Days of Black and Gold

It Sounds Like a Lie When You Say It

“Tell me,” his voice whispered through the phone. “What is your family like?”

“My family?” I laughed, placing my diet cola on the table next to me and reclining my chair. “Why do you want to know about my family?”

Most of our phone calls went the same way. He would ask a question, I would question his curiosity and eventually he would bamboozle an answer out of me. Over the month we had been talking, I had shared enough about my work life that I was sure he could write a biography about it.

“I’ve asked about your professional life, but I’d like to know more about your personal life.”

“Alright,” I agreed, pulling at the hem of my workout shorts. I wasn't sure why, but I felt the need to cover my bare legs. “Pappy used to be a firefighter, but retired a few years back. He really loved it, but it was getting to hard on his body. Mom teaches. She's always been with the older grades, but since I left for Washington, she's dropped down to the youngsters. I think she misses having me around.”

“Do they still live in Calgary?”

“Well, Mom does, but Pappy hasn't lived there since I was in kindergarten.”

“Sorry, Margot,” his voice immediately saddened. “I didn't know.”

“Honestly, Sid, don't even worry about it. My parents were never really a couple, and they were never married. It was tough when I was younger, since I never truly understood, but I get it now. I mean, they didn’t even live in the same house when I was a kid.”

“I’m confused.”

I let out a heavy sigh. Telling the story was never my favourite thing to do, but I knew he wouldn’t let up. “Mom and Pappy were best friends in university. I suppose they still are now. Anyway, when Mom finished, she found out she didn’t have a lot of time before she couldn’t have a family.

“Apparently, she started looking at her options, and she decided having a baby before getting her career started was what she wanted to do. Pappy fully supported her, and offered up his sperm. That couldn’t have been easy, even though he swears there was never a doubt in his mind.

“From what I've been told, my grandparents on Pappy's side were all for it, and even offered to help pay for the procedure. Mom’s parents weren't as delighted, but came around as I started to grow in her uterus.”

“You know you don’t have to use medical terminology around me, right?” The sound of disgust accented his voice.

Chuckling, I grabbed my can of diet cola and swirled it around. “Maybe my goal is to disgust you.”

“You have started out strong, my friend.”

“Anyway, Mom got her baby, and Pappy got to live his life as he pleased. That’s not to say he didn’t love me or take care of me. He was a huge part of my growing up, but he didn’t help Mom so he could have a child, so Mom never put any responsibility on him.”

“So, your Dad moved away?”

“He met his now husband when he was doing some training out in Ontario. That was when I was three or four Mom says. A year or so later he moved to Ontario and started firefighting there.

“He would visit at least once a year, and more often when he could. He even had me be a part of his wedding.”

“Wait, so your Dad is gay?”

“Oh, shoot, did I not mention that earlier? That’s why Mom had IVF. She didn’t want to put Pappy in an awkward situation.”

“Everything makes a tonne more sense now,” he laughed. “I was wondering why your grandparents paid for a procedure, but now I get it.”

“I am the worst story teller,” I groaned in embarrassment.

“You’re not that bad.”

“Thanks,” I grumbled, as the front door of my apartment clicked. A smile spread across my face as a distraught woman entered the living room. “What more could you want to know?”

“Who are you talking to?” The woman mouthed, handing me her lit cigarette.

“An acquaintance," I muttered, taking a drag from her offering.

"What about significant others?"

At the words, I started coughing uncontrollably.

"Shit, sorry, Margot. Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I wheezed, taking a sip of what little pop I had left. "Just choked a bit. You got personal real quick, and it caught me off guard."

"Sorry," he said again. "You don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable."

"It's not that," I assured him. "I don't mind the questions, and I can usually read where conversations are going. With you, I can't."

"I'm not sure whether to apologise or not."

"You didn't do anything wrong, so why would you apologise?"

"Good point."

"Hey, can I call you tomorrow?" I asked, noticing the woman pacing in front of me. "Something came up, and I should probably deal with it now before it gets out of hand."

"Sure, we have a game, but I'll let you know when it's done."

"Thanks, Sid." Without another word, I hung up and watched the tall brunette's movements. "What's going on with you? You've been acting weird all month, and now you look like you're about ready to shit yourself."

"I have to go," she blurted.

"What? You just got here." I dropped the remainder of the cigarette in my can and hopped out of the recliner.

"Not like that," she shook her head, managing to avoid my eyes.

"Then what?"

"I packed my shit earlier today, and moved it back to my place."

"Give it to me straight, Robbie."

"I need space."

"From your fiancée." I didn't form it as a question. I already knew that was what she was getting at.

"I'm really sorry, Mag."

"Why?" I had no idea what else to ask.

"You've been preoccupied this past month," she started, igniting a fire inside me.

"Don't even think about blaming me," I snarled. "You started acting all sneaky earlier than a month ago, Robin. I know you think you can pin it on my phone calls with Sid, but we both know this started before the calls."

"So, it's Sid now?" She shouted, throwing her arms in the air. "Who is this Sid?"

"Oh, no you don't," I argued, walking over to her. "You are not changing the subject. You are the one leaving, so just tell me why!"

"I just need a breather," she sighed. "I don't want to break it off, I just want to collect my thoughts."

"Fine," I huffed, turning and heading down the hall. "Collect whatever the fuck you want. I have to get ready for work."

As I changed into a pair of beige slacks and my black Capitals polo, I considered calling Sidney again. Instead, I pulled out my phone and dialled a separate number.

"What can I do you for?"

"God, why do you answer the phone like that?"

"It irritates you."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my lotion bag from my office. "Can you cover for me? I'm running a bit late. Huge fight with the fiancée."

"Cat fight," he said, with an inevitable smirk. "I like that."

"Fuck off," I growled. "I have to go. I'll be here as soon as I can."

Hanging up the phone, I maneuvered my way to the front door, ignoring the fact that Robin was still pacing in the living room. I resisted the urge to slam the door as I left, and hurried to my old Rav4. It wasn't often that I was late, but every time I was, it was due to Robin and me fighting.

As I threw the SUV in reverse, my phone buzzed from the seat next to me. Sighing, I popped the vehicle back into park and grabbed the device. A smile hit my lips as I read the request from the Penguin's captain. Typing a response, I tossed the phone back onto the seat, backed out of my parking space and sped off in the direction of the rink.