Days of Black and Gold

May the Simple Thing Be Amazing

“You sure you want to come out tonight?”

“Is there something I should know?”

“No, no. I was just thinking about how close to due date you are. Are you sure being in large arena filled with people is such a good idea?”

“Doc gave me two more weeks, Anna. I will be perfectly fine.”

“If you're sure, Margot. Do you want to go over with me?”

“I have to head home for a bit. My cab should be here shortly and there are some things I need to take care of before watching the boys again.”

“Do you need help?”

“No, no, that’s fine. It’s mostly just house work, then I have to change.”

“Will you come down to see team again?”

“You know I’d love to, but is it really a good idea? You saw the way Sidney treated me last time, it really cannot get any better.”

“Who care about Sid?”

“Uh, me?” I chuckled. “No matter how he treats me, I definitely still love the man.”

“I know,” she laughed, walking me to the door. “I feel same way about Geno.”

“That’s when you know it’s real, right?”

“Yes,” she grinned. “I’ll see you soon, Margot.”

As I got to the curb, my taxi pulled in front of me.

“You Margot?”

“That’s right,” I nodded, cringing at the slight pain that ran through my belly. Deciding to ignore it, I crawled into the back seat and gave the man my address.

“Have you been having a good day?”

‘Chatty,’ I thought, sending him a forced smile as he pulled away from the house. “It’s been alright.”

“Are you going to the game tonight?”

“I was planning on it,” I stated, glancing out the window.

“Pens are on a winning streak.”

“Shit!” My eyes shot closed as another pain hit me.

“Sorry, ma’am. I didn’t realise you weren’t a Penguins fan.”

“It’s not that,” I muttered. “I need to go to the hospital.”

“Sorry?”

“Can you take me to Magee’s?”

“That’s in the opposite direction.”

“Look, if you don’t take me to Magee’s, I am going to deliver two babies in the back seat of your cab.” I drew in a deep breath. “That’s not something I want, and I won’t be paying for the cleaning. So, please, take me to Magee’s.”

“You got it.”

As he pulled a U-turn, I dialed an all too familiar number, and placed the phone to my ear.

“You’ve reached Sidney, leave a message.”

“Hey, I doubt you’ll listen to this, but I’m on my way to Magee’s. I think the babies are coming.” Hanging up, I sent him a text message, hoping he would see it.

The rest of the ride was spent trying to control my breathing.

“Do you need any help?” The driver asked, pulling in front of the hospital.

“I’ll be okay,” I told him, handing over some cash and pushing myself out of the vehicle.

“Let me at least help you inside.”

“Uh, yeah, fine,” I mumbled, allowing the man to wrap an arm around my waist and lead me into the building.

“Can I help you?” The receptionist glanced up at me.

“I think I’m in labour,” I said with a cringe.

“What’s you name?”

“Margot Fayne.”

“Let’s get you a wheelchair and a room, Mrs Fayne.”

“I’ve been seeing Dr Addison. Is she in tonight?”

“She’s not, but I’ll let her know you’re here.”

“Thank you,” I said, lowering myself into the chair the cab driver brought over to me. “Thank you for your help, Sir. The Pans game must make you busy.”

“It does,” he nodded, turning to leave. “Congratulations, by the way.”

I smiled, and moved my attention back to the receptionist.

“Do you not have someone with you?”

“I haven’t been able to get ahold of their father, yet,” I confessed, taking the clipboard she handed me. “I have a few other people I need to try calling.”

“I see,” she murmured, fingers typing quickly at the keys. “It says here that your emergency contact is Sidney Crosby.”

“He is,” I nodded, filling out the form in front of me. “He’s a hard person to contact pre-game.”

“Would you like us to keep trying?”

“No, that’s fine. I’ll call their coach or something, and he’ll let Sidney know.”

“Alright,” she shrugged, taking the clipboard from me. “This is Nurse Thompson. She’ll take you to your room. If you change your mind about contacting Mr Crosby, just let us know.”

“I will,” I agreed, as the chair started to move. Staring at the walls as we moved, I tried to ignore the next contraction.

“This is you,” Nurse Thompson grinned, stopping me next to the bed. “Let’s get you lying down.”

With her help, I stood from the wheelchair and sat on the bed before bringing my legs up. “Will it be long before the doctor comes to see me?”

“We’ll have someone check on you shortly, but we are hoping Dr Addison will be able to get here before you deliver.”

“Great!” I exclaimed, pulling my phone from my pocket. “Is it okay if I make a few calls?”

“That’s fine. I’ll be right back with some water.”

Once the woman left, I dialed Evgeni’s number, certain that he wouldn’t answer. “Geno, I’m at Magee’s. The babies are coming. When you get this, let Sidney know.”

I decided to leave a similar message for Kris before punching in Catherine’s number.

“Where are you, Margot? Anna said she just saw you. I know the game doesn’t start for another hour, but traffic is going to get crazy.”

“I won’t be there.”

“You’re joking. Anna said you insisted on coming.”

“I’m at the hospital.”

“Oh, shit, is everything okay?”

“It would be if these bloody contractions would stop,” I hissed.

“Did you call Sid?”

“No answer.”

“I’ll go downstairs right now.”

“Wait until the end of the game.”

“Margot, don’t be a bitch because he isn’t talking to you.”

“Fine,” I gave in. “Do what you have to. He won’t leave the game.”

“You never know, Margot.”

“Do me a favour?”

“Anything.”

“Bring my bag when you come to visit.”

“You didn’t bring it?”

“I wasn’t home.”

“I’ll make sure Kris detours on his way.”

“Thanks. Look, the doc just got here.”

“Good luck!”

Hanging up, I forced a smile in Dr Addison’s direction. “I didn’t think I’d see you this soon.”

“I was close by,” she laughed. “How are you?”

“Bitchy, according to my friend.”

“Well, you should prepare yourself for a lengthy process. It sounds like your contractions just started.”

“Maybe an hour ago.”

“We’ll get this monitor on, but it’s not likely you’ll be ready to push too soon. You have some time to just relax.”

“Can I put the game on?”

“Will you truly relax watching the game?” She raised a brow skeptically.

“Possibly,” I chuckled.

“I’ll let you watch it, but only because I know that’s what you would be doing if you hadn’t started having contractions.”

“Live would be much more intense.”

“I’m glad you are here then,” she smirked. “I can monitor you much better from the hospital bed than the arena seats.”

“I’d like to say there is no place I’d rather be, but that would be a huge lie.”

“In a few hours, you might be changing your tune, Ms Fayne.”

“I will not be arguing with that.”