after she fell into the closet. “I don’t know Rin.” She waved to her friend, motioning for her to follow. “Maybe we just…fell and hit our heads and now it’s morning.”

“Yeah, that sound logical,” Rin said with a smile. She followed after Aya as they made their way out of the bedroom, down the hallway, and out the front door. They both froze when they looked at their surroundings.

“I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore Toto,” Aya said as she looked up towards the sky. There were still trees like in the woods behind their houses, but the trees they were looking at were not the same kind. They were as tall as sky scrapers and their trunks were wider than both of their houses combined. The branches curved around each other wildly, forming knots in some places and spirals in others, and a multitude of vines hung down from them.

“Are we in Narnia?” Rin asked with a goofy smile on her face as she looked up at the marvelous trees.

“Okay first off, Narnia sounds more like an STD than a place. And second, no we are not in Narnia!”

“Well we’re sure not back home. I mean yeah it was dark Aya, but not THAT dark that we wouldn’t have noticed those,” Rin said as she pointed to one of the huge trees.

“Fine,” Aya grumbled. “Let’s just find a way out of here so we can go home.” She picked up her back pack, which she had managed to hold on to, and threw it over her shoulder. Rin did the same after she realized that she too had brought hers along. The two girls set out into the wild forest before them.

---

“Aya I’m so tired. Let’s stop and rest for a few minutes.” Rin dropped her back pack down on the ground before leaning against one the huge tree trunks and supporting herself by putting her hands on her knees. It seemed like they had been walking for hours but everything looked the same and there seemed to be no end to the unusual forest they were in.

“But we have to get home!” Aya shouted. “Come on, we have to be getting close.”

“You know what I think? I think we’re dreaming,” Rin said. “Whether this is your dream or my dream, I don’t know. We might even be having the same dream, but that’s all this is…a dream! So I say that we stop right here and go to sleep. Then we can wake up and we’ll be back home.”

“Oh really? Well you want to know what I think? I think that--” Aya was cut off as something flew past her face with a sharp hissing noise as it cut through the air with great speed before hitting the trunk of the tree. The two girls looked with wide eyes at the thing embedded into the wood. It was an arrow. In unison they looked behind them after hearing a shout from off in the distance.

“Rin, I don’t think this is a dream.” Aya said to her friend. The blue haired girl stood up and inched her way closer to her friend.

“I think your right. What should we do?” Rin clutched her back pack in her hands tightly, unconsciously taking her stress out on her bag. Aya watched in the direction from where the shout had come from.

“I think that we should…” She could see some bushes moving violently no more than 100 yards away and another yell caught her ear. “RUN!” Aya screamed as another arrow hissed by her head.

The two girls turned and ran as fast as they could. They had no clue where they were going or who was after them but their legs continued to move them forward with more speed than either girl thought they could have had. One after the other they dived under fallen tree braches, jumped over boulders, and dodged the weapons that were being thrown, hurled, and flung at them.

After sprinting between two trees that just barely allowed them both to pass through side-by-side, they saw that there was another large tree right in front of them and blocking their path. Aya heaved a heavy sigh of frustration and made a quick turn to her right, screaming when a throwing knife barely missed her leg. All of a sudden the frenzied shower of pointy objects stopped.

Aya quickly scanned her surrounding and even the tree tops above for their attackers. She saw no sign of anyone. “Rin!” She croaked, out of breath. Her lungs felt like they were on fire. “I think we lost them.” No reply came. Aya looked to her left, them her right but she couldn’t see her best friend. “Rin?!” She called with a slightly frantic voice as she looked behind her, hoping to see the blue haired girl. She wasn’t there.

Fear started to rush in at the thought of Rin being taken down by one of the arrows that where being shot at them. ‘No,’ Aya thought. ‘She just fell behind a little that’s all.’ As she ran she kept looking behind her, slowing down slightly, in hopes that Rin would be able to catch up.

WHAM!

Aya felt like she had just run into a tree as she was thrown to the ground by some unseen force. She stared up at the tree branches blocking out the bright rays of sunshine and blinked her eyes a few times to clear her blurry vision. After a few seconds she slowly sat up, holding her head in one of her hands due to her spinning surroundings.

As everything started to go still once again the first thing she saw was a dirty pair of boots standing in front of her. Her eyebrows furrowed at the thought of a pair of boots, sitting randomly in the middle of a huge forest, taking her down like they did. But when her eyes wandered up just a few inches she saw pants as well…and then it clicked in her mind.

With wide eyes she looked up at the person standing in front of her. Her eyes moved over the brown boots, the loose fitting black pants, the long leather jacket, and then the loose white shirt that was slightly open at the collar. She looked at the man’s face to see a harsh gaze but handsome features. His unusual gray eyes stood out even though they were half hidden by long chestnut bangs, and his hair was extremely long. It probably would have fallen to about his mid-section but at the current moment it was pulled back and braided.

What really caught Aya’s attention though were the dark gray masses on either side of him. She could hardly believe her eyes. Aya blinked a few more times just to see if they would go away but no such thing happened.

This man did actually have wings.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter you'll meet some more new characters and I will be sure to put up the character bios I've made.