Days of Black and Gold

Ghosts of All the Things I've Done

“This is where I leave you,” Sidney said, pointing to a door. “That’s where you need to go. I would say be kind, but what the hell do I care?”

Chuckling, I gave him a peck on the lips and made my way to the door. Drawing in a deep breath, I knocked loudly, certain that they wouldn’t be able to hear it through the noise and music.

“Margot? Is that you?”

I turned, finding myself face to face with one of the assistant coaches. “Yeah, is it okay if I step in for a few minutes? No treatments, just a quick chat.”

“Does this have anything to do with the tabloids?”

“Maybe, but I also want to say good luck.”

“Come on, then,” he grinned, pushing through the door. “Guys!”

Instantly, the chatter stopped.

“You have a special guest before tonight’s game. Please be kind to her, as I’m sure she still loves you all.”

“Thanks,” I muttered as he pulled me out from around the corner. “Hey, guys.”

“Bold move, Fayne,” Braden Holtby chided from the locker next to me.

“Don’t I know it,” I grimaced. “Look, I know you’ve all seen the papers, and if you haven’t, Ovi has been kind enough to tell you all about what was in them.”

“Guilty,” Alex laughed.

“Did you really start dating Sid the Kid?” T.J. Oshie asked.

“Yeah, I did. It’s very new, but I’m enjoying it.”

“What about that chick you brought to Christmas last season?” Braden mused.

“We split.” I caught Alex’s eye, and instantly knew he had kept our break up a secret. “I guess she was over it.”

“Not important,” Alex spoke. “Crosby makes you happy?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “I think so.”

“Good enough,” he shrugged.

“Well, in that case, good luck out there. I might be sitting with the Pens fans, but I’ll silently be cheering for you lot.” Without another word, I exited the locker room, confused as to how Alex had been so cool about the news.

“Maggie?”

Recognising the Russian voice, I spun on my heel to face him. “I should have said something earlier.”

“No, it’s fine. Does he know about Robin?”

“Please don’t say anything,” I pleaded, glancing around. “He just found out about the cigarettes, he might actually die if he found out I swing for both teams.”

“You keep too many secrets,” Alex sighed.

“I know,” I agreed. “I should let you get back to the locker room.”

“No,” Alex argued. “You have to say something soon. Crosby maybe not be favourite, but he is a nice guy. Don’t ruin next love because you are foolish.”

I stared at him as he walked away. I was shocked by his words, but somehow knew he was right. How could he not be? He had managed to catch himself a gorgeous woman, so he must have some kind of knowledge on the subject.

Realising that I was gaping at a closed door, I decided to go up and find my seat. I knew that Catherine and her son would be there, giving me a great opportunity to talk through what Alex had said to me.

“Hey, girl!” Catherine waved. “How are you?”

“Good,” I said, unconvincingly.

“Would you like to try that again?” She laughed. “Perhaps with a bit more enthusiasm this time.”

“Sid and I slept together,” I whispered, still feeling as if I was in a trance.

“Was it that bad?” She asked, frowning.

“Oh, God, no,” I gasped. “It was amazing. It’s been so long since I’ve experienced anything like that. Believe me, there was nothing bad about it.”

“Then what?”

“His parents showed up this morning, while he was at practice.”

“That must have been a surprise.”

“I almost passed out, I was so anxious. His dad took me outside for a smoke.”

“Sid came home, didn’t he?”

“Yeah, so that ended up being a great discussion.” I rolled my eyes for emphasis on the sarcasm. “And I was just down in the Caps locker room. They all heard about Sid and I.”

“Shit, Margot.”

“I assumed they would have. The amount of pictures taken last night, one was bound to fall into someone’s hands. Anyway, that all seems to be fine.”

“Something isn’t though.”

“Ovi caught me when I was leaving. He’s been a really great confidant since he met Robin.”

“Who’s Robin?”

“Uh, my ex-fiancée.”

“Got it. So, what did he say?”

“He basically just wanted to know how much Sid knows about my past.”

“He won’t say anything, will he? I mean, that makes for great trash talk.”

“He won’t. I’ve asked him not to, but he said I can’t leave it much longer. I’m sure that he thinks word will get out somehow, and it will be better if I tell him, rather than hearing it from a guy on the ice or something.”

“He’s got a point, Margot. It would be worse if Sid heard from some player that his girlfriend used to have a girlfriend.”

“Things are just moving so fast,” I confessed. “I haven’t had this much anxiety since I finished my first degree. I’m terrified.”

“Have you talked to him?”

“Sid or Ovi?”

“Sid, Dingo,” she laughed, nudging my arm. “Why would I care about Ovechkin?”

I shrugged, and looked around. “I need a beer.”

“I’ll take that as a no,” she smirked with a raised brow. “Let’s get a drink.”

“Where’s Alex?”

“Kris’ parents are here. He’s sitting with them.”

“Oh,” I murmured, standing and following her to the beer stand.

“Just one?”

“Just one,” I nodded. “I don’t really need to drink enough to spill my life story to the man.”

“Maybe you do,” Catherine suggested. “It might be easier.”

“For me, sure. For him, definitely not. What if he thinks I’m a liar when I drink? That’s not helping anyone. What do you think he’ll say?”

“He might break up with you.”

I groaned, knowing she was right. I hadn’t met a lot of people who were alright with my choices. In my opinion, I had gotten lucky with Robin. “I love when things end before they get a chance to get going.”

“He might not care.”

“The face of hockey might not care?” I snorted. “Even if he didn’t, the league and the papers would have a heyday with it. I can see the headlines now. Crosby Conundrum! Or Sidney’s Lesbian Lover.”

“Do you know anyone else in the league who might say something?”

“I know a couple of guys, but they won’t say anything.”

“You’re sure about that?”

“We hung out and stuff in high school, but I don’t think that they know I had a girlfriend for five years.”

“Maybe it’s worth getting in touch with them, you know, just in case.”

“I don’t even know how I would do that,” I said, lowering my voice as a few people sat around us. “I never really stayed in touch with them after they left Calgary. Plus, they play out in the West, so they won’t be seeing the Pens often.”

“Who do you know that plays in the West?” Catherine questioned in a surprised voice.

“Michael Stone and Martin Jones.”

“Oh my, you’re such a baby! I never would have guessed.”

“Uh, thanks,” I chuckled, taken aback by the comment. “I’m twenty-six. I really don’t know how much older you could have thought I would be.”

“I assumed you were our age,” she confessed with a shrug. “Sid never said anything.”

“I’m not surprised by that. I feel like you would have had to ask him specific questions to get an answer about my age.”

“You’ll have to celebrate in Pittsburgh when you turn twenty-seven. This is not what we should be talking about though.”

“Back to Martin and Michael,” I laughed. “I don’t know how I would even get ahold of them. There is no way they still have the same phone numbers, and I don’t feel like travelling out to Arizona or Cali.”

“Are they going to be in Washington anytime soon?”

“I’d have to check the schedule. I can’t remember if they’ve been there yet.”

“It might be your best bet. Sneak over and have a quick chat.”

“If not, do I really have anything to worry about? They have probably already played the Pens, if they have seen the Caps.”

“The playoffs are coming up in the next couple months. What happens if they end up meeting?”

“In the finals?” I raised a brow. “I’m hoping to have told him by then.”

“And if you haven’t?”

“Fine, fine,” I sighed, leaning back in the seat. “You’ve convinced me. I’ll find a way to talk to them.”