Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

tretton

The night before the wedding finally arrived, and I was more nervous than before.

“Babe, it’s just a rehearsal and dinner, not the actual wedding,” Michael laughed. “If you are like this now, I’d hate to see you tomorrow afternoon.”

I groaned. “I know, I know. I just have so much to do tonight, I need to make sure everything is setup for the reception, and make sure the flowers will be here, and-”

“Olivia,” Michael stated as he grabbed both of my hands, “everything will be perfect tomorrow. Just take a few breaths and relax.”

I took a deep breath and smiled at him. “You are so right. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

He chuckled. “Marry another man I suppose.”

I froze when he said that, but he did not notice as he finished tying his tie.

Not now, Olivia. Keep your head in the game.

-------

When we got to the Grand Hall, everything already looked so perfect.

I took a breath of relief when I saw Ellie come running towards me.

“Okay listen, I know you were stressed about all of this, so a bunch of us got all the centerpieces and whatever else needed done from Michael and that’s what we have been doing all day.”

I hugged her. “This is incredible! I never thought it would be so stunning.”

She shrugged. “I am your maid of honor, making your life easier is my job.”

We all stood around talking about centerpieces and reception music until the priest walked in and asked if we were ready to run through the ceremony.

We went through the setup of who would stand and sit where, the procession, the prayers, and even the I do’s.

Even through all of that, I had a knot in the stomach.

After rehearsal, Michael went to talk to the priest and I walked through the reception hall, admiring it all.

“You okay?” My papa asked me as he walked up beside me.

I looked and him and smiled. “Yeah, I just cannot believe that this day is finally here.”

He put his arm around me. “Are you happy? Because the past few days you have seem so sad.”

No not really.

I nodded. “Of course, I am just tired and ready for the hoopla to be over with.”

“That I can understand babygirl. But it will all be worth it.”

I sighed. “I know.”

Before he could say anything else, Michael announced the van to take all of us to Lidia’s for dinner had arrived.

Once we got to Lidia’s, I was so happy to see that they had Game 2 on the TV at the bar. The boys had lost a tough one two nights ago against the Capitals, but I knew that they would rebound from that.

As Michael ordered drinks for everyone, I stood in front of the television, clued to the game. It was almost 8 minutes into the second period, and Carl’s line was out there.

All the sudden, Bonino skated behind the net and passed it to Carl in front of the net.

“GOALLLLLLLLL” Ellie yelled beside me as she elbowed me. I gave her a stern look as everyone started to celebrate around me.

Michael handed me a beer. “That was a pretty goal.”

I put the beer to my mouth and started chugging.

Ellie nervously laughed and took the bottle away. “Easy there tiger.”

I snatched it back. “I’m okay. Just thirsty.”

She nodded like she knew I was lying and then walked to the table so we could order food.

About three-quarters of the way through dinner, I was eight beers in, and starting to slur my words.

“Babe, I think you’ve had enough.” Michael said as he took the bottle out of my hand.

“But baby, it’s the night before our wedding. Aren’t I allowed to have some fun?”

“How about some fresh air?” Ellie said as she stood up to help me up.

I snatched my arm away. “I can go myself thank you.”

I stumbled my way outside, and the blast of the cool evening air felt good on my face as I slid down the wall and sat down and put my head in my hands.

What was I doing? I’m supposed to be having a good time, but I’m not.

You wish you were with Carl

Shut up inner voice, I thought.

Well it’s true.

I groaned out loud, and did the unthinkable.

I pulled my phone out of my purse and sent a text.

Saw your goal tonight. Congrats on the win.

I looked at the screen for a couple more minutes until I realized he wasn’t going to answer. As I started to put the phone back in my purse, I heard my ringtone.

‘Hello?’ I slurred.

‘Liv? What are you doing? Aren’t you supposed to be at your dinner? And are you drunk?’

I giggled. ‘Aren’t you a smart one Mr. Hagelin. And I am at my dinner, just outside cause Michael cut me off.’ I said disgustedly.

I heard him laugh. ‘That might have been for the greater good.’

I started to pick at the bottom of my dress. ‘Why did you call me?’

‘Well why did you text me?’

I giggled. ‘I asked you first.’

He sighed. ‘Cause I wanted to hear your voice one last time.’

I sniffed. ‘I miss you.’

‘Olivia-’

‘No!’ I yelled. ‘It’s my turn to talk. It’s just not fair!’

He chuckled. ‘What’s not fair?’

‘You,’ I hiccuped, ‘the way you came into my life and turned it upside down. It’s not fair that I think i am falling in love with you.’

I heard him mumble something under his breath. ‘Look Liv, we are getting ready to fly home. Keep your phone on you. I am calling you and coming to get you when I land.’

I nodded as I stifled back the tears. ‘Okay.’

After we hung up, I got myself off the ground and brushed myself off before I walked back into the restaurant. I walked over to the table as Michael stood up.

“Babe, you going to be okay?”

“Um, yeah, Ellie are you ready to go? I am tired and need rest before tomorrow.”

She nodded as I kissed my parents goodbye and told the bridal party I would see them tomorrow.

We walked outside as she tried to contact an Uber for us.

“Are you sure you are okay?” she asked concerned.

I nodded. “I just need a bed and some tylenol.”

Sober me is going to regret tonight’s drinking tomorrow.