Days of Black and Gold

But I Gave In

“Coming!” I hollered, rushing down the stairs of the townhouse with Georgina on my hip.

“I didn’t know you were entertaining.”

“I wasn’t planning on it, Pappy,” I said, as I moved past him and stopped at the door. “Is she eating?”

“She keeps trying to, but I don’t think she likes banana puree.”

“Perfect,” I muttered, pulling the door open. “Catherine!”

“You’re looking good,” she chuckled, looking me up and down.

“Who knew six month old twins would be so exhausting?” I moved to the side so she could enter. “What are you doing here? There isn’t a game tonight.”

“Can I not visit when there is no game?”

“Yes, of course,” I nodded. “Come on. Pappy is trying to feed Nichole in the kitchen.”

“Been having trouble?”

“Georgie’s been good,” I explained. “I feel like she eats all of the time, but Nichole will eat puree one day and won’t touch it the next day. At least she’s still drinking breast milk.”

“Margot, do you have any other flavor?”

“Yeah, in the fridge. Georgie’s keen on sweet potato, there should be some left. This is Catherine, by the way. Cath, this is my father, Greg.”

“Nice to meet you,” Catherine grinned. “Are you in Pittsburgh for long?”

“Maybe the next couple of days,” he shrugged, peering into the fridge and pulling out a jar of food. “It’s very nice to meet you, Catherine. How do you know Margot?”

“My husband plays for the same team as the twins’ father.”

“Ah, yes, the Penguins, right?”

“That’s correct.”

“What brings you around today?” I asked, placing Georgina into her high chair.

“Some of us ladies are going out tonight, and I wanted to invite you.”

“With a personal invitation?” I joked.

“It’s easier to convince you when we are face to face.”

“Tonight it won’t be,” I argued. “I really don’t think I should go out.”

“Why not?”

“I just think I should be home with the girls.”

“Excuses,” Greg coughed.

“Thank you, Pappy.”

“You haven’t been out in a long time, Margot. Maybe it’s time to take it easy. I’ll look after the girls.”

“Look at me, though,” I said, pushing a stray hair from my face. “I am a complete disaster. If Pappy wasn’t here, I’m pretty sure my last shower would have been a month ago.”

“Go upstairs and shower, Margot. Greg and I will finish feeding the girls while you get ready. Holler if you need help choosing an outfit.”

“Please don’t make me do this,” I whined, knowing she wasn’t about to take no for an answer.

“You have to,” Catherine demanded. “I have already told Vero and Anna that you will be there.”

“Where are we going?”

“We are going dancing. Look slutty.”

“Excuse me?” I raised a brow at her.

“Wear something low cut and short,” she reworded, sending an apologetic smile to my father. “We need to get you back out there. I know you don’t want to, but you need to move on.”

“How fancy is this place we are going?”

“It’s not, but dress nice. We are going to dance.”

“Fine,” I sighed, leaving the kitchen and heading up the stairs to my room. After pulling the baggy, stripped tee-shirt over my head, I stared at myself in the full length mirror. My hair was pulled into a top knot, with plenty of strands falling out, and my makeup was smudged around my eyes. To say the least, I looked rough.

I slipped out of my leggings and underwear before unhooking my bra and dropping it on my bed. Making my way to my ensuite, I turned on the shower and waited for steam to come billowing out. I let the water flow over me, immediately relieving my tension. All my concerns seemed to go down the drain with the hot water.

Once I finished bathing, I quickly dried myself off and wrapped the towel tightly around me. I outlined my eyes with black eye pencil before adding a couple layers of mascara. As I ventured back to my room, I stopped at the dresser, pulling out fresh underwear and a sexier bra.

“How’s it going?” Catherine asked, knocking on the door.

“I have no idea what to wear,” I groaned, pulling my undergarments on and heading to the door.

“At least you got it started,” Catherine laughed. “Do you want to wear a dress?”

“Not a chance,” I shook my head, as I shuffled through my dresser drawers. “What about these?” I turned and held up a pair of faux leather, high-waisted shorts.

“Those are short.”

“I thought that’s what you wanted,” I giggled, turning back to the dresser.

“I’m not saying no. I think those would be great. What do you usually wear with them?”

“A denim button-up,” I shrugged. “But I feel that won’t be acceptable, in your opinion.”

“You’ve got that right.”

“I have this lace tee-shirt.”

“Put it on,” she nodded, turning to my closet. “I’ll find you a pair of shoes.”

“Nothing too high,” I pleaded, stepping into the shorts and hauling them over my hips. “I want to be able to walk and dance without breaking anything.”

“You walk fine in heels.”

“When I have a chance to practice,” I countered, tugging the shirt over my head and tucking it into the shorts. “I haven’t worn heels in over a year.”

“Then these red ones should be perfect.”

“I haven’t worn those stilettos in years,” I gushed. “They used to be my favourite.”

“Used to be?” Catherine cocked her head. “Whish are your favourite now?”

“My sneakers,” I joked, taking the heels from her and grabbing my black clutch. “Did Georgie eat?”

“You weren’t kidding when you said she can eat.”

“I’m glad one of them does,” I grumbled, leading her back down to the kitchen. “Are you sure you’ll be alright here, Pappy?”

“Get out of here, Margot,” Greg laughed. “We will be fine.”

“Thank you, Pappy. Call if you need anything.”

“We won’t be calling,” he argued. “I used to take care of you when you were this age, I think I can do it again for a few hours. Besides, they will be heading off to bed soon, so you really have nothing to worry about.”

“Alright, alright. We’re going.” I grabbed the keys to my Rav4 before leading Catherine outside.

“Where’s your car?”

“Kris dropped me off.”

“Should I drive, then?”

“Are you not drinking?”

“I really shouldn’t,” I shook my head. “I’ll likely have to pump when I get home tonight, and don’t really want to waste the milk.”

“You are no fun.”

“I am a single mother of twins, Cath. I’m not meant to have fun.”

“Geez, Margot. Just get in and drive.”