Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

fyrtiofem

When I woke up the next morning, I reached out expecting to touch a warm body. Instead, I was greeted by a cold spot on the bed.

I groaned as I opened my eyes to see that my bed was empty beside me. I rolled over to grab my phone to see what time it was when I was greeted by a note.

‘Liv-
You looked peaceful sleeping so I did not want to wake you when me and Brass left. I will let you know when I land in Sweden. Jag älskar dig.’

I smiled as I sat up and stretched as I heard someone knocking on my front door.

I ran downstairs as they continuously knocked. I rolled my eyes when I opened the door to see Ian.

“Really? Excessive pounding?” I said as I stepped aside to let him in.

“I had to make sure you were up. What are you doing today?” He said as he plopped down on my couch.

“No clue. I need to go for a run and probably the gym.” I said patting my tummy. “I ate so much food yesterday it isn’t even funny.”

He rolled his eyes. “You girls and your weight, I will never understand it.”

I folded my arms. “What are you even doing here Cole? Shouldn’t you be going back home to celebrate your summer?”

“I’m leaving tomorrow, so I figured I would come if you wanted to hang out.”

I shrugged. “Sure. I don’t have anything else to do. Let me go change and then we can go for a run. Gotta keep you in shape too Champ.” I said as I ran upstairs to change.

-----------------------

An hour and a half later, we returned back to the house, both sweaty and panting.

“Man, I am glad I already have my bag packed and loaded in my car.” Ian said as he grabbed the bag out of his car.

I rolled my eyes as we walked into the house. “The spare shower is down by the guest room. Help yourself stink ass.”

“You don’t smell much better Liv.” Ian shouted up the stairs as I flipped him the bird.

Twenty minutes later, I came bouncing back down the stairs before heading into the kitchen.

When I turned the corner and saw the ring box on my counter, my heart stopped.

“Uh Ian?” I said as I just stood there staring at it.

“What’s up?” He said as he poked his head into the room.

As I pointed to the box, his eyes went big.

“Liv, is there something you wanna tell me?” He joked.

I shook my head. “Do you think that-?”

He shrugged as I pulled out my phone and dialed Carl’s number.

“Straight to voicemail, which means he’s in the air. Fuck.” I exclaimed as I tossed my phone down.

“Well,” Ian said as he walked towards it. “You could at least open it.”

I bit my lip. “I don’t know if I want to.”

He sighed. “Olivia, what’s the worst it can be?”

“Something I’m not sure I am ready for yet. I just ended one engagement.”

“Jesus Liv, just open the freaking box.” He said as he tossed the ring box to me.

I took a deep breath as I opened it.

“Oh thank God. It isn’t from Carl.” I said as I breathed a breath of relief.

Ian looked at it. “So it isn’t for you?”

I shook my head as I picked my phone up. “No. It’s Ellie’s engagement ring. Derick must have left it here so she couldn’t find it. I am going to kill him.”

Brassy, you are lucky you are 6 hours away.

uhhhh why?

did you forget to tell me something? Maybe about what you left on my counter?

oops my bad

I groaned as Ian laughed.

“After that mini heart attack, I need a drink and some food. I’m starving.” I said as I grabbed my purse and pushed Ian out the front door.

“Where shall we go my lady?” He asked as we got in the car.

“Head down to Market Square, I am craving some Franktuary.” I said as my stomach growled.

About twenty minutes later, we were sitting looking at the menus.

“Good Lord, I want everything.” I moaned.

Ian laughed as he ordered us a couple beers. “Weren’t you just complaining about how you ate too much yesterday?”

I shrugged. “Some food is just too hard to pass up. And this place falls under that category.”

We placed our orders and discussed what he was going to do with the Cup.

“What about you? What are you gonna do the rest of the summer?” He asked taking a sip of his beer.

I smiled. “Well I need to finish getting my plan together for school this year, so that’s about it. Oh, and I might be going to Sweden to surprise Carl when he gets the Cup.”

He chuckled. “So you’ve denied him every time he has asked you to go over there with him only to actually be going to Sweden to see him.”

I took a bite of my Pittsburgh Hot Dog as I rolled my eyes. “Look I never claimed to be perfect. And I just want to do something nice for him. I have done enough bad in the past.”

