Days of Black and Gold

Play the Lottery

“I’m not buying a house,” I muttered, rolling my eyes. Leaning my head against the window, I stared out at the passing scenery. “I can’t afford anything. I don’t even have a job.”

“I’ll buy it then.”

“Like hell you will. This is one season. I think I can manage living in a rental for one season.”

“Come on, Margot, let me do this.”

“Sidney,” I sighed, turning back to face him as he took the exit to Wheeling. “What are you going to do with an empty house?”

“I’ll find something,” he shrugged. “I’m sure I can rent it to one of the ECHL guys during the next season. Who knows? Maybe they will want to keep you on for more seasons.”

“If we are going to make this relationship work, I would prefer to at least be in the same state.”

“You would also like to have a good job with a hockey team.”

“So, I’ll find something with a high school or university team.”

“Really, Margot?” He shot his eyebrow up, skeptically. “You would give up working with an ECHL team just so that you were closer to me?”

“I gave up working with an NHL team to be with you,” I blurted.

“I know,” he whispered.

“I don’t regret doing it, Sid. I’m glad I did. We have two wonderful little girls, and I would never change that.”

“I don’t want you to resent me.”

“I could never. If there is anything that our time apart has helped me realise, it is that I could never be angry or hateful toward you.”

“I guess that’s a relief.”

“Look, these past couple of weeks have been great. I love having you around to help with the girls, and to just be around in general.”

“I’m not planning on going anywhere.”

“Which I am more than happy to hear,” I smiled. “But no one knows what the future holds.”

“If you want it, too, my future will be holding you.”

“That’s really cheesy,” I giggled, as Sidney pulled to a stop in front on a tall brick apartment building.

“I mean it, Margot. I want the three of you in my future, and one of these days I’d like you to be wearing that ring again. I might have to get a different one that isn’t jinxed.”

“I never thought you were one to be superstitious,” I commented, sliding out of the front seat. “Please, can you keep an open mind as we look at these rentals? I don’t want to spend all this time looking at places that you are going to shoot down because you think I need to own.”

“I’ll do my best,” he grumbled, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and kissing my temple. “We need to find someone the look after the girls when you’re working, too.”

“For now, that can wait,” I whispered, smiling and sending a small wave to a blonde woman approaching us. “Hey, Tanya. How are you?”

“I’m not too bad,” she grinned, shaking my hand. “I didn’t realise you would be bringing someone.”

“It was a last minute decision,” I explained, glancing up at Sidney. “Tan, this is Sidney. Sid, this is my friend Tanya. She does real estate within the area and offered to help me a few months ago.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Sidney smiled. “How do you two know each other?”

“She used to date one of the Caps,” I told him. “We kept in touch when she broke it off.”

Instead of responding, Sidney nodded and followed us into the building. “Why are we looking for an apartment so early?”

“I just want to get an idea of what Marg is looking for. Then I can narrow my search down when it comes time to rent.”

“What if she changes her mind?”

“What do you mean?” Tanya asked, hitting the button for the elevator.

“Sidney,” I groaned as the doors opened in front of us. “You said you’d keep an open mind.”

“I am,” he assured me. “I’m just curious what the plan might be if you decide to buy.”

“I didn’t think you were in the market.”

“I’m not,” I sighed, sending Tanya an exhausted look. “Sid brought it up on our drive. Thought it might be a good idea to consider alternatives to renting.”

“We can discuss it, if you want.”

“No,” I shook my head as Sidney nodded.

“I really think we should.”

“I told you I can’t afford it.”

“I told you I’d buy.”

The elevator dinged, and we followed Tanya out and down the hall to the apartment she wanted to show us.

“Buying wouldn’t be a bad option,” Tanya stated, unlocking the door and letting us step through first. “If you are planning on being here for awhile, it might be the best choice.”

“That’s the thing, Tan. I don’t think I’ll be here longer than one season.”

“It’s not a big deal,” Sidney argued, glancing around. “I think we could easily rent it out the following season.”

I rolled my eyes again, and ventured further into the apartment. The foyer led to an open concept kitchen living room combo, with nicely renovated cabinets and countertops. “This is nice.”

“It has a small balcony.” Tanya pointed to the glass sliding doors. “And the bedrooms are down the hall.”

“How many again?”

“Two in this one.”

“And baths?” Sidney quizzed.

“One.”

“Would you prefer two?” He asked me.

“I’m not picky,” I shrugged, heading down the hall. “As long as I’ve got a place to shit and shower, I’m happy.”

Tanya giggled a followed us into the first bedroom. “Any thoughts about the size?”

“Is this the master?” Sidney raised a brow.

“It is.”

“It’s about the same size as the room I have now, isn’t it?”

“Yours is definitely larger,” Tanya laughed. “You were never good with room sizes.”

“I’m not supposed to,” I defended with a chuckled. “I can tell you all about the human body, but when it comes to space and directions, I am complete rubbish.”

The rest of our time in Wheeling was spent in a similar way. We would enter an apartment or townhouse, Sidney would bring up buying, and Tanya would chuckle at our bickering. By the last place, I was ready to get back to my children and possibly grab a nap.

“It was really great seeing you again, Tan.” I gave the woman a hug and smiled as I pulled away. “I think there is a lot I have to think about before I give you a concise answer on what I’m looking for.”

“Put a lot of thought into Sidney’s suggestion,” she hinted with a smirk. “He’s a smart man.”

“He likes to think so, too,” I muttered, rolling my eyes. “Anyway, I’ll be in touch.”

“Looking forward to it,” she grinned, before leaning a bit closer and dropping her voice. “You and Sidney are really cute together. I hope it works out this time.”

I shot a glance at Sidney, who was busy with his phone, and smiled. “Thanks. I really hope so, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! Thanks for reading! I've finally gotten over my holiday drag, and have gotten back to writing :)