Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

femtiofyra

I hate Pittsburgh traffic.

I groaned as I finally turned into the back lot of the arena and showed security my badge before I parked.

“Afternoon Olivia, you already missed one hell of a game.” the guard said.

I gave him a smile as he handed back my badge. “I know Earl, but someone’s gotta teach the young minds of today.”

He chuckled as he let me through the gate. As soon as I was parked, I ran over to Milano’s to meet Ellie and Derick.

“Really guys? Pizza?” I said as I approached the table and had a seat.

Derick looked at me mid bite and nodded before he tried to mumble something. Ellie rolled her eyes.

“I think what he is trying to say is, that it is his cheat day, so why not have our favorite food?”

I grabbed a couple slices and started eating. “I am starving. And I just ate a couple hours ago.”

“It’s that Swede growing inside of you.” Derick said with his mouth full.

Ellie nodded as she took a drink of her beer. “You’re gonna be craving a lot of things.”

I groaned. “I miss beer and wine.”

They both laughed. “Don’t worry, Ellie will drink a few for you.” Derick said pointing to her.

She rolled her eyes. “Thanks Brassard.”

I chuckled. “Yeah Derick, don’t be a Brasstard.”

Ellie choked on her pizza as she started to laugh when Derick just stared at me.

“Brasstard? Oh my God Liv, that’s a good one! I’m gonna have to remember that for future reference.” She exclaimed as he rolled his eyes.

We finished eating and headed back over to the arena.

“So our Cappy and favorite Russian upgraded us for this game.” Ellie said as we approached the arena.

I laughed. “Upgraded us how?”

“Suite seats baby!” Derick exclaimed.

“Aww. I knew Sid was my favorite Canadian for a reason.”

“Hey now,” Derick said, grabbing his chest, “and here I thought I was. I'm hurt.”

I shrugged as we entered the arena. “You are at least my 5th favorite.”

“Wow Olivia, I thought we were friends.” He said as we got our tickets scanned and headed up the escalator to our suite.

As soon as Ellie opened the door, I heard a familiar voice.

“Well shit, look what the cat dragged in.”

My head shot up as a huge grin spread across my face. “Ian!”

I ran over to him and give him a hug. “I didn’t know you guys were gonna be back in town.”

“A few of us came back early to get a jump on things.” Tanger said as I saw him and Schultzy sitting at the seats.

“I should have known something was up when Geno got overly happy when Sid gave me the tickets.” Ellie laughed.

“So did the forwards miss the memo or is this just a defense thing?” I asked.

“Ain’t no party like a defense party, cause a defense party don’t stop!” Dumo exclaimed as he raised his two beers in the air and shook his ass.

Everyone laughed as he danced his way to his seat.

“Drink much Dumo?” I laughed as I grabbed a bottle of water.

“I don’t think he has stopped drinking since we won.” Ian shrugged as he tried to hand me a beer.

I shook my head as he pushed it towards me.

“You turning down a beer?” He chuckled. “You never turn down a beer.”

“Yeah that was before she started growing a Swede inside of her.” Derick interjected before I could say anything.

I shot him a look as all the guys turned to look at me and Ellie elbowed him.

“Hold on a minute. Did he just say you were pregnant?” Ian said shocked.

I smiled and shrugged. “Surprise?”

“Man I have missed a lot since June.” Tanger said, shaking his head. “So you and Haggy settled your shit and are starting a family huh?”

“More than less, yes we did. And it was a happy little accident.” I said rubbing my stomach.

Ellie grabbed the extra beer from Ian. “Which means, I get to drink for two!”

We chatted about our summers until it was time for the anthems. We started to head to the seats, when Ian grabbed my arm.

“Hang back. We need to talk.”

I nodded as we stood at attention for the anthems. As soon as ‘Oh Canada’ ended, he pulled me towards the back of the suite.

“What’s up Colesy? You miss me that much?” I smiled.

He chuckled. “I actually did miss you. But really, how are you doing? Are you happy?”

I nodded. “I really am. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I never saw my life going in this direction. But I am glad it has.”

“And here I thought you would get smart and dump him and come running to me.” He joked.

I laughed as I pushed him towards the seats.

By second intermission, Ellie and Dumo were both three sheets to the wind.

