Days of Black and Gold

Two Young Hearts

“Margot?”

A light tap came from the door, but I didn’t react. Too many emotions to comprehend where bubbling inside of me. Thoughts flooded my mind, making it feel impossible to speak.

“Margot.” Sidney called, knocking again. “You’ve been in the bathroom for the past twenty minutes. Are you okay?”

“I-” My voice broke, and I stared down at my hands.

“Margot,” he repeated, cracking the door. His eyes fell on me, and his features softened.

“Sid,” I whispered, tears welling in my eyes as I looked over at him. “I’m pregnant.”

“Sorry?”

A sob escaped my lips, as realization hit the both of us.

“How is that possible?” He muttered, making his way over to me and kneeling in front. “We were so careful. Between the condoms and your birth control-”

“Birth control?” My head shot up and I stared into the deep hazel eyes on my boyfriend. “I’ve never been on birth control. Didn’t I tell you?”

“I don’t think so,” he frowned. “Why aren’t you on birth control? You have been in other relationships, haven’t you?”

“I have,” I nodded, wiping the water from my face. “But I never needed it.”

“Okay, so no birth control. We’ve worn a condom every time.”

“Yeah,” I agreed before sudden realization. “Except for on the dock.”

“Shit,” he breathed.

“What are we going to do?” I asked, tears emerging once again. “We’ve only been dating for seven months, Sid.”

“We also love each other.”

“Is that enough to bring a baby into this world?”

“I’d like to think so,” Sidney nodded, removing the pregnancy test and taking my hands. “Let’s get you a nice mug of chamomile tea, and we can talk more.”

“How are you so calm?” I muttered, letting him pull me up from the toilet.

“I don’t know that it has sunk in yet,” he replied, leading me through the house to the kitchen.

“I-I’m so s-sorry,” I sputtered, sitting down and dropping my head into my hands.

“Margot,” Sidney rushed over and sat next to me, rubbing my back. “You’ve done nothing wrong. Pregnancies happen all the time.”

I peered at him through my fingers and sniffled. “Those people are usually years into their relationship, or married.”

“We’re not there yet.”

“Are we ready for a kid?”

“Probably not.”

“That’s reassuring,” I mumbled, taking his hand.

“Come on, Margot,” he sighed. “I never thought I’d be a parent this soon. I’m sure you feel the same way.”

“What if I’m an awful mom?”

“What?” He chuckled. “You’ll be an excellent mom. Does this mean you want to have this baby?”

“I don’t know, Sid.” I stared down at our intertwined fingers. “I don’t know how to handle this. I never expected to have children. With Mom’s medical history, I just assumed it wasn’t an option. Until now, I guess.”

“Do you want kids?”

“Yeah, I mean, I love kids. When I was hanging out with Cath and Alex, I had a blast. He’s such a lively boy, but he wasn’t a baby.” I cocked my head at him and frowned. “Why do I get the feeling you want to have this baby?”

“I don’t think I could put my son or daughter up for adoption.”

“You know that’s not what I was implying.”

“An abortion is your decision,” he said, so quietly I wasn’t sure he had spoken.

“This is our decision, Sidney. I need to know where you stand because when I tell you that I don’t think I can go through with having a doctor pull a baby out of me prematurely, I can’t have you angry and wishing that I had one.”

“That would never happen,” he smiled, caressing my cheek. “So, does this mean we are having a baby?”

“This means we’re having a baby.”

He kissed my cheek, and went back to the water he had been getting ready for tea. “I guess we should tell our parents.”

“And the team,” I reminded him.

“Right,” he mumbled, bumbling around the kitchen. “The team. How long until you’re showing?”

“Well, the dock was, what, end of July?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s September now, so maybe another month?”

“We should probably tell them before that.”

“How about this?” I offered, standing and walking over him. I wrapped my arms around his waist and kissed his back. “We call our parents today, and we can tell the boys after the first trimester. It would be nice to see the doctor prior to telling the boys.”

“I can get on board with that.” He turned in my arms and wrapped his around me. “We should call your parents first. Maybe give mine a call after training camp.”

“You really don’t want to tell them, do you?”

“It’s not at the top of my list,” he confessed.

“They’ll find out one way or another, Sid, so we might as well tell them.”

“Now, you’re being so calm. Are you not terrified how they will react?”

“I am, but it’s Mom and Pappy. They love me and support me, no matter what. Your parents love you and support you, too.”

“I know.”

“Come on,” I smiled, reaching up and kissing his lips. “We’ll call my mom, then we’ll call Pappy, and we can go from there.”