Days of Black and Gold

This Is Real Life in the Real World

“I’ll give you two a few minutes.” The doctor’s voice sounded faint as she left the room.

My hand had fallen from Sidney’s grip in shock. Thoughts and questions were forming too rapidly for me to comprehend, as the doctor’s words echoed.

“Did she say twins?” Sidney whispered from next to me.

I turned my head and stared at his vacant eyes. “Yeah,” I managed.

“I have to go,” he muttered, standing up. “Late. Practice. Bye.”

“What?” I exclaimed, watching him briskly leave the room. As the door clicked closed again, I looked down at my belly and sighed. “We came together.”

“Ms Fayne? Mr Cros-” The doctor looked around the room and frowned. “Should we wait for Mr Crosby?”

“Uh, no,” I shook my head. “He had to go to practice.”

“Alright,” she nodded. “I take it you two weren’t expecting two.”

“Just wrapping our head around one was hard enough.”

“Two is special in itself. I’m going to have you book another ultrasound for next month and December.”

“Why? When we saw you last month to confirm the pregnancy you said there would ideally be two ultrasounds.”

“With twins, we want to make sure that everything is going according to plan, that the babies are healthy and growing.”

“Okay,” I agreed. “Do you have pamphlets I can bring home? I know Sid is going to ask a million questions.”

“Of course,” she laughed, knowing that I was right about Sidney. “I’ll leave a few with the receptionist.”

“Thanks,” I smiled, standing up and slipping on my jacket.

“I have to get to another patient, but you have my number if you have any questions or concerns.” She turned and went to leave the room. “I’ll see you again in four weeks.”

Pulling out my phone, I sent a quick message to Catherine, asking if she was free to drive me home. I made my way to the front desk, and waited for the receptionist to finish with her phone call.

“Ms Fayne, right?”

“Margot, please.”

“Of course, Margot. Doctor Addison left these for you, and said four weeks?”

“Please,” I nodded, glancing down as my phone buzzed. Relief washed over as I saw Catherine’s response. “Around the same time would be great.”

“Sure,” she grinned, typing away at her computer. “We only have an opening on the Wednesday for this time.”

“Sign me up.”

She typed again, and quickly wrote the date and time on a business card. “There you are, Margot. We’ll see you again next month.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled, tucking the card in my bag before leaving the office.

The elevator ride to the main floor seemed slower than usual, but I was happy when the door pinged open. I noticed Catherine’s car just outside the doors, and rushed over to it.

“Thank you for picking me up,” I said, maneuvering my body into the passenger seat. “Sid just got up and left.”

“That’s not like him.”

“He said he was late for practice, but I have a feeling that wasn’t the reason he left.”

“Everyone knew he was going to be late. Last night he told the team multiple times that you had your first ultrasound.”

“At least he made it to the appointment,” I grumbled, staring out the window.

“Is everything alright? The baby is healthy?”

“Everything is fine,” I smiled, turning back to look at her. “We found out we are having twins.”

“Really?”

“Would I really make that up?” I chuckled.

“I guess not. I can see why he left you behind. That’s hard to get your head around.”

“You’re telling me,” I sighed. “At least it explains the speed in which my belly grew.”

“It’s too bad your pregnant. With news like that, I’d take you day drinking.”

“Let’s go shopping instead. I’ve been pretty stingy with my money since moving here, and I have nothing that will fit over these two.”

“I love maternity shopping!” Catherine exclaimed, turning in the direction of a shopping center. “You’ll need something amazing for the Christmas party.”

“That’s a few months away,” I laughed. “I was thinking more along the lines of American Thanksgiving. Phil’s hosting, right?”

“I believe so.”

“Does Sid ever host anything?”

“From time to time,” she shrugged, pulling into a parking spot. “I think a lot of the other guys like to do it so he doesn’t have to worry about it. Like that makes sense.”

“I’ll have to see what he wants to host,” I said, thoughtfully, as I boosted myself from the car. “Speaking of Sid.”

“He’s calling during practice?” Catherine raised her brows as I hit the green button.

“Hello, Sidney.”

“I’m so sorry, Margot. I just realized I left you at the doctor’s office. I was in so much shock; I honestly wasn’t thinking straight.”

“Sid, Babe, it’s okay.”

“It’s not okay, Margot. I’ll come get you right away.”

“Catherine picked me up,” I explained, hoping it would calm him down. “We are going shopping for a bit. I’ll see you back at home once we’re done.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Sidney, I am sure.” I rolled my eyes in Catherine’s direction. “Go back to practice. We’ll chat about the appointment when I get home.”

“You told her?”

“Of course I did. I had to explain why I was left behind.”

“Shit,” he groaned. “I’m so sorry, Margot, you have to believe me.”

“Sidney, it is fine. I probably would have done the same thing if I was in your position.”

“You were in my position.”

“I didn’t have to be at the rink, and I can’t move as quickly as you.”

“I feel awful.”

“Honestly, Sidney, everything is fine. Go tell the team the good news.” I quickly hung up before he could argue. “I really need some retail therapy."