Days of Black and Gold

Thought We Were over, Baby

Since starting with the Capitals, going out and dancing hadn’t really been my thing. I had always been concerned about meeting one of the team members out in the club, which was never a good thing, in my mind. Tonight’s worry stemmed from somewhere new, and seemed to grow as the night went on.

“I thought you said it would be just us ladies,” I said into Catherine’s ear as Kris led a group from the team into the large, dark club.

“It was supposed to be,” Catherine admitted, eyeing her husband curiously. “He must have liked the idea when I told him what we were up to.”

“Well, he certainly sold the idea,” I sighed, spotting Evening at the bar with another man, who I couldn’t quite make out. “Are there even this many babysitters in Pittsburgh? I swear, all of the Dads on the team are here.”

“I’m really sorry, Margot. I really just wanted to get you away from everything having to do with Sid.”

“Well, at least he isn't…” My voice trialled off as I realised who Evgeni was standing with. “Shit.”

“What?” Catherine raised a brow and followed my gaze. “Oh.”

“So much for having fun tonight.”

“Come on, Margot. Don’t let Sid being here ruin your night.”

“Easy for you to say. Your love is reciprocated, whereas mine is spurned.”

“It can’t be that bad.”

“He sends Geno to pick up and drop off the girls,” I groaned. “It doesn’t really get worse than that.”

“Just because he’s being a little bitch, doesn’t mean he gets to ruin your night,” Catherine stated.

“I guess you’re right,” I nodded, my eyes stopping on Sidney's hazel ones. Quickly diverting my stare, I grabbed Catherine’s hand and pulled her to the dance floor. “If I’m not going to be drinking, I might as well pretend I can dance.”

“That’s the spirit,” she laughed, as she started swinging her hips to the beat.

Several songs later, I ventured over to one end of the bar to retrieve a glass of water. I glanced around the room to find Sidney staring at me once again.

“You alright?” Catherine asked, standing next to me and studying my face.

“Yeah,” I nodded, tearing my eyes from the Nova Scotian. “I’m going to go outside to get some fresh air.”

“Alright, just don’t be gone long.”

“I’ll be back soon,” I promised, before turning and heading to the door. I sent a nod to the bouncer and skirted around the corner of the building. Leaning back against the brick, I closed my eyes and let out a slow breath. “Fucking hell.”

“Margot?”

“Shit,” I breathed, popping open an eye and glancing in the direction of the voice. “Don’t worry about the girls, Sidney. Pappy is in town and offered to babysit.”

“That wasn’t why I came out here.”

“I really don’t want to have a fight, either,” I sighed. “I came out to have a relaxing night, not create more tension.”

“I don’t want to fight, Margot.”

“Then why have you been watching me tonight? And why did you follow me outside?”

“I just wanted to talk.”

“You haven’t talked to me since we named the girls.”

“I-I didn’t know what to say,” he stammered, sheepishly.

“You could have at least made the effort,” I snapped. “You could have started by being the one to pickup your daughters when you looked after them.”

“It’s been hard, Margot.”

“Hard?” I exclaimed. “You think it’s only been hard on you?”

“No,” he whispered, looking down at the ground. “Please, just listen.”

“Fine.”

“When I left, after we named the girls, I told Geno I was going to find another way home, and started making my way back to your room to try to work this out.”

“Work what out?”

“Us.”

“What?” I gasped, suddenly feeling light headed.

“Those two and a half or three months before you had our daughters, I was so pissed at you. You kept a pretty big thing from me, and I was sure I’d never get over it. Then I saw you with the girls, and I knew the grudge I was holding was ridiculous.

“I thought about it a lot while I was at practice. I know I still love you, and I wanted to tell you that day.”

“But you didn’t,” I stated. “You waited six months instead?”

“I didn’t mean to,” he confessed. “I was heading back to see you, and saw that woman enter your room. Instead of going home, I stood outside and listened to what she had to say. I figured you wouldn’t want to hear something similar from me, so I went to leave, but Ovechkin came around the corner.”

“Did he see you?”

“I hid, sort of, and heard you tell the woman to go. When she did, I did, too. I didn’t want to hear what Ovechkin had to say.”

“Neither did I. I kicked him out.”

“I really want to give us another try.”

“It’s not that easy, Sidney.” I glanced down at the ground and let out a heavy sigh.

“But it could be,” he murmured, stepping in front of me and tilting my head up by my chin. “I know we can’t just go back to the way it was, but we can work on it.”

“Sid-” I started, before being cut off by his lips. My stomach flopped at the familiar sensation. My hands found their way to his hair, as he pinned my body to the wall.

“Have you seen a dark haired girl?”

The faint voice caused my eyes to shoot open, and my hands to land on Sidney’s chest, pushing him away.

“She’s in leather effect shorts and a lace top.”

“Sid, you have to go,” I whispered. “Cath will kill me if she sees us.”

“Fine,” he nodded, taking my hand. “Come over when you’re done here.”

“Sid, I can’t.”

“If you come over, I’ll know there’s still a chance for us.” He kissed my cheek and quickly disappeared around the back of the building.

I stared into the darkness, flabbergasted by his words.

“What are you doing over here, Margot?”

“Uh, just getting air,” I mumbled, glancing down at the item Sidney left in my hand. An inaudible gasp escaped my lips at the sight of a key.

“You’ve been out here for quite awhile,” Kris spoke, causing me to shove my hand in my pocket and turn to face the couple.

“Sorry,” I muttered. “I got distracted by my thoughts.”

“Come back inside for a bit,” Catherine said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. “We can head out in a bit if you want.”

“Sure, I just want to make a quick phone call.”

“To who?”

“I want to call Pappy,” I told them. “You know, make sure everything is okay.”

“Margot,” Catherine chuckled. “The girls are fine.”

“Did you not worry the first time you left them with someone else?” I quizzed.

“Alright,” she giggled, shaking her head. “We’ll see you inside.”

I waited for the couple to round the corner before pulling my phone out of my black clutch. I punched in a number, and waited for my father to answer.

“You know you don’t have to check up on me,” he laughed. “I took pretty good care of you, didn’t I?”

“Yes,” I grumbled. “That’s not why I called. I’m sure the girls are being complete angels for grandpappy.”

“They are. Went down easily. Now, what is it you need.”

“I am in a bit of a jam.”

“Oh, a sticky situation, is it.”

“Pappy,” I groaned.

“What’s going on, Margot?”

“I saw Sidney tonight.”

“Do I need to kick his ass?”

“No, no, nothing like that. He gave me a key to his house, and told me that if I come over tonight, he’ll know there is still a chance for us.”

“What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. He told me he still loves me, that he wants to work it out, but I just don’t know.”

“What have you got to lose?”

“Everything,” I said. “Georgie and Nichole are my world. What if it doesn’t work out and he takes them away?”

“I doubt he’ll take them away.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“He obviously thinks you are a great mother, Margot. He would have filed for custody if he didn’t think so.”

“I guess so,” I sighed. “But what do I do? Is it foolish if I go?”

“Do you still love him?”

“Of course I do.”

“So, what’s foolish about taking a chance? I took a chance with your mother, and I ended up with you. Then I took a chance with Charles, and I ended up with a husband.”

“Thanks, Pappy. What about the girls?”

“If you decide to go, I’ll take care of the girls until you come home tomorrow. I want you to be happy. If you think being with Sidney tonight will make you happy, I say take the chance.”