Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

trettioett

Mornings after a playoff game loss are always tough, especially when you're in opponent territory. But what also made this morning suck was what happened at the bar last night.

As I was getting ready, I gave Liv a call.

It went straight to voicemail.

"Hey Liv, call me back when you get a chance. Miss you."

Besides the whole Carl thing, I hope she was enjoying herself in paradise.

I decided to spend the entire day with just my brother. We needed some time to catch up after not seeing each other for nearly two years.

My phone pinged.

You almost ready? I'll be in the lobby waiting for you.

I'll be down in a couple minutes.

I finished getting ready I gave a rundown to Derick about what was going on for the day. His plans were to hang out with Carl to make sure he was okay. I gave him a kiss and told him I'd see him later on.

As I was waiting for the elevator, I figured it was a good idea to see how Ian was doing.

You good?

I'll be fine. He hits like a chick.

I stepped out of the elevator, still looking at my phone.

"Don't you ever put that thing down?" Shane laughed.

I greeted him with a hug. "Why yes, Shane, I slept great. Thanks for asking!"

He shook his head.

"And FYI, I was asking Ian if he was okay." I continued.

"So am I all yours today?" Shane asked as we walked out of the lobby.

I nodded. "All day. Derick's going to hang out with Carl to make sure he's okay."

"That was just crazy last night."

"I'd rather not talk about that. We have so much to catch up on."

Shane had rented a car for the few days he'll be here. He drove us to this donut shop called 'Psycho Donuts'. I was a little concerned about the name.

"Uhh," I started.

"I swear it's not what it looks like." He joked. "This place is actually worth the try.

"If you say so," I said as I shut the car door.

He held the door open for me and I walked in and looked at the options.

"Oh my God," I laughed. "The names are hilarious."

After trying to make up my mind, I decided on the S'mores donut. It looked delicious.

We sat down at a table and started to catch up.

"So how did you meet Derick?"

How do I answer this? Do I tell him I hooked up with him a few months ago and then again the night of Olivia's 'wedding'?

"Well, we met after a game when the Rangers were in town. That was like, back in March. I got a little reckless during the months following the break up with Adam, so we kind of hooked up."

"So you've been together since then?"

"Not exactly," I swallowed. "I ignored all his calls and texts after that night, so I didn't talk to him for a good two months, because of everything that was going on with me. But then he contacted me the day of Olivia's wedding, I think it was, and we hooked up again that night. So that's how I ended up in New York..."

"Did you move to New York to be with him or to start a new life?"

"Both? Can I say that?" I questioned, looking down at my hands.

"Mhm, I think so. You needed to get away from that life you had back in Pittsburgh."

"Thank you for understanding," I gave him a small smile. "Derick has been great to me so far. He's treated me like we've been together for years, not a couple months."

"I am happy for you. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you during your dark times," he grabbed my hands.

"Just you writing to me really helped me get through. There was so many times where I had just wanted to end it all."

"I'm glad I didn't get that phone call, because I don't know what I would do without my Ellie Bear."

"If it weren't for you and Olivia, I would have offed my self. And Patric and his wife took me in for a couple weeks before I screwed that all up."

"How'd you do that?"

"I said something stupid, but we fixed our issues."

He nodded. "How are you doing now, Ellie? Are you okay? Are you still see--"

I cut him off. "Shane, I'm here aren't I?"

"Yeah..."

"I'm doing just fine," I reassured him.

He smiled at me, "I'm sorry, I've just missed so much."

I could tell that he felt bad for missing the last eight years of my life. Well, except for some of the important things I've done, like when I graduated college and when he surprised me for Christmas a couple years ago.

"How long are you home for?" I looked down.

"A couple weeks, then I have to go back over."

My stomach turned. "Don't you get scared?"

"I do, but I have to be brave for myself and for my little sister." He got up and walked around the table. He put his arm out for me to take. "But let's get going to our next destination."

I stood up and linked my arm with his. "Yes, let's!"

We drove about twenty minutes down the road, to the mall. Yes! Shopping!

"I haven't done retail therapy for myself in the longest time. It's usually for someone else."

"Nope, this is all for you. Besides, it's dad's credit card that he gave to me for 'emergencies'."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Anything to get back at them both."

"Let's get to shopping then."

We walked in and out of stores, buying a few things here and there. As we walked by New York and Company, my eye caught the dress that was on the mannequin in the window. It was a black bell-sleeve dress with a floral print on it. I loved it.

Shane saw me eyeing it up. "You should try it on. I think Derick would like you in that."

"Do you think?"

"He's crazy if he doesn't. You could wear it on a romantic date."

I blushed. "We haven't even gone on an actual real date yet. Just cheesy dates."

"The cheesy ones are the best, but nothing's better than a nice romantic night with the person you love."

I could feel my face go red. "We haven't discussed that yet."

I took the dress into the fitting room and tried it on.

It fit me perfectly.

I walked out to show Shane, and he had a big smile come across his face. "You look so beautiful."

I smiled, "I'll only get it if I can get shoes to go along with it."

"Done."

We checked out and headed back to the car.

On our drive back to the hotel, I tried to call Olivia again... That's weird. It said the number was disconnected.

I called Patric to see if he had talked to her.

"Älskling, hej!" He answered the phone.

"Hey..."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm with my brother right now, but have you talked to Liv at all today?"

"Yeah, earlier why?"

"I just tried to call her and it said the number is disconnected."

"Knulla..."

"What?"

"Carl ended up hooking up with some chick last night and--"

I stopped him. "Don't finish that sentence."

I hung up the phone and instantly texted Derick.

Please tell me he hasn't killed you yet

We got back to the hotel, and Shane helped me with my bags as we made our way upstairs to the room.

My phone buzzed. It was Derick finally.

Why would he kill me? Oh! Oh no!

Derick! This isn't funny!

I opened the room door and Derick was lying on the bed. I could have killed him.

"I thought you were out with Carl?" I asked.

"I was, we went to lunch."

"Is he okay?"

"Well, not really. He really fucked up."

"I can't even tell you how Olivia is doing because her phone is fucking disconnected."

I didn't know whether I was worried or pissed off that her phone was disconnected. She didn't even tell me the hotel she was staying at.

So I guess for now, I'm just disappointed.