Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

tjugoåtta

We finally made our way back to the hotel when Olivia finally called me.

"So when were you going to tell me about Carl?" I said, answering my phone.

"Hey Ellie, why yes my flight was long. Oh no, the view from here is gorgeous!"

"Olivia Jane, start talking."

She explained to me how he followed her into the parking garage, and how she didn't get married and that she was in Pittsburgh this entire time.

"Shit Liv, no wonder he called us all liars when he came by the house."

I took Carl's side this time. "Put yourself in his shoes."

"I know, I would have done the same thing."

"We're not done here but we'll talk later. It's almost 11 here."

Once I hung up with here, I let out a big huff and threw myself on the bed. I've had enough of her shit.

"She better literally find herself in Hawaii or I'll go down there myself and drown her."

"Whoa, homicide is not the answer."

"It's either me or Carl who does it. It's gonna happen."

He rolled his eyes at me. "I'm too tired for this shit."

We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow; therefore, we decided to call it a day.

---

What is it with the sun and wanting to wake me up every morning I try to sleep in? I rolled onto my other side to face Derick: who wasn't even in the bed anymore. "What the heck. All I want is some morning cuddles and you're never there when I wake up."

"Sorry, I couldn't sleep." He was sitting at the desk tapping on his tablet.

"Why? What's wrong?" I questioned.

"Nothing, I've just been working on something for you."

"Oh? What is it?"

"You'll find out soon enough."

I love but hate surprises. It better be worth the wait he's going to put me through.

"Can you at least come back to bed and snuggle me? I need some loving?"

He shook his head. "Fine, but only because you're wearing my favorite outfit."

I rolled my eyes. "And if you're lucky, get a little surprise of your own," I smirked.

He jumped into bed so quickly. I knew that would work.

---

We were officially up and ready by 11 o'clock. We were headed back to the beach.

"We have to get going, surprises don't wait."

The suspense was killing me. Why couldn't he just tell me what it was!?

"Would you just tell me what it is?"

"Where's the fun in that?"

We were walking down the street to the beach when I felt like someone was walking behind us. "Is there someone following us?"

Derick looked over his shoulder. "Yep." He said quickly.

I held his hand tighter.

"Hey, Ellie Bear." I heard a very familiar voice, and I only know one person who ever called me back.

I turned around and it was my big brother.

"Shane!" I exclaimed loudly, running to jump into his arms.

I squeezed him so tight.

"How did you kno-- Derick!"

"He's been keeping in touch with me for a couple weeks now," Shane looked at Derick.

"I thought you were in--"

"I talked them into letting me come home early. Or well, back to base at least."

Shane was always good at talking people into doing things for him.

The only reason he went into the military was so he could get away from our parents. I mean, he was 18 at the time, so he was able to make his own decisions. As for me, I was only 10; therefore, I was stuck under their roof for another eight years.

"So Ellie, Derick tells me you've moved to New York."

"I did, and I got an amazing job offer with his team!" I exclaimed.

"That's awesome! I'm so happy for you."

I held onto my brother as we finished walking down to the beach. We ate lunch at a shack and continued to catch up.

"What are your plans for later?"

"We're going to the Pens/Sharks game tonight, but just hanging out around here till then," Derick said.

"We can probably try and get you a ticket if you wanted to come?" I suggested.

"That's okay, I'm meeting a bunch of buddies at the bar to watch. Thanks for the invite though." Shane smiled.

"We'll come meet you for drink afterward then!"

"I'll buy everyone drinks if we win," he laughed.

After we ate lunch, I wanted to lie out and get some sun. The boys kicked a soccer ball around and got to know each other. It was nice seeing them getting along. They kept on trying to kick the ball at him, but they missed every time.

"Don't quit your day jobs," I yelled at them.

---

After about an hour or so of spending time lying on the beach, we all walked back to the hotel to get ready for the game. I took a quick shower to get all the sand off of my body.

I pulled on my Hornqvist jersey and Derick just rolled his eyes at me.

"If you roll your eyes anymore, they might get stuck," I teased.

"Just means I wouldn't have to see you in that jersey anymore," he crossed his arms.

He flinched as I pretended that I was going to punch him in the arm. "I wouldn't have this problem if you were on the team."

"No thanks, I like New York."

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

Shane walked us over to the SAP Center before he went to the bar to meet his friends. I gave him a hug before we parted.

It was my first time in the SAP Center. All these Sharks' fans swarmed around me. No pun intended.

We found our way to our section and bought drinks and food before we went to our seats.

It was nice seeing these other Penguins' fans making their way to the away games to support the team.

The first goal came about five and a half minutes into the game. Ben Lovejoy scored from the Sharks' blue line. He ripped it right through all the defenders and past goalie, Martin Jones.

A few minutes later, Justin Braun tied it up for the Sharks.

It was tied at one after the first period, and remained the same for most of the second period, until Patric Hornqvist scored with 53 seconds remaining. I jumped up in excitement. Derick remained seated with his arms folded, shaking his head.

The third period started, and the Penguins' remained in the lead until Joel Ward scored about halfway in.

"It's gonna go to overtime," Derick said leaning over so I could hear him.

"You say that every time. We got this."

The last few minutes of the game ticked by as no one scored.

Great, overtime. My least favorite thing in the world.

"What'd I tell you?" Derick smirked.

"Shut up, we still got this."

I watched on the edge of my seat. Playoff overtime was the worst. A full 20 minutes of the two teams fighting to the death, practically.

Twelve minutes into overtime, Joonas Donskoi of the Sharks scored the game-winning goal.

That really put a damper on my day.

---

Derick and I got together with some of the guys after the game. We walked across the street from the arena to the bar to join Shane and his friends.

"Tough loss," Shane said as he hugged me.

"I know, just buy me a shot or something."

He laughed, "Some things don't change, huh?"

"Nope," I threw my shot back. "By the way, this is Patric, Carl, Ian, Kris, and Marc-Andre."

Shane shook each of their hands. "Kris Letang, my favorite player," he said as he shook his hand. "Nice to finally meet you."

We had only been in the bar for fifteen minutes and I swear Carl had already downed three beers.

"Geez, man. It was just one bad game," Ian said to him.

"Wanna go bug someone else?" He snarled at Ian.

Ian threw his hands up in defense.

I saw Carl look at his phone and then pick it up. "Liv?"

My eyes darted right at him. "Guys, I'll be right back."

A few minutes passed before he came back into the bar and took the beer right out of Ian's hand. "This is for you and your big mouth," and he chugged it down.

All of a sudden, Carl started to yell something at Ian. All of our heads turned to see what was going on.

"You've been telling her everything?!" He punched Ian.

Shane and his friends jumped to their feet the instant it happened, pulling the two apart before it got any worse.

After walking Carl outside and told him to he should leave, Shane came back in to see if Ian was okay.

"I've been hit harder," he laughed.

Shane then walked back over and retook his seat next to him. Ordering another beer, he asked me what was up with what happened.

"You remember my best friend, Olivia?"

Shane nodded.

I continued, "well she was supposed to get married about a month ago but she left her then-fiancé at the altar, because she was falling for Carl."

He shook his head.

"So yeah," I took a sip of my beer. "This is what I've had to deal with for the last month."

Hopefully it would be over soon.