Days of Black and Gold

Dear Seventy Degrees and Sunny

“I got you a dress,” Sidney announced, entering the bathroom.

“That wasn’t necessary,” I responded, wrapping my hair around the curling iron. “I brought a dress.”

“I think you’ll like this one,” he grinned, watching me through the mirror. “Your hair looks nice like that, by the way.”

“Thanks,” I smiled, making eye contact as I released the curl. “You look good in a suit.”

Before I could get another curl started, he spun me around and kissed my lips, hard.

“Sid,” I breathed as he pulled away. “We don’t have time.”

“I know,” he muttered, releasing me and stepping back so he was in the doorway. “Will you be much longer?”

“Let me finish these last couple of curls, then I’ll be out. I should probably put on makeup, but I want to see the dress first.”

“I’ll be out here when you’re done.”

I nodded, and wrapped more hair around the hot iron. My nerves were high, especially since Sidney mentioned that we would have to walk the red carpet and talk to the press.

“How does it look?” I asked, finishing my hair by ruffling it. I turned and exited the room to find Sidney relaxing on the bed. “It’s not too much, is it?”

“Definitely not,” he shook his head. “This is for you.”

“How did you keep this hidden away?” I gawked, holding the light grey dress at arms length. “They are going to be able to see my back, Sid.”

“I don’t care.”

“Alright,” I muttered, dropping the towel I had wrapped around me and stepping into the dress. I pulled the crocheted lace over my shoulders, checking that the sweetheart neckline underneath covered my breasts. I was glad he had chosen something with a maxi skirt, as I wasn’t one hundred percent sold on the idea of people seeing my ink. “Can you help me?” I turned to allow Sidney to hook the clasps above the open back.

“You look amazing,” Sidney purred, kissing my neck.

“I feel amazing,” I told him, spinning to face him. “Thank you so much, Sid. I love the dress.”

“I’m so glad,” he grinned, widely, placing his hands on my hips. “I was worried I got the wrong size or something.”

I smiled, and escaped his arms. “Give me a few minutes.” Entering the bathroom once again, I pulled out my eyeliner and mascara. After applying a thin layer of each, I stared at myself in the mirror, and drew in a deep breath. I grabbed a tube on pale pink lipstick and spread it across my lips.

“Almost finished,” I muttered, standing up straight. Drawing the gold band from my makeup bag, I slipped it onto my right hand. “I’ve got to stop wearing this.”

“You ready?” Sidney asked, knocking.

I opened the door, beaming at the man. “Will this suffice?”

“You are so much more than adequate,” Sidney whispered, pecking my cheek. “We have to go, before we are late.”

I slipped into a pair of strappy heels and followed the man down the hall and out of the hotel.

We darted into a black sedan, which I was sure Sidney had ordered well in advance, and stayed silent for the quick drive.

As we exited the vehicle, flashes interrupted my sight. “Sidney,” I whispered, suddenly feeling overwhelmed. “Sid, I don’t think I can do this.”

“You will be fine,” he promised, squeezing my hand. “Just remember to breath. They might ask us to pose, so they can take pictures, but most of the questions should be directed at me.”

I nodded, and removed my hand from his, so I could intertwine our arms. I threw on my best smile as people started shouting Sidney’s name. The walk seemed to blur by, as Sidney took control, stopping and wrapping an arm around my waist between chats with different journalists.

“You’ve done this a lot,” I muttered, as we escaped from the crowd outside.

“It takes some practice,” he chuckled, taking my hand once again and leading me into the theatre. “I never truly got used to it.”

“You come off very suave,” I complimented, reaching up to kiss his cheek.

“Margot Fayne, is that you?”

My head snapped in the direction of the new voice. “Martin Jones,” I grinned, giving the man a tight squeeze.

“It’s been, what, six or seven years?”

“About that,” I nodded. “Sid, you must know Martin.”

“I do,” he nodded, shaking the man’s hand. “Good to see you again.”

“Martin and I went to high school together,” I explained.

“I never thought you’d end up dating Sidney Crosby,” he smirked.

“I never thought you’d make it to the NHL,” I joked. “Yet, here you are.”

“Watch out for that sass, Sidney. That’s one thing she hasn’t lost since we met.”

I rolled my eyes and patted his chest. “We have to go sit down. Kris and Cath are waiting for us. Can I catch up with you at the after party?”

“You got it,” Martin agreed, turning back to Sidney. “Take care of her, yeah?”

“I will,” Sidney smirked, shaking his hand again. “And thank you.”

“What?” Martin frowned, as Sidney moved on.

I pulled the man into another hug, and whispered in his ear. “He knows about the camping trip.” Pulling away, I winked and hurried to catch up with Sidney.

“You knew right away, didn’t you?”

“There was a look in your eyes,” Sidney told me, taking my hand and leading me down an aisle. “The same look I’m sure is in mine when I see the girl I lost my virginity to.”

“It’s been such a long time since I’ve seen him. I don’t know why I thought he wouldn’t be here.”

“He took the team to the cup for the second year in a row.”

“I know,” I groaned, embarrassed.

“Who’s that?” Catherine asked, as we sat down next to her.

“Martin Jones.”

“Your high school friend?”

“How does she know that?” Sidney wondered.

“We got talking about other people I knew in the league,” I explained, hoping he wouldn’t probe much further.

“Does she know-”

“No,” I cut off. “No one knows.”

“Oh, do tell,” Catherine smirked.

“Cath, do you really have to gossip?” Kris appeared, sitting on the other side of her, and handed her a glass of red wine.

“It’s not gossip if it is coming from the bird’s mouth.”

“You could say, Martin and I had a fling after high school.” The words were hushed as the master of ceremonies started his spiel.

“I want to hear more about that,” Catherine said, wiggling her eyebrows.

“Later, my friend, later.”