“You’re my best friend!” Dumo yelled as he threw his arm around Ellie.

“No you’re my best friend!” Ellie yelled back.

Derick rubbed his forehead. “Who let her drink too much?”

I laughed. “Aww poor Brassy. Feel left out?”

He threw some popcorn in my direction. Ellie laughed then stopped.

“I want nachos.” She said as she tried to climb the couple steps up to the food.

“And more beer!” As Dumo tried to help her, and himself, up the steps.

Me and Ian were dying of laughter as Derick sighed as he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder.

“I’m taking this drunk one home. Is someone getting drunk Dumo home?”

Tanger nodded as he laughed at Dumo trying to pour himself another beer. “Yeah I got him.”

I gave Derick my house key and bent down to face level with Ellie. “You get some sleep, we got class in the morning.”

She giggled. “I feel like I’m flying Livvy!”

I shook my head and looked at Derick. “Good luck Brassard.”

He rolled his eyes and turned to walk out of the suite when Ellie exclaimed “Wait! Wait!”

He sighed and looked to the ceiling. “What is it Arielle?”

She kicked her feet. “Put me down!”

He sighed as he sat her down. “What?”

“I need to say goodbye to my bestie!” she exclaimed as she turned around to where Dumo was standing, drinking his beer. She ran over to him and hugged him.

“You my favoritest bestie penguin ever.” she said as she hiccupped.

“Alright drunky, let's go.” Derick said tapping his foot.

She turned around and put her arms out. “Take me away chariot. I'm ready to fly.”

He sighed as he picked her up again. As he walked toward the door, Ellie started singing.

“Weeeeee are the Championssss my frienddssssss! And we’lllll keep on fightingggggg to the endddddd!”

Ian and Tanger started laughing as Dumo started to drunk sway and I just shook my head.

--------------------------------------
“Guys, let’s go! We’re gonna be late.” I yelled as I threw my notebook in my bag.

“I told him he needed to be up and ready a half hour ago, so who knows what he is doing.” Ellie said shrugging as she walked out of the kitchen.

I groaned. “I swear to God. Why did I even agree to bring him to school with us?”

“Cause you love me.” He said coming down the stairs holding a backpack.

I looked at Ellie as she shook her head. “Uh Derick, what’s with the backpack?”

“You said we were going to school, so I figured I need a backpack.” He said throwing it over his shoulder.

I held up my hands as I walked towards the front door. “I don’t even have time to argue with an overgrown child. Let’s go.”

“Do you even wanna know what’s in it?” Derick said excitedly as we got into my car.

Ellie laughed. “Oh this should be good.” She said as she turned to look at him. “Derick dear, what’s in the bag?”

I groaned as I heard him unzip the bag. “Let’s see, I got some coloring books, crayons, my toy train, some cookies, and a lunch in my old school Wayne Gretzky lunch box. ”

I tried to stifle a laugh. “You have a toy train? Seriously? What are you, five?”

Ellie rolled her eyes as she rubbed her head. “Today is gonna be so much fun!”

“Not our fault you drank so much, drunky.” Derick shrugged.

She groaned. “Don’t remind me. I don’t even remember anything past the first period.”

“You gonna be able to handle screaming kids?” I laughed.

She nodded. “If I can live with Derick, I can handle a bunch of kids with a hangover.”

-------------------------

A couple hours later, the kids were having a blast with Derick and Ellie. After they helped teach the different body parts to the kids, I told the kids it was time to trace Derick.

They all cheered as Derick smiled.

“Yay! Art time!” He said as he helped me roll out the chart paper.

Ellie chuckled as she helped the kids pick out markers.

“Uh Ellie, you’re gonna be a model too.” Derick said as he patted the extra paper beside him.

She rolled her eyes as she laid down beside him.

“Okay, kids. Now each of you is going to trace a part of both Ellie and Derick and then we are going to hang them up and label the body parts okay?”

After the collective ‘okays’ from the class, I gave them the go ahead to trace my friends. It took them longer than it should have thanks to Derick cracking jokes.

I helped my friends off the floor and told the kids to decorate the drawings. As soon as they were done, I had Derick tape them to the board, as I split the kids into two teams.