Ian scoffed. “That’s an understatement.”

I kicked him under the table as he went to steal some of my poutine.

“Jesus Liv.”

I shook my head. “Should have ordered your own. I don’t like sharing.”
---------------------------------

After lunch, Ian dropped my back off at my house.

“Have fun with Stanley this summer Ian.” I said as I gave him a hug.

He laughed. “You stay out of trouble Liv. Me and the guys will be back in September.”

“I always stay out of trouble.” I said shrugging. “It just seems to find me.”

After he left, I walked into my foyer and shut the front door and sighed.

For the first time since I could remember, I was alone.

I pulled my phone out of my purse and dialed Ellie’s number.

‘Do you know how lonely this place is without you?’ I said as soon as she picked up.

She laughed. ‘How are you going to survive two months without anyone?’

I groaned. ‘I have no idea. Move back home?’

‘I don’t think Derick would like that too much, Liv. I will come visit after Sweden, I promise. Speaking of which, you hear if Carl made it yet?’

I looked at the clock on my mantle as I sat on the couch. ‘Not yet. He isn’t due to land for a few more hours.’

‘That is one flight I am not looking forward to. Eight plus hours of sitting on a airplane.’

I laughed. ‘Hawaii was the same way. Nothing a good book and a playlist cannot get you through.’

‘So what are you going to do with all your free time? Party hard?’

I rolled my eyes. ‘I need to get back into teacher mode at some point. I think I have some meetings coming up next week. That and I need to start setting up my classroom at some point. I hate being an adult sometimes.’

She chuckled. ‘You love your kids, don’t kid yourself.’

I sighed. “You’re right. I couldn’t imagine doing anything but teaching. I am just not ready for a new school year.”

“Well maybe I’ll send Mats down there to keep you company for a few days.” She joked.

I groaned. “As much as that sounds like fun, I am not sure that would be a good idea.”

“Well I mean, you could put him to work. He’s going stir crazy here. He only leaves Derick’s apartment for training.”

I thought for a minute. “Ugh. Give him the phone.”

A few moments later, I heard my favorite Norwegian’s voice.

“Hei min kjære. Hva skjer?”

“I’m lonely and bored and need help throwing together my kindergarten classroom. I will feed you and will even work out with you. You wanna come visit?”

“You’re lonely huh? I can fix that.” He said with a smile in his voice.

I rolled my eyes. “Not that lonely. Besides, our favorite Swede wouldn’t be too happy with you if you solve my loneliness.”

He laughed. “Yeah I’ll come down. I need away from these two lovebirds anyways. I can only handle so much Ellie. Four days was too much.”

I heard Ellie hit him as she took her phone back. “He acts like I tortured him when Der was in Ottawa.”

I laughed as I heard my call waiting beep. “Hey El, I gotta call you back, someone is beeping in.”

We said our goodbyes before I flipped over to the other call.

‘Hello?’ I answered.

‘Olivia.’

I smiled. ‘Carl. I take it you made it?’

He sighed. ‘On my last layover. I miss you.’

‘I miss you too.’ I said as I walked to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of wine. ‘Only two months left.’

He groaned. ‘Don't forget I go to Toronto soon after for Worlds. Are you sure you don't want to come here?’

I chuckled. ‘I'm sure. I have my kindergarteners to worry about. Besides, I'm not going anywhere. I'm done running.’

‘Good cause I would continue to find you. But they are calling my flight. I'll text you when I get home.’

We said our goodbyes as we hung up. I put my phone down and leaned against the counter as I took a drink of my wine.

Two months is going to feel like an eternity.

----------------------

A couple weeks later, I was standing at the baggage claim waiting for Mats, when I hear him yelling as he ran towards me.

I chuckled and shook my head as he reached me and swept me into a hug.

“What is it with you Scandinavians and being overly excited to see me?”

He shrugged. “Maybe we can’t deny a beautiful woman the love and attention she needs.”

I rolled my eyes as I smacked his chest. “Behave Mats.”

He laughed as he grabbed his bag. “I know my boundaries. Trust me, Carl called me this morning to threaten me and told me I wasn’t allowed to get you drunk. I guess he didn’t like our shenanigans a couple weeks back.”

