Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

sju

After lunch with Ellie, I headed back home.

When I walked through the front door, I saw a dozen roses sitting on the front table.

I smiled and headed upstairs to Michael's office.

As I approached the door, I heard him talking on the phone.

“Yes i know, but she has no idea.”

“I have no idea about what?” I said as I opened the door.

He looked at me startled.

“I’ll have to call you back,” he said as he hung up the phone.

I crossed my arms. “Michael, what don't I know?”

He rubbed his nose. “Babe, it's nothing. Don't worry about it.”

“No! I am so freaking sick of you never home and all these secrets! We are getting married in less than a month. Do you even care?” I yelled.

“Of course I care! I'm marrying you still aren't I?”

I felt like he just slapped me.

“I cannot believe you just said that. Making marrying me seem like a job.” I started to sob.

He sighed. “Liv, you know I didn't mean it like that. I just-”

I put my hand up. “No, I'm done. Just get out.”

He started to protest, but just walked past me.

As soon as I heard the front door slam shut, I dissolved into tears.

----------

As soon as I gathered my composure, I tried calling Ellie.

No answer.

I left her a voicemail and sighed.

I need to get out of this house.

I try calling a couple other friends, all of whom had plans or didn't answer.

As I went through my contact list, I landed on one number and stared at it for a few minutes.

Well, what can this hurt?

I hit dial and took a breath.

---------

About 30 minutes later, I was sitting in my car outside of Consol, wondering what I was even doing, when there was a knock on my window.

“Are you gonna just sit in your car all day or do you wanna go shoot some pucks?” Carl said with a smile.

I took a breath and smiled back as I stepped out of my car.

“Are you sure you can get us in?” I asked as I followed him to one of the back entrances.

“Oh yeah, they love me here.” he said with a smirk as he held the door for me.

A few minutes later, we were out on the ice.

“So, do you wanna talk or you just wanna pretend his head is the puck?”

I sighed.

“I just don't understand him. Ever since he proposed he's been…. Distant. And it just keeps getting worse the closer we get to the wedding.” I stated as I shot a puck into the back of the net.

“Maybe he's just getting the last of his bachelor days in? Nervous?”

I slapped a puck across the ice. “He has great freaking timing. This is the time where we are supposed to be excited to be married. Can you believe he acted like marrying me was a job?”

He shook his head. “Maybe he is just too stupid to see what he has in front of him is actually pretty freaking amazing.”

I stopped and stared at him. “I don't even know why I'm talking to you about this, we just met.”

He chuckled. “Best friends remember? Besides, I care about you. I just want to make sure you're happy.”

“Yeah well, right now I'm not.” I said as i went to go skate over to the bench.

Before I could get where I'm going, I hit a divit in the ice and start to fall.

Before I hit the ice, I felt 2 arms catch me.

When I look up, I saw Carl staring into my eyes, our faces close.

I felt my heart skip a beat and then beat faster as he got closer.

I shook my head and pushed him away.

“I'm sorry, this-this whole thing was a mistake.” I stuttered as I rushed off the ice.

I could hear him calling my name as I hurried to get far away from him as possible.