“Alright class, we are gonna play a game.” I said as I separated cards with names of parts of the body into two piles. “Each of you will take a card and place it on the part of the body it belongs. The first team to get all of them right, gets a snack from Derick.”

Derick excitedly raised his hand. I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Derick, you don’t need to raise your hand.”

“Okay but, can I play?”

The kids and me all laughed. “No Derick, you can’t. But you can be their cheerleader. How does that sound?”

He gave me a dejected look and nodded. “Okay fine.”

I gave Ellie a look as she smiled and shrugged.

As the kids played their game, both Ellie and Derick helped them if they struggled. After Derick celebrated his team winning, I had the kids sit back at their assigned seats as Derick passed out their snack.

After snack time, I had the kids have some quiet time to color or play quietly as I cleaned up from the body activity.

“Man, teaching is exhausting.” Derick said as he plopped down in my chair.

“You play hockey for a living, and this is exhausting?” Ellie asked him matter of factly.

He nodded. “So when’s nap time?”

I laughed as I put the markers back in the box. “There is no nap time. We have quiet time instead.”

“Blasphemy!” Derick exclaimed. “Nap time is important!”

I rolled my eyes. “Take it up with the school board then. Besides, they are only here for a couple more hours. You can nap in the car when we go into the doctor later.”

“You mean,” he said grabbing his chest, “you don’t want me back in the exam room with you? I thought we were best friends!”

“Derick, after how Carl handled being back there, I know you will be even worse. So no.” I said as Ellie laughed.

Derick pouted as the bell rang and the kids rang towards the door to go out for recess. We followed them out, where Derick joined them in a game of kickball.

An hour later, after school had ended, we headed over to my doctor’s appointment. I went to the desk to check in as Derick and Ellie took a seat.

Soon after I took a seat, they called both me and Ellie back. I gave her a questioning look.

“You have an appointment too?”

She shifted her eyes as she nodded. “Yeah, long story. I’ll explain in a bit.”

She followed me back to the exam room and took a seat as I got on the exam table and prepared for the ultrasound. We sat there in silence before I cleared my throat.

“So what’s going on? Are you okay?”

She sighed. “I miss my period last month. I took a test, it was negative, thank God. But I am a little worried. This isn’t my first one I have missed.”

I shrugged. “Maybe it’s just stress.”

“Hopefully.” She said as the doctor came in and smiled at us both.

“Alright Olivia. How are you feeling?”

I smiled. “I am doing good. Nausea has subsided, I am hungry all the time, and exhaustion is almost gone.” I put my hand on my belly. “And I got little of a bump that makes me look bloated all the time.”

The doctor laughed. “Get used to that belly, cause it will only get bigger. Let’s have a look, shall we?”

I nodded as she put the gel on my stomach and started moving the wand around. A few seconds later, I heard the heartbeat and saw the blip on the screen.

I smiled as she clicked a few buttons on the machine before removing the wand.

“Everything is looking good so far. We are going to get some bloodwork from you and see you back in about a month.” She said as she smiled as I wiped my stomach off.

I hopped off the table and I walked over to Ellie.

“Your turn.” I said as she groaned.

I sat in the chair and shot a text to Carl to let him know the appointment went well as Ellie told the doctor what was going on. As the doctor said she was going to want to do an examination, I told Ellie that I would go sit in the waiting room with Derick.

“So how’s the devil spawn?” Derick asked as I sat down beside him.

I rolled my eyes as I looked at the magazine he was reading. “The baby is fine. ‘Cosmopolitan’? Really Derick?”

He shrugged. “It is actually some good reading. Where’s Ellie?”

“The doctor wanted to do an exam. So I left to give her some privacy.”

He sighed. “I’m worried about her.”

I patted his leg. “She’s gonna be okay. Like I told her, it is probably just stress from moving and everything else.”

About 45 minutes later, Ellie finally came out of the exam room. We both stood up as she kept her head down.

“How did it go?” Derick asked as she walked past us. “Okay then, guess we aren’t talking about it.”

We drove back to Carl’s in silence. As soon as we got home, Ellie went up to her room and slammed the door.

Derick went to go up to talk to her when I put my hand on his shoulder.

“Let me go talk to her.” I said as I headed towards the stairs.

I knocked on the door as she said ‘go away’. I opened the door slowly.