“He got over it. Him and Derick thought a hungover Liv was hilarious. Assholes let me sleep an entire day though.”

“So what are gonna do for a few days?” He asked as we started out of the parking lot.

“I am going to put you to work. I got name tags and decorations to make for my students and then we get to go put them in my classroom. Oh and throw together little gift bags for all 15 of them.”

He groaned. “I’m not very artistic. I’m a hockey player for a reason.”

“All you have to do is use scissors, I printed off templates offline. If you cannot handle that, you have issues. Besides, the ones you already have.” I joked.

“Hilarious. So you hear from your Swede lately?”

I nodded as I pulled off the Parkway. “Pretty much everyday, Why Mats? You miss him?”

“Well of course I miss my best friend. And with Derick now gone, New York is gonna be so lonely.”

“Okay first off, you will be fine, you big baby. Second, we are only a short flight away, you can come and see us anytime. And thirdly, you play both of them several times during the year, it isn’t like you will not ever see them again. I mean, look at me and Ellie. I haven’t seen her in a few weeks, and won’t see her until September, if I am lucky. We still try to talk once a day, if not more. And I’ve known her a lot longer than you’ve known Carl or Derick.” I said as we approached my neighborhood.

“But we are men, we aren’t good with feelings.”

I laughed. “Then you clearly haven’t seen two of you, or even all three of you, in the same room.”

“Okay true, we are in man love with each other.” He said texting someone. “Our man says hi by the way.”

I laughed when I pulled into my driveway. “So let me get this straight. You have been sitting here complaining about missing him, but you have been texting him the entire time?”

“Yes, no, maybe a little. He was on FaceTime too for a few minutes.”

I parked the car and punched his arm. “You guys are freaking ridiculous. I swear to God I am glad we do not live in the same city. I would never see him.”

“Or see me 24/7.” He said shrugging as he followed me into the house. “So what’s for lunch? I’m starving.”

I rolled my eyes as I walked into my kitchen and looked in my fridge. “Well I need to go grocery shopping. But I have something I could make.”

“I don’t even care what it is. Just make it.” He said from the living room as he plopped down on the couch and turned on the television.

I laughed. “Whatever you say.”

---------------------------

“What the hell is this?” He said as I gave him a plate of food.

“It’s called a chili dog and macaroni and cheese. You said just make whatever I had and you didn’t care.” I said smiling.

He picked up the hot dog and sniffed it. “Is this even real food?”

I laughed as I walked back into the kitchen. “Yes! Just eat!”

I fixed myself a plate and walked back into the living room as Mats was Facetiming someone.

“Hags, your girlfriend is trying to kill me. This is what she is feeding me.” He said as he showed him the plate.

I heard Carl laugh as I sat beside Mats.

“He told me to make him whatever and he would eat it after I told him I needed to go grocery shopping. Besides, this is comfort food here in America.” I said as I took a bite of my hot dog. “See? I’m not dead.”

Carl shook his head. “You have to remember he is used to better food, not Americanized food. He is Norwegian love..”

“But he lives in New York and has never had a hot dog? He should be ashamed.”

Mats crinkled his nose and took a bite of the chili dog. As he chewed his face softened.

“Yo Haggy, this actually isn’t that bad man.”

Carl faked puking on the other end of the phone. “I’ll take your word for it. I’m gonna enjoy my fine Swedish cuisine over at Horny’s here shortly though.”

“Fuck!” As I remembered I needed to call Patric about my surprise trip. “Carl, Mats will call you back.”

I hung up before he could say goodbye.

“Uh Liv?” Mats said with a mouthful of food.

“I need to tell you something, but you cannot tell Carl.”

He swallowed as he nodded. “Now I am scared. You’re not running away from him again are you? Cause if you are-”

I rolled my eyes as I held my hand up. “Stop. Me and Derick are going to Sweden a couple days before the Swedes get the Cup to surprise Ellie and Carl. And I swear to God Mats, if Carl finds out, I will murder you with your own skate.”

“I won’t tell him, as long as I can have seconds?” He smiled as he handed me his empty plate.

I chuckled. “You know where the food is. I need to go make a phone call.”

