Days of Black and Gold

Kicking Back, Cutting Loose

“Mom certainly has a grudge against you,” Taylor chuckled, taking a couple of plates of banana cream pie. “What did you do?”

“I’m not sure that it was something specific,” I mumbled, grabbing a couple more plates. “What did she say about the first time we met?”

“Said that some woman was in Sid’s house.”

“Oh, good,” I groaned. “I didn’t know they were coming, and wasn’t dressed totally appropriately.”

“Sort of like today?”

“Sort of like today.”

We made our way back out to the yard, and placed dessert in front of the three waiting at the table.

I winked at Sidney, before excusing myself back into the house to grab the last plate. As I made my way back down to the table, I could tell that there was a heated conversation happening. I was sure that it had something to do with me, and decided to walk a bit slower, avoiding any embarrassment.

“I’m not jumping into this, Mom. I spent a lot of time getting to know Margot before I asked her out. We spent the week and a half together, and it really just confirmed my feelings for her. If you would just get to know her, I’m sure you’d like her.”

“Sidney, darling, I support you, but I’m just not sure about this one. What was wrong with Emily? She was such a sweet girl.”

“She slept with one of the Flyers while I was on a road trip.”

“That can’t be true.”

“Mom, she cheated on me. She didn’t even bother covering it up.”

“I just don’t know about this girl. She seems a bit mysterious, like she’s keeping things from you. Not to mention the trouble with Alexander Ovechkin.”

“Can’t you be happy for me?”

“I am happy for you, Sidney.”

“How’s the pie?” I asked in an attempt to announce myself.

“It’s amazing!” Taylor gushed, licking her lips. “I can’t believe you made this.”

“I dabble in the kitchen a little bit,” I muttered, bashfully. “I moved out straight after high school, so had to learn pretty quickly.”

“What made you move?” Troy asked, biting into his pie.

“I wanted to be more independent throughout university. Mom lived pretty close, so if I was having a lot of trouble, or struggling to make meals while studying, I could always stop by.”

“What is it that you do, again?” Trina questioned.

“I was doing massage therapy for the Capitals, but I am also registered as a kinesiologist. It’ll be a good back up, if I can’t find anything massage therapy wise.”

“Are you excited about Pittsburgh?” Taylor quizzed.

“I’m a little bit terrified,” I admitted. “I’ve only ever moved some place completely new once before. I didn’t really know anyone when I moved to Washington, and that was scary. At least this time I’ll have Sid, and know a few of the players and their wives.”

Sidney squeezed my hand and smiled. “Marc and Vero were very happy to finally meet you at the awards after party. I guess Cath has been talking about you a lot.”

“Leave it to Cath,” I chuckled, as a shiver ran down my back.

“You alright?” Sidney asked, clearly noticing my suddenly discomfort.

“I’m just a bit chilly.”

“Let’s retire to the living room,” Troy suggested, collecting some of the dishes.

Sidney followed suit, kissing my forehead on his way past me.

“You have my brother whipped,” Taylor laughed, as we grabbed the few dishes left over.

“I don’t know about that,” I grinned, walking with her to the house. “I’m definitely happy with him.”

“I don’t want to jinx it, but I hope it lasts. You would make a really cool sister-in-law.”

“Woah,” I grimaced. “We are not even close to talking about marriage.”

“But you’re moving into his house, right?”

“Yes.”

“I would like to think that means you’ll be thinking about the future soon.”

“That’s a nice thought, but I really don’t want to rush into anything.”

“What’s this?” Sidney asked as we entered the kitchen.

“I was telling Margot about how great it would be for her to be my sister-in-law.”

“Th-That, uh, that’s not really something we’re discussing,” Sidney stammered.

“I’m not suggesting tomorrow, Sid. I’m thinking in a few year’s time.”

“That will be a discussion for some other time,” Sidney assured her. “And if I’m thinking about proposing, you will be one of the first to know.”