“El, what’s going on?” I said walking in and sitting beside her.

She laid there, hugging a pillow. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Ellie,” I said softly, “talk to me.”

She sniffled as she sat up. “So the doctor did my exam, an ultrasound, blood and urine tests. She thinks I have a severely thin uterine lining.”

“Meaning?”

“Meaning I might not be able to have kids.” She said with tears running down her face.

“Oh my God.” I said as I hugged her. “Did she say if there was anything you could do?”

She nodded. “It all depends on what the blood tests tell us tomorrow to be honest. I am just really scared.”

I rubbed her back. “I know, but you need to tell Derick. He is worried about you.”

“I know, but he’s gonna be devastated.”

I heard a knock on the door. “I get that, but he deserves to know.”

I walked to the door and opened it to see Derick. I stepped aside to let him in before I left.

---------------------------------------

The next morning, I headed downstairs after getting ready. I entered the kitchen to see Ellie and Derick sitting at the kitchen table in silence.

“Why do I feel like I just walked into a funeral?” I said as I grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge.

Derick cleared his throat. “She, uh, got the call from the doctor.”

I froze. “So what is the verdict?”

“My hormone levels are severely out of whack and I have some scar tissue.” Ellie said quietly.

“Okay, so aren’t their treatments for both?” I asked.

“Yes but-”

“Then do them.” I interrupted.

She laughed. “That’s so easy for you to say isn’t it Liv?”

Derick put his hand on her arm. “Ellie.”

“No. She doesn’t know what I am going through. Hell, she got pregnant by a guy she isn’t even sure she wants to be with half the time. Her life is perfect.”

“Excuse me?” I said slamming down my bottle.

She crossed her arms. “You heard me. Hell, you probably don’t even want that kid growing inside of you right now.”

I dry laughed. “Wow Ellie, I knew you were upset, but I never knew you would stoop that low. All I was doing was trying to help, and you throw shit in my face that you don’t even know about.” I went and grabbed my purse and keys. “I’ll be back in time to go to the airport.”

I slammed the front door on my way out. Before I could pull out of the driveway, I saw Derick running up to the car. I rolled down the window as I rolled my eyes.

“You here to add insult to injury Brass? Cause I am not in the mood.”

“No. I am here to tell you she doesn’t mean anything she just said. She is-”

“Upset? Yeah I got that. Still doesn’t give her the right. I’ll be back in a few hours.”

I put my car in reverse and sped out of the driveway and neighborhood. I headed towards downtown as my phone rang.

I looked at the screen on my dash to see Michael calling. I took a deep breath and answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey Liv, I was kinda expecting your voicemail.”

“Yeah, I took the day off. Why are you calling me Michael?”

I heard him take a deep breath. “I know our last meeting didn’t go so well. And I was wondering if I could make it up to you. So we can talk, as friends.”

I sighed. “Okay. Where are you at? I can be downtown in maybe 15.”

“I’m at my office. Can you meet at Emiliano’s?”

“Sure, just grab a table if I’m not there.”I said as I hung up.

----------------------------

Thirty minutes later, I ran into Emiliano’s and saw Michael sitting in the corner.

“Sorry, traffic is a bitch.” I said as I walked over.

He stood up as he saw me and pulled my chair out for me. I smiled at him as I sat down.

“It’s fine. I actually just got here myself about five minutes ago.” He said as he sat back down.

The waitress came over and took our drink orders.

We sat in silence look at the menus for a couple minutes before I cleared my throat.

“So what’s going on? Why call me out of the blue?”

He loosened his tie a little bit. “Well, I saw Ellie a couple days ago at the arena and-”

I snorted as he stopped. “Oh sorry, she just didn’t tell me, which honestly doesn’t surprise me. BUt continue.”

He gave me a skeptical look. “And she told me how you were doing and that you and Carl were doing good.”

I choked on my sip of water. “Michael listen-”

“I think it’s time we have the talk about what happened Olivia.”

I sighed and nodded. “Michael, I loved you. But the reason the wedding never happened has nothing to do with other guy. It had to do with me. I wasn’t happy, and hadn’t been in a long time.”

“Why didn’t you say anything? We could have went to a therapist or-”

I shook my head. “I don’t think there was anything you could have done.”

He sat back and sighed. “So are you happy? With him?”

I smiled as our food arrived. “I am.”

“Then I am happy for you.” He said smiling back.

---------------------------

A few hours later, after doing some shopping after finishing lunch, I headed back to the house to grab my bags and pick Derick and Ellie up to head to the airport.

I took a deep breath before I entered to see their bags sitting by the door. Derick stuck his head out of the kitchen.

“Oh good. I was worried you weren’t going to make it.”

I rolled my eyes. “Let me go grab my bag and I’ll be ready.”

By the time I got back downstairs, their bags were in my car and Ellie was sitting in the back seat.

I sighed as I got into my car and saw Derick messing with the radio.

“What are you doing?”

“Passenger gets to play DJ right?”

“Sure whatever.” I said as we started the silent drive to the airport.

------------------------------

A few hours later, we finally landed in Ottawa.

“Okay, how long are you two not going to talk to each other?” Derick asked as we grabbed our bags.

I shrugged as Ellie just stood there. Derick sighed as he went to go get the car.

When we finally got back to the house, I followed them up to the front door as Ellie turned around.

“I don’t want her here.”

My jaw dropped as Derick looked shocked. “Ellie come on, she’s your best friend.”

“Where the fuck do you want me to go?” I exclaimed.

She scoffed. “Anywhere but here. And I don’t care if she was the queen of England, I don’t want to see her.”

I threw my hands up as Derick sighed. “Liv, you can stay here. There is plenty of room.”

Ellie huffed as she went inside. I rolled my eyes and followed suit.

Derick showed me where the spare room was and left me be.

I fell on the bed as my phone rang. I moaned as I answered it.

“What is it?”

I heard Carl laugh. “Bad day?”

I groaned. “You have no idea. Me and Ellie had a blowout.”

“Wait. You guys never fight. What happened?”

I filled him in on what was going on.

“Oh shit.”

“Yeah, and I told her she should do the treatments, and she pretty much blew up on me. Telling me that I wouldn’t know what she’s going through cause I got knocked up by a guy I, according to her, don’t know if I want to be with half the time. Then she accused me of not even wanting the baby.”I said tearing up.

“Shit Olivia. I’m sorry.” He said softly.

“I mean, you know I want this baby. And I know I have been a mess this summer but-”

He laughed. “Liv, calm down. I know, it’s okay. I know how you feel, and you know how I feel. Ellie was just upset and taking it out on you.”

I wiped my face. “I know. It just sucks hearing it from her.”

“Go and try to get some rest. We will be down early afternoon.”

We said our goodbyes as I hung up. I turned on the TV and laid back on the bed. Soon I was fast asleep.

----------------------------

The next day, I sat out on the back porch with Malin, watching Isabella play with Blades as the boys tried to put together a swing set.

“Derick, where are the directions?” Carl asked looking at all the pieces.

Derick ran his hand through his hair. “I think I threw them out. I didn’t think it was going to be this hard!”

I laughed as Blades ran up to them and tried to steal a piece of the swingset. He got halfway to the deck when Carl looked over and started laughing.

“Well at least the dog knows what he should do with it.” As Derick ran after Blades.

I rolled my eyes as Carl ran up on the porch and kissed my forehead as he went in the house to see if he could find the directions.

“You two seem content.” Malin said smiling at me.

I nodded as I played with my bottle of water. “I mean, it hasn’t been easy. With him playing in this tourney and me in Pittsburgh. But we make it work.”

“It will get easier, I promise. How’s the little one?”

I smiled as I rubbed my belly. “Doctor says everything looks good. Almost out of the first trimester.”

“Hey Liv, will you go into the garage and get the tool box?” Derick asked as he and Patric started putting pieces together.

I got up to get it as Carl came out. “No, I’ll go get it.”

“Uh no. I can get it. I’m not helpless.” I said crossing my arms.

He sighed. “Olivia, I don’t want you to overexert yourself.”

“I’m pregnant, not disabled. I can handle carrying a toolbox thank you. You aren’t my father.” I said as I pushed past him.

I got to the garage and grabbed the toolbox. When I got back to the guys, I threw the box at Carl.

“See? I can handle it asshole.”