He ran into the kitchen as I stepped out onto my front porch. I dialed Patric’s number as I sat on my bench.

“Olivia! Just in time for the party!” He answered.

I groaned. “I was trying to catch you before he got there.”

I heard him excuse himself. “What’s going on? Are you okay?”

“Yeah I am fine, but I need to ask you something. And I need you to keep it a secret.”

“Err okay? Should I be worried?”

I laughed. “No. But I know El is coming out there a week before you guys get the Cup, and Derick and I were thinking-”

He chuckled. “Now that is never a good idea.”

“Oh hush. We were thinking about flying out there a couple days before the Cup arrives and surprise everyone.”

“Underbar! Ja! They are going to be so surprised.” He exclaimed.

“Well it gets even better. Derick plans on proposing to Ellie while we are out there.”

“Herregud. Malin is going to flip when she finds out.”

I nodded. “Just please don’t let Carl find out. I have told him over and over I cannot make it out due to work and money. I just want to do this one thing for him.”

“Liv, trust me, he won’t find out. And you have no idea what this will mean to him. Seriously.”

I smiled. “I know. That’s why I am doing it.”

We chatted a few more minutes about the plans before we got off the phone.

When I walked back into the house, I saw mine and Mats plate both empty.

“Uh, Mats, did you eat my food?”

He looked up from his game. “Maybe?”

I groaned and rolled my eyes. “Come on fatty, we are going grocery shopping.”

He paused his game and jumped off the couch. “Good. I can cook you a real meal.”

I groaned as I followed him out the door. “If you’re cooking, you’re paying.”

----------------------------------

A few hours later, I was sitting on the back patio, sipping on some red wine, as Mats cooked in the kitchen when my phone rang.

“Isn’t it like 2 am over there?” I asked Carl when I answered the phone.

“Uh, yes. I just got back from Patric’s so I figured I would call. What are you up to?”

I swirled my glass before taking a drink. “Drinking some wine as Mats cooks me something foreign for dinner. How was Patric’s?”

“Good, but I do have a question. Why when you called Patric earlier, did he leave the room to talk to you?”

I gulped down the sip of wine I just took. “I don’t know, maybe you were being loud and he wanted to hear me?”

“Mmmhmm. He came back in with a huge smile on his face. So either you two are having an affair behind mine and Malin’s back, or you’re hiding something.”

I nervously laughed. “Carl, I am not having an affair and I am not hiding something. You would probably leave the room too if I would have called you. And in all honesty, when isn’t Patric smiling?”

He paused for a minute before he chuckled. “Alright maybe you’re right, min kärlek. But I need to go get some sleep so I can get up bright and early to train with Patric. Be careful eating whatever Mats’ is cooking, he’s Norwegian and doesn’t know good food.”

I laughed as Mats brought out two plates. “Well he is serving me now, so if you don’t ever hear from me again, just remember I love you and that you were best friends with my killer.”

Mats looked offended. “Tell that Swede I could out cook him anyday.”

Carl laughed. “Remind him of our cook off in New York, and ask him who won.”

I looked questioningly at Mats as I repeated what Carl had said.

Mats scoffed. “That’s because he put more mint than chocolate in his sundae. Who picks mint over chocolate honestly?”

I shrugged. “I like mint.”

Mats threw his hands up and I heard Carl laugh. We said our goodbyes as I turned my attention to the food Mats had placed in front of me.

“Do I even wanna know what you are trying to feed me?” I said picking up my fork and poking at the food.

“It’s called Kjøttkaker.” he said rolling his eyes. “Meatcakes for you plain Americans. Then you know your veggies, potatoes and carrots.”

I wrinkled my nose as I took a bite.

“This is actually some pretty good shit Mats.” I said after I swallowed. “You’re a better cook than I thought you were gonna be.”

He smiled. “I have many other hidden talents if you wanna find out what they are.”

I pretended to gag as he sat down and laughed.

I leaned back in my seat and took a sip of wine as Mats started talking about his childhood in Norway and Carl texted me to tell me he loved me.

My life has finally settled into some normalcy, and I was completely okay with it.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry about the lack of updates. Between work and vacations this week and next, we will do our best. DON'T GIVE UP ON